McCain Picks VP

A species indigenous to a single island with an area of less than 800 square miles is not comparable to a species with a range of at least 100,000 square miles. But certainly it is widely accepted that the Dodo was made extinct primarily through the actions of our species. This begs the question: "should we preserve species that are unable to adapt to our influence?"

And for the record, I am not saying anyone is wrong, I am simply looking for reasoned arguments one way or the other.

Honestly, I find discussing the various sides of an issue way more interesting and valuable than forming an opinion about it.

But if I understand your post correctly, you are saying that I am uninformed and perhaps by implication, that you are informed. Why then would you not offer me the benefit of your informed opinion?

Some of the listed species may indeed be extinct, although it is very hard to tell in the case of marine species. There is also some debate recently regarding the possible survival of the Thylacine, although I tend to suspect that is wishful thinking. It is hard to establish the cause of a species becoming extinct, however, especially in historical cases. The megafauna especially are often laid at the feet of ancient humans, but how can we possibly know that?

This begs the question: "should we preserve species that are unable to adapt to our influence?"

And yes, because eventually, with human growth and resource depletion, there's not much that will be able to completely adapt to it unless we die first.

This pick was so strategical on McCain's campaign part... it's awesome! Already got Obama's campaign caught in a clusterfuck of petty comments that got them in trouble to show that they're just like everyone else in the political game, then trying to cover it up a few hours later after people got a hold of the comments.

I love it.

This next 60 days is going to be all about showing the true colors of Obama's campaign, and this pick in VP was the right choice to do so.

My prediction: McCain wins 53% to 45%.