Meandering Thoughts: What to do with LotFP?

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
The future.

The future, the future, the future.

I've pretty much committed myself to 4 LotFPs in the coming year (including the one to be released), so that's more or less 550€ minus orders. OK.

What to do with it?

I'm sending off copies to over forty record labels (not even bothering with Century Media or Nuclear Blast or anything of that size), in hopes of getting promos. The more I have to choose from, the better the