Maximizing MIx

Vuts

Jul 14, 2005
Athens, Greece
www.fourwalls.gr
Hi

I ve trying to get my mix sound louder and louder but i m getting that ugly squashed top end.
The mix still sounds lower the everything else i hear. (Chimaira, nevermore etc)
Any suggestions?
I try to send every track in the mix as loud as possible but still something is not right

What do you guys do?
Thnx

Well, for starters I'd make sure that no single element in the mix is overpowering others. Usually if you're a guitarist, you tend to set the guitars too loud and they can mess a lot with your ability to get the mix as loud as possible. I would also say to experiment compressing elements in the mix itself. For example if you find the snare is shooting out and squaring off too much during mastering, slam it a bit during the actual mix and then see how it reacts to master limiting.

I think it's just about finding a nice balance of levels in the mix itself. Provided that fails, you can just keep compounding the stereo stem with multiple compressions until it gets flat enough to get limited 'transparently'.

Moonlapse said:
Well, for starters I'd make sure that no single element in the mix is overpowering others. Usually if you're a guitarist, you tend to set the guitars too loud and they can mess a lot with your ability to get the mix as loud as possible. I would also say to experiment compressing elements in the mix itself. QUOTE]
that's true !! if you have 2 guitars ( 1 panned left 1 panned right )
toghether they wil get more decibel. if you have the guitars both like on 0 db.
try them both on like 7 db. it would sound much better.

Hmm, with fear of sounding like a "knowitall" - why louder??? I would go for better - and then let the consumer turn up the volume. You cannot compete with masteringgear costing more than your house and a engineer with trained ears. Not much help from me - sorry. What gear do you use for your mastering?

Vuts, are you talking about the mixdown stage or the mastering stage?

When you refer to maximizing the tracks in the mix, that leads me to believe it's the mixdown stage. If that's the case, you should just try to get a good, balanced mix and not worry about the loudness yet.

For a mixdown you should typically keep your peaks around -6db or lower, to be safe. And by all means don't go crazy with compression on the master buss during mixdown. Just a low ratio and a few db of peak reduction to solidify the mix, if necessary.

The loudness comes in the mastering stage, and for that you need a decent (hardware or software) mastering compressor/limiter and eq at the very least.

But if you don't really know what you're doing on the mastering side, you're never gonna get it as "loud" as a major commercial release. I'm not saying don't try. Try everything, but maybe lower your expectations a bit on the loudness part when referencing against recordings you like.

Turn down your reference material and focus more on comparing how things sound and make changes based on eq, panning, compression on single instruments, etc. Improving in those areas will really help you get more volume in the end.

Not knowing anything about your project or setup, I'd say just try to make it sound as balanced as possible on a few different systems within your reach -- reference monitors, car, home stereo, computer speakers, etc. Find the loudest point at which it still sounds good and stop.

Like Asmus said, people can just turn up the volume!

A large part of "mastering" to me is getting the MIX right in the first place. It's important to cut virtually everything through some kind of compression, and compress "in the box" as well, but don't go overboard with this and watch out for pumping.

Loudness, and apparent loudness, are not the end goal IMO. Many credible mastering engineers, such as Bob Katz, are resisting the idiotic "louder is better" trend, as it renders the dynamic range of digital recording useless, and can make things actually sound WORSE at radio.

Another tip, is to use some analyzers, to se how everything is panned, dB, etc, which can help you, if you don't got super ears.