Me playing Eyes of Medusa on Drums

DavidPartay

Cold Forged
Oct 26, 2004
Australia

The video description says it all, this was a single take on a bad day when I didn't have much time, but it still turned out ok ;).

Thanks to ... the dude on here who explained the pattern played by the guitar/bassdrum in the verse some time ago :)

Also, King of Terrors:

and Evolution

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome videos!

I don't know how you drummers are able to get your hands and your feet to play different patterns like that... that's crazy! Medusa seems like a difficult song for that reason; the kick pattern is 3/4 during the main riff and 5/8 (I believe) during most of the verses, with the snare and cymbals in 4. I can't even begin to wrap my head around that.

Also, hearing just the drums when the main riff in King of Terrors kicks in (1:00 in the video) makes the riff seem so different. It's like the drums are in a shuffle feel (6/8), but the guitar/bass is definitely not giving off that vibe. Interesting.

Thanks man :)

The trick is just really... as always, starting simple. You have to learn what the patterns sound like played against each other, and once you become familiar with how it sounds it's easier to process it mentally and send the commands to your limbs :)

The verse pattern took a LOT of time (my practise is generally quite unfocused and unmotivated, so I tend to take a while to learn things) and even now sometimes I stuff it up :).

I've found through working through different things that generally, most patterns against 4 or 6 are a bit easier to get a feel for (I generally practise patterns from 3 - 8 against each other) but playing 5 against 7 or vice versa is still blowing my mind :p 7 against 8 or 6, or 5 against 4 or 6 are both quite easy because the resolution is either one note behind or ahead of the previous.

And yeah - King of Terrors... That bit you're talking about, when I first watched the video of Jason playing it (I think on the DVD that came with Paradise Lost) it blew my mind, because the mix was different and it threw me for six, seeing how Jason was feeling it compared to how I'd always heard it on the record.

So I guess that same feeling has come through on my interpretation of it :)

Thanks man, but stick to it! Once you get the pattern stuck in your head you'll find it starts to come naturally :). Just takes a bit of time... and of course, practise it slow :)

I have all of the patterns down at this point. I can play them at slower and faster tempos... I just don't have a good feel to my playing anymore. I've been away from drumming for too long, so everything sounds rigid.
My musical knowledge is at its best, but my application is holding me back.

I highly agree with your pointers, though.
At first, the patterns are very tough to learn, and when you're just starting to learn the song, it is nearly impossible to get back on track if you lose it!

If I remember correctly, I believe some of the patterns are 3/4 over 4/4, and 5/4 over 4/4. I love this song!

Nice playing dude. Eyes of Medusa is such darkly awesome song.

The only disappointment was the sound, but that's probably because I saw the studio setting and automatically expected a studio recording.