Maybe looking for a new guitar...help

TheWinterSnow

Den Mørke Natt
Oct 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
The honeymoon with my Agile Interceptor Pro 625 has been long over for some time, but was recently dismayed when I realized that it sounds more dull and less resonance than my LTD F-50 that I bought out of pocket after tax about 170 USD. The strings have a very quick transient with a quick and hollow decay, the low end of the tone is very unstable and has little to no weight. After doing some clean test I found that the guitar has about a 20dB shelf on everything above 5KHz that my LTD doesn't it goes smoothly down about 10dB at about 20KHz. The LTD is much lighter and when you knock on the wood it resonates longer, the Agile on the other hand has less resonant volume and quickly dies. The fact that it is heavier than hell indicates that the wood wasn't treated correctly and has way too much water. Sad considering the guitar was over 800 USD when it was all said and done. That amount of high end loss explains why my tone still sounds sloppy in the low end even with an OD pedal.

I know that there are a few Agile owners around here and was curious if that was normal or did I get a dud. Even when I first got the guitar the frets were worn out like they had been salvaged from another used guitar. The wear on the frets appear to be like they were worn from string bending, not from incompetent fret install, there is tones of fret buzz too even at medium action because the frets weren't even properly dressed and leveled. I hear everyone talking about how awesome they are for the price and quality but the sad thing is while mine looks expensive, feels expensive, it has the sound quality of a cheap starter guitar, similar to that of the LTD 10 series starter pack guitars.

I am definitely thinking of selling it to save up for a new guitar, something under 1000 USD with the same features. Unfortunately I cannot find a plain vanilla guitar spec'd for traditional metal playing. ESP/LTD makes most of their guitars out of Alder :puke:...I would prefer Mahogany and their deluxe line that has mahogany bodies are have that gaudy abalone and the ones that don't are Alder. I'd like just a plain vanilla guitar that is simple and to the point:

*Mahogany Body
*Maple Neck (neck-thru)
*Ebony Fretboard (no fret markers)
*Floyd Rose (would sacrifice for an Evertune though)
*EMG 81/85
*Translucent flame maple top or no visible top (quilted maple is gross)
*Binding is cool, don't care either way as long as it isn't tasteless if it does have binding
Fine with solid colors or natural wood that isn't tasteless, Black, White, Dark Greens, Purples, Reds (Reds are pushing it though), Teals are cool.

The only thing I could find is the new PRS Torero in white. I have been saying my next guitar would be white, but I don't care either way, just really want something with the same features in the same price range that sounds as good as it looks and feels.

Suggestions?

E V E R T U N E !!! Can't see going any other route after watching those mind blowing videos. Im so sick and tired spending more time tuning then go for good takes. The ESP ones are pretty cheap right? Comes with 81's too!

E V E R T U N E !!! Can't see going any other route after watching those mind blowing videos. Im so sick and tired spending more time tuning then go for good takes. The ESP ones are pretty cheap right? Comes with 81's too!

Yeah the only thing keeping me away was the fact that the body is Alder. Last time I checked LTD's quality control for Alder was really bad, which I heard is normal with Alder to begin with. My M-207 and F-50 are both Alder and sound miles different the wood feels, sounds and resonates differently. I like the midrange honk of Mahogany too. It would be nice to try the MH-1000 Evertune but I doubt I will find one in a local store.

Went into Guitar Center because they seem to always have a Used Torero every time I am there, no luck this time but they did have the Mikael Akerfeldt signature which as soon as I strummed acoustically could tell it was on a whole other level than my Agile, cheaper too. I expected the SE line to play cheap because the other guitarist in my band has a SE Mushok that sounds like crap, when you play large chords the volume of certain strings acoustically are too low to hear and the chords don't mix harmoniously together, even through an amp, feels more like a $200 LTD. The Akerfeldt model's clean sound was as good as a $1600 American Strat that I played after, solid guitar and ebony board too. I could get over not having a Floyd, the whammy bar could do more than what I need, but I couldn't get over the single cut limited access in the upper frets and the Opeth logo, I can't stand signature guitars with band logos on them.

