MAYH lyric interpretations

TheBigJones47

giant slab of flesh
Nov 19, 2002
B/CS, Texas, U.S.A.
Visit site
haha, I know I just asked what people thought about the Still Life lyrics, but I have an even harder time grasping all the lines of MAYH. From what I understand, he dies, and then watches his lover silently as a ghost. Then he realizes that she loves him no longer, or perhaps never did ("The bond we never spoke of, once stark and enticing now slowly smoldering to dust"..."I cried, I knew she had lied, Her obsession had died"... "False love turned to pure hate"). He perhaps begins tormenting her as a specter, which makes her hate him in this way, and perhaps go a little loony ("She rose, screaming at closed doors"..."She turned and faced me for the first time; Run away"... "You speak to me - using cold words") I don't know what happens after all this, or if even that part is very accurate. Again, if anyone has ideas on this album, I'd be terribly interested to hear them, it's an awesome story (from what I understand/misunderstand about it).

Originally posted by TheBigJones47
haha, I know I just asked what people thought about the Still Life lyrics, but I have an even harder time grasping all the lines of MAYH. From what I understand, he dies, and then watches his lover silently as a ghost. Then he realizes that she loves him no longer, or perhaps never did ("The bond we never spoke of, once stark and enticing now slowly smoldering to dust"..."I cried, I knew she had lied, Her obsession had died"... "False love turned to pure hate"). He perhaps begins tormenting her as a specter, which makes her hate him in this way, and perhaps go a little loony ("She rose, screaming at closed doors"..."She turned and faced me for the first time; Run away"... "You speak to me - using cold words") I don't know what happens after all this, or if even that part is very accurate. Again, if anyone has ideas on this album, I'd be terribly interested to hear them, it's an awesome story (from what I understand/misunderstand about it).

Sounds like you figured it out.

You got it basically right in the overall concept. There used to be an interview or article out on the web that Michael roughly explains the concept of MAYH and Still Life... funny thing was, I'm not totally convinced that he even knew for a 100% what the concepts mean. Lol!! He was very vague... almost saying that there isn't a clear concept to both cd's...

MAYH - is about a man trying to contact his lover/woman from the other side... whether she actually betrays or just can't communicate, or even is aware that he still exists is open to debate...

I kind of agree with godmachine12. Still Life to me is an equal or even more interesting story... since the music is more emotionally involved with the concept... go read the lyrics while listening to it... just fantastic.