Me playing the Funeral Portrait solo

3-4 years now, and any comment is appreciated no need to apologize for giving a negative comment, and yeah there's room for improvement i guess!

I'd need to listen to the song again, but to be honest that doesn't sound like any solo on any Opeth song I've ever heard.
You look like a decent guitarist, why not just play your own stuff instead of aping someone else?

The "My Anthony playing Opeth" video is much worse than yours. Some fat kid, clearly being filmed by his mum, playing Opeth badly. Or is he playing it? He stops playing and the "music" carries on for a few seconds after. Why post that shit on the internet?

It's not that good. You have the basics down, but you should really start to pay attention to little details and refine techniques like bending. Just focus on one little part of the solo at a time and try to get that perfect instead of playing the whole thing at once and doing it sloppy. Well, hope that helps, keep playing man.

intimidatingcrustaceans said:
You have very interesting picking style...almost Friedmanesque I'd say.

How so? i hold the pick between thumb and middle finger rather than thumb and index, i dont know why, that's how i learnt to pick.

Stormwatch said:
I'd need to listen to the song again, but to be honest that doesn't sound like any solo on any Opeth song I've ever heard.
You look like a decent guitarist, why not just play your own stuff instead of aping someone else?

wtf you serious? how long have yuo been listening to opeth? btw in case you havent noticed, my tuning is in DGCFAD but that still shouldnt make the song sound any different and im not aping man, just decided one day on whim to play it and post it here and see what you guys think thats all thanks for the comment

intimidatingcrustaceans said:
You have very interesting picking style...almost Friedmanesque I'd say.

How so? i hold the pick between thumb and middle finger rather than thumb and index, but hey 'friedmanesque' is :headbang: for me!

i aint play this said:
Haha, what a snob fag

?

Arjen W. said:
It's not that good. You have the basics down, but you should really start to pay attention to little details and refine techniques like bending. Just focus on one little part of the solo at a time and try to get that perfect instead of playing the whole thing at once and doing it sloppy. Well, hope that helps, keep playing man.

great thanks

illidurit said:

well.......... time to get the camera out again!

I hold the pick between my thumb, index and middle finger, so don't worry your style isn't that weird. And I agree with what one guy said that you have a pretty good technique, but that the whole of the solo comes off as a bit sloppy. Not that you should take any advice from me, I've been playing less than 2 years :oops: and I haven't even ever attempted an Opeth solo yet, since I usually just fuck around and improvise on my guitar and make stuff up.

Well, I was planning on creating a topic, but I might as well just post here. I'm looking for a new Opeth solo to learn. I know both solos to Wreath, and Windowpane, I know the one from To Rid the Disease, Leper Affinity (Mikes), Masters Apprentices (Mikes), By the Pain..., some of the Drapery Falls and Peter's part of the joined solo in A Fair Judgement. I've been playing for about 4 and a half years, so theres not much thats out of the question, I've just hit a rut and I don't know what to play :p

And by the way not a bad job on the solo there man, just keep working on it.