Both EC and MH 1000 evertune guitars have mahogany bodies. Sorry didn't see you wanted the Floyd Rose and neck thru. But if ever want a non floyd rose guitar the ltd ec deluxes would be a great choice, they meet most of your requirements, sound awesome and they are so pretty (but a lot of metal guys have them so you won't be that original :lol: ).

Consider this, it's cheap ( I think it's indonesian ) and sounds like a 1000 bucks guitar, you should try it:
http://www.espguitars.com/products/8854-h-351fr-blk?category_id=1963298-h-series

That's right the Evertune guitars are Mahogany. My beef with them was the rosewood board and inlays. Wish I knew where to play one around my area.

The only Caparison specs wise I would care for is the TAT Special, if I could find one in my price range, it could be worth getting, the other models on the other hand, bolt on is kind of the biggest no outside fixed bridges. Its also hard finding a Caparison that doesn't have that gaudy sponge finish or straight black, but I would still settle for black.

Will have to see if I can find any of those TATs floating around.

The LTD H-351FR in white looks pretty tits, again so does the PRS Torero in white. I am really weary to just buy one on the internet after getting the turd that I got online, local music stores don't carry shit so playing one that I actually like is going to be a little difficult.

Alder isn't a bad sounding wood and in a neck-thru guitar it's barely going to influence the tone anyways.

Its not necessarily tone I am worried about, but more of easier access to the fretboard. Not only is my arm span about two inches shorter than normal, I broke my left wrist twice and the second time damaged my ulnar nerve combined with a relatively mediocre skill makes solos harder than they should be, as well as simply playing standing up which I do a lot of considering band practice and shows. My minor disability has me to the point that even though I play my guitar relatively high I still need a footrest just to play solos with and the one that my band made sits 18 inches high, and even with that help, any upper fret restriction really screws my playing. Unfortunately when it comes to band practice and shows I don't always get to luxury of using my foot rest even with a neck-thru without that rest I struggle to play. I have enough trouble playing a bolt on and set neck guitars when sitting down in the classical position which I use 9 times out of 10.

Its more of a playability crutch.

^doesn't HAVE to be neck through then, cause a lot of set necks guitars I saw (from ESP/LTD and also Schecter, talked to Jaymz about it last night actually) have that joint where it looks like neck through...can't tell you the name for that now though.

But ebony fretboard w/o marks and a FR for under 1000usd is pretty tough to find new I think.

And yeah, ESP/Ltd does some strange stuff lately...altho I don't mind alder, I think it's cool too.

^doesn't HAVE to be neck through then, cause a lot of set necks guitars I saw (from ESP/LTD and also Schecter, talked to Jaymz about it last night actually) have that joint where it looks like neck through...can't tell you the name for that now though.

But ebony fretboard w/o marks and a FR for under 1000usd is pretty tough to find new I think.

And yeah, ESP/Ltd does some strange stuff lately...altho I don't mind alder, I think it's cool too.

You are talking about that new "set-thru" thing ESP is doing on some guitars that is a hybrid of bolt on, set neck and neck through, yeah those are cool. I would almost prefer a heel-less bolt on like the caparisons have, too bad most of their paint jobs are a complete eye sore.

As for price it could be more than $1000 USD but within reason and it doesn't have to be new.
Ebony board may not be a must for me though, a simple ebony dye could fix the aesthetics though I do prefer the feel of Ebony, and I could even live with fret markers, but prefer them to be as small as possible, the Jackson and ESP arrows and triangles are lame IMO. The absolute must for me though are ease of higher fret access, 25.5 inch scale and a non-fixed bridge, though I listed my preferred specs in the OP.

