MD421 - This can't be normal, can it?

tgs

Elder
I just bought an MD421, first one I own but not first time I work with it. I bought it specifically for floor tom, but now when I've tried it it gives me crackle. I first thought it might be something else in the chain, but believe me, I tried everything... It all comes down to the mic.

It sounds normal (like it should, or like I remember) up until you put it closer to the drum head. I have to put it almost 10cm up to avoid the crackling, which is where I have it now. It sounds decent and I'll use it like this on this production, but in my mind I wanted it closer.

This surely can't be normal? When I've used it before I'm pretty sure I've had it almost all the way up to the batter head with no distortion or crackle at all. I of course tried moving the mic around to different toms and the result was the same. As far as I know this mic is supposed to be able to handle extremely high SPL, isn't it?

i have one that LITERALLY has half the body broken off. I've used it for vocals/cabs, but it's weird on floor toms and i always end up opting for a 57 instead. maybe it's physically damaged, did you buy new?

i've heard so many floor toms make this sound

because the shell is very slightly warped, just ever so slightly that the head actually rapidly bounces off one section of the wood in very tiny vibrations that makes it sounded like real world distortion.

i've heard so many floor toms make this sound

because the shell is very slightly warped, just ever so slightly that the head actually rapidly bounces off one section of the wood in very tiny vibrations that makes it sounded like real world distortion.

Yeah, that was the first thing that struck my mind of course, especially since the kit he's using is not the best (PDP X7). But I held the mic in my hand and moved it around the kit, moved it to different toms etc, and whenever the source was loud enough it started to crackle. I plugged in an SM57 and did the same thing - no problem at all. Unfortunately it doesn't sound the way I want.

Send it in to your dealer. I suspected my Beta52 was broken and I shipped it to them, they did an inspection free of charge (this was Shure but I'm sure Sennheiser would be just as good, and most of the dealers are the same company anyway unless you're in the US). Turned out it was a fake. If they do find something wrong with it they can repair it for you.

Mic a SPEAKER (not a cab) put a sine-wave through the cab... record it down. See if it sounds distorted or looks squared off in a wave editor.

I used to own one that did the same exact thing. I dumped it on ebay, so I never found out what the problem actually was.

Originally Posted by arv_foh
Did you buy that 421 off eBay? Sounds like you have a broken/fake 421 there.

Origginally Posted by tgs
No, bought it new from Thomann

Damn - I was about to say case solved - you bought it of the guy dumping his broken gear on ebay.:mad: :headbang:

Oh well - I'm sure Sennheiser or Thomann will take care of you.

If anyone's interested: I wrote to Thomann about it and they arranged with UPS to pick it up. I got a new one which I just tested and it works the way it should. It's the first time I had to deal with a return to Thomann and I have to say I'm very satisfied with the way it worked! I didn't have to pay a cent and the mic was replaced with a new one, didn't even have to wait for a repair!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your tips and pointers!!

It's great that Thomann are usually so uncomplicated when dealing with this. When I had a problem with an interface, I gave them a rough description and they immediately send out another one as well as a postage paid parcel label.