McCain Picks VP

Were you there? A lot of people who were, soldiers and reporters alike, both would disagree with you.

Yes, I was there...and I was in the Sunni Triangle as well. We got bombed at least 3 times a day with mortars and rockets. I got so used to it that I usually slept through them during the day because I worked the night shift. I would go outside and smoke before the Alarm Green was sounded because it got so commonplace. They attacked us while we slept and while we were awake; one of my friends had a mortar explode directly over his face in his tent one night, he died instantly and my other friend sleeping in the same tent got his foot blown off and had his leg amputated from the knee down. I'm not going to say it was nice because it FUCKING SUCKED, but as far as our objectives were concerned, we did what we came to do. There were setbacks, but we took over the country in 21 days and set up their democratic government after we got the fighting down to a low roar. The shit you see on the news isn't half the shit that's going on there and is only the very worst part of it. Do you realize how big Baghdad is? One attack in one part isn't even heard in another part. It's like Israel...it's not as bad as the media has made it out to be. Granted, the shitty parts of it suck, of course, but this is war...this isn't a vacation.

Again, by the objectives set, the Iraq war was a complete success. The occupation, however, is another story, but is still being written. And again, it sucks but it's still a lot better than it was in 2004 when I was there. It's a horrible place but again, IT'S WAR.

You are also correct that the US should never have been in Iraq in the first place, especially after it was discovered there were no WMDs. We felt lied to and betrayed by our own government who sent us there to fight for something that was non-existent. This was one of the several reasons that cemented my decision to leave the military after 9 years. Had there been WMDs, then we would've been vindicated and things would've gone a lot differently for the military and Bush.

You shouldn't really watch the news if you want to see what's really happening over there...just go over there and see for yourself. Yes, there are places that suck ass and you'd never want to go back, but the entire war isn't like that. They never show the troops building schools and hospitals and helping the children in the streets who have nothing to eat. I bet you didn't hear about the Iraqi people we flew to Germany on our dime in our C-17s who were injured by bomb blasts from suicide bombers...those places reserved for US military injured troops were given to civilians. They'll never show you that because they want this whole thing to be one nice, neat clusterfuck when it really isn't. Bush fucked up, yes, but everything in Iraq isn't as it appears on television all the time. I'm not saying it's a vacation spot, but there is really and truly a lot of progress being made right now.

I vote we go back to B-52 and B-1B bombings. Probably more effective than driving over IEDs. Plus, I've always had a fascination with seeing it raining bombs.

What do you mean, go back to B-52 and B-1 bombings? They never went away. The BUFF (Big Ugly Flying Fucker, as it's lovingly called), or B-52, just had its life extended to 2020, I believe. They've had all of their avionics completely upgraded and continue their service to this day.

Now if you mean carpet bombing, that's another thing. The AF still carpet bombs, but you can't carpet bomb an entire city when you're trying to win hearts and minds and depose only the dictator. But I see what yer sayin'...

no shit! i am disgusted with McCain, totally trying to get the pissed off Hillary supporters who hate Obama for not picking her

You're right.... it's too obvious, but you know what ?
It'll work on those dumb Hillery voters...
All day on MSNBC they showed her in the senate and holding her new born...
and talked about the fact that she has 5 kids.....
"oh look a strong woman who is juggling a career and a baby!"
what woman who is a Hillery fanatic wouldn't like THAT?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, I was there...and I was in the Sunni Triangle as well.
:lol: Really? I thought you were Italian and had a bunch of cats... my apologies man. I didn't mean any disrespect.

The shit you see on the news isn't half the shit that's going on there and is only the very worst part of it.
I obviously know that, I don't watch CNN, or any of that shit, I rely on independent sources or Reuters. And I wouldn't say the entire war has been all bad either, but there are a lot of people... reporters, top officials, and soldiers who will say that overall, the bad weighed against the good, things are pretty shit there.

Again, by the objectives set, the Iraq war was a complete success. The occupation, however, is another story, but is still being written.

You're 100% right, you got me, funny thing is I had this VERY discussion with a friend a few years back...

You shouldn't really watch the news if you want to see what's really happening over there.......They never show the troops building schools and hospitals and helping the children in the streets who have nothing to eat. I bet you didn't hear about the Iraqi people we flew to Germany on our dime in our C-17s who were injured by bomb blasts from suicide bombers...those places reserved for US military injured troops were given to civilians. They'll never show you that because they want this whole thing to be one nice, neat clusterfuck when it really isn't. Bush fucked up, yes, but everything in Iraq isn't as it appears on television all the time. I'm not saying it's a vacation spot, but there is really and truly a lot of progress being made right now.

