MAYH with bonus tracks - remastered?

armakuni

New Metal Member
Apr 26, 2007
I just got MAYH in the mail.. only Opeth album I didn't have :)

Anyway, I got the one with the bonus tracks and I had a look in Adobe Audition. Compared to the MP3 files I already had (yeah I admit it.. I own the album now though!), this version seems to be louder (it's more "brickwalled" than the MP3s I already had).

Now - does anyone know if the one with the bonus tracks has been remastered to be even louder?

I really hate how they pump up CDs these days.. all that clipping and ugh :(

mhh .. dumbass!

mp3 files are always shitty if u compare it with the orig. cd.
so, buy all opeth CD's and get the ultimate metal-eargasm!

No I mean the waves are smaller in the MP3 one, it looks more brickwalled in the CD version I have. So I'm wondering if those MP3s can be from the original release (since there are no MP3s of the bonus tracks).
That's why I suspect the one with the bonus tracks might be remastered to be even louder (and probably more clipping etc).

It could just be a crap mp3 encoding. For some reason not all mp3 encoders normalize tracks. It could still be brickwalling but at a lower volume, if that makes sense.

all 3 reissues with bonustracks were remastered. Imo the MAYH is the most decent reissue since it has decent bonustracks (from tribute albums), the bonustracks on the other reissues are "the suck" and really break the flow of those albums (yeah I know they can be skipped...).

As for the remastering, I kinda prefere the original mixes, but that's cause I was used to them. Some details of songs sound different with the remasters.

It seems to me they were.. I just ripped Orchid from my original CD (the reissue) and it's much louder than the MP3s of the original release.

I guess I'll have to look for the originals then.. I hate remastering!

I don't have a scanner but I'll have a look.

However, perhaps someone from Opeth can confirm or deny my suspicions? That would be the best way to be sure :) I've seen the vocalist posting here so perhaps he could be nice enough to comment on this?

AnTz0r - perhaps I can send you a tune I ripped from Orchid and you can compare it to the original CD?

Well, I had some guy send me a rip of the original album in great quality.

I compared that to a WAV file I ripped myself from Orchid using Exact Audio Copy.

.. and I still got the same results.

Seems they're different - I don't know why or if they're remastered, but the soundwaves do look different on the two different releases.

I have to agree with armakuni and say they sound remastered. Some details (be it very minor ones) just sound different. Maybe they just pumped up the volume wich makes the small differences, I dunno.

I guess I'll have to look for the originals then.. I hate remastering!

For fuck sake. I hate it when people who evidently don't know what they're talking about regarding this subject make comments like this. How can you possibly fucking hate remastering? Yes, some are done badly. But they don't work on top of the originally mastered files you know... just because it's been remastered does NOT mean there will be digital clipping. (of course, there COULD be, if it's done badly, but a lot of remasters are a vast improvement on the original.)

Thank you.

Btw, I haven't heard the original versions of the first three albums. But they're so terribly produced (what with cymbal clipping etc on MAYH) anyway that I really don't have much of an urge to hear the originals.

I have all the reason in the world to hate remastering. For one thing, once an album is remastered, they stop selling the original! That alone is enough for me to despise it.

Second, all the remasters I have are worse than the originals. I'd rather have all albums in their original state.