Its not necessarily tone I am worried about, but more of easier access to the fretboard. Not only is my arm span about two inches shorter than normal, I broke my left wrist twice and the second time damaged my ulnar nerve combined with a relatively mediocre skill makes solos harder than they should be, as well as simply playing standing up which I do a lot of considering band practice and shows. My minor disability has me to the point that even though I play my guitar relatively high I still need a footrest just to play solos with and the one that my band made sits 18 inches high, and even with that help, any upper fret restriction really screws my playing. Unfortunately when it comes to band practice and shows I don't always get to luxury of using my foot rest even with a neck-thru without that rest I struggle to play. I have enough trouble playing a bolt on and set neck guitars when sitting down in the classical position which I use 9 times out of 10.

Its more of a playability crutch.

This has literally nothing to do with what I said?

I'm confused was that a rhetorical question or a statement? I was under the influence that your original post you were thinking my desire for a neck-thru was based on tone, I was expressing that it is for functional reasons. Of course the heel-less bolt on necks are completely fine by me but they only seem to be on expensive guitars out of my price range.

Some of the Washburn Parallaxe guitars meet most of your requirements. The ones that come with a Floyd have Seymour's in them instead of EMG's.

Ah yeah, set-thru it was!

My almost 10 year old LTD has that. Really cool!

Seems one of the "newer" (or whenever they stoped making them in alder) ESP Horizons could meet your needs.
My bandmate has one (from around 04-05 I'd guess, they made all horizons of alder back then I think), and I think the neck is pretty easy accessable-> neck through.
Around 2000usd new, but maybe you'd find a good deal that should get you closer to yout budget.
Now they make them in mahag+maple, with the emg 81/85 combination & FR.
Ebony fretsboard, and the fretmarks are just the small dots on top of the frets.
http://www.espguitars.com/products/8636-horizon-fr-ii-str?category_id=1963270-horizon

For some reason now they offer really limited finishes and colors, but I have been out the loop with ESP/LTD for the last few years, so I dunno when that started.
I know that they started to switch the horizons to mahag soon after my buddy bought his, so maybe you'll be able to find a horizon from around 07-08, with the specs and the finish/colour you want.

Since when were the mid level LTD Guitars made in China? That is a scary thought. When I bought my F-50 they were being made in Indonesia, a year or two later they moved over to Taiwan and every time I pickup one they are nothing like mine. Back over on the ESP forum I remember a lot of guys saying that the newer mid and high grade LTDs weren't as good when they moved from Korea to Indonesia which happened when the lower models moved to Taiwan. I thought that only the LTD 10 models where made in China. If they made another move to bring their manufacture cost down, are the Chinese models good relative to their Indonesian or Korean counterpart? With having the heap of junk that was made in Korea I am a little weary of a Chinese guitar. Have also had bad luck with made in Mexico guitars, my Fender Strat being one of them.

On an off-topic note I was also going to say that in terms of quality my M-207 is much different in quality than my buddy's SC-207, mine is much nicer. I thought it was Korean, as his is Indonesian, but then I realized it only had a serial number, then I remembered there were fingerprint glue stains on the fret board on some of the frets and most of the fret inlays have a little bit of glue coming out. Then I looked at the font of the 12 fret marker and compared it to my F-50, the M-207 is small and doesn't look as nice. I think my 7 string is a damn fake. That explains a lot, like how to wood on the body is so soft that tension from the strings warped the mounting hole for the posts on the Floyd so that the posts come out of the body at an angle towards the neck of the guitar; every time you grab the whammy bar or rather move the bridge around, it never returns to center and has to be retuned. That explains why the Floyd would always rust up, the locking rods would rust and seize in the saddle, and the material of the rod was soft enough that trying to pull it out would strip the hex end. Also explains why the guy I bought it from on eBay was trying to get rid of a guitar that was almost $700 brand new at the time for $200, he wasn't a dealer and he lived in the US. The guitar has been unplayable and as such was taken a part to be fixed but has slowly decomposing and falling apart local Luther wanted to charge 300 dollars just to make the drill hole bigger, fill it with a dowel and re-drill the holes, said fuck that I will do it myself. Never had the extra funds to fix it, especially spending my extra money on Corvus Audio, now I really don't want to fix it.