I agree, and in the midst of the debauchle, one group can never be blamed and that is the soldiers. They are there doing their duty, making the best of it. Sure there's bad soldiers who do dumb shit but that happens. As far as the media is concerned, well bad news sells, no one watches if it isn't a crisis. They LOVE when some shit goes down, because ratings go up. Bush fucked up, by going there without a proper plan (I mean there's a lot of documentaries that really make you wonder what the fuck...) but in the end you have to admire the soldiers for being there.

great.... now the news are making it sound like:

"on November this country will have either the first african american president
or the first woman VP"

I can just see people now drifting away from the real important issues and
deciding if to choose a woman or a black man...

btw, they did talk about her:

She is against abortion, and against gun control...

fucking idiot. I hate her already.

im pretty sure heartless_name is the first person ever to respond to every single fucking post in every single fucking thread he reads.

or the first woman VP"

I promise you, no important issues will be decided as a result of this election. We have perfected a system that reinforces the status quo by forcing candidates to try to appeal to everyone, and thereby serve no one.

We are going to continue to piss away money in Vietnam 2.0 regardless of who wins.

The president is going to spend the first half of his tenure making laws (which is the job of the legislative branch) intead of executing them (which is the president's actual job) regardless of who wins.

The president is going to spend the second half of his tenure trying to get a second term regardless of who wins.

We'll be having this argument again in 4 years regardless of who wins.

or the first woman VP"

not only is this stupid ultra conservative bitch against abortion, but against it in the most harsh instances, such as incest and rape, what a fucked up cunt

:lol: Really? I thought you were Italian and had a bunch of cats... my apologies man. I didn't mean any disrespect.

:lol: :lol: :lol: don't worry! I'm not one of these flag-waving, yellow ribbon displaying morons who gets offended by a differing opinion, especially by the public who really don't know much about what's going on. Short of going over there, you can't really get a good feel for what the situation's like with the lack of quality media channels these days. BBC is one of the better ones, though. I've got thick skin, dude...I've never played that "fighting for your freedom" bullshit card. Because it's just that: bullshit. No one twisted my arm to join the military and no one asked me to go fight for them, therefore I'm not going to throw bullshit in their face when someone actually uses critical thinking about these issues. I remember the emails I would get by all these people, family included, about how proud they were and what I was doing, blah blah blah, etc. I wrote back to them and told them that while I appreciated it, it's not necessary to jerk me off like that. I told them if they wanted to really support the troops, either join the military or volunteer themselves in some capacity over in the desert with the Red Cross or a similar organization. Yellow ribbons and flags don't make you a supporter...action does.

To be honest, all those people who patted us on the back and jumped on that patriotism bandwagon made us sick to our stomachs. We preferred people vehemently against the war because they were at least being honest and true to their ethics, and THAT was the reason we joined the military, so they could voice those opinions freely. Most of the flag-wavers getting their morning lattes from Starbucks every day who didn't have a clue where Iraq even was, "supporting the troops" with their bumper stickers and antenna ribbons, yet never wanted to get too involved made us want to vomit. We saw it as being fake and chickenshit to take a stand on their position because it was popular at the time. Now, most of those same people have jumped on the anti-whatever bandwagon because it's popular now to speak out against the war, which I don't disagree with, per se, but I disagree with their convictions. These people are against the war because we're still there and gas prices are too high, not because of the false pretenses in which it was started.

As far as me, I'm actually American and I was stationed in Italy from March 2003 until November 2005, when I decided to get out after my contract was up with the Air Force. I flew over here on D-day, March 15th, from Baltimore...and I remember all the Army guys flying with me, continuing on to Iraq after my stop in Italy. Let me tell you, EVERYONE is afraid at the beginning of a war, I don't care who you are or how much of a badass you pretend to be. There's always a warrior spirit, but everyone was nervous. That first big push into Iraq was scary. I got there less than a year later, but it was even worse by that time because the insurgents had dug in around Balad and were launching shit at us like rain. The worst part of it was, there was no place to go. There were no bunkers...you had to get underneath a desk at work, jump in a ditch next to the road on your way home, or find cover SOMEWHERE. That feeling of helplessness was worse than the actual attack.

Anyway, I do have three cats and my wife is Italian. I turn 30 on September 21st and plan on quitting smoking for my birthday and I'm going to buy a pipe and start smoking it to commemorate my 30th birthday. I've got a band called Skylab, currently shopping the new album around to labels and looking for a live singer. www.myspace.com/theskylab.

I think that's about it....anything else you wanna know? :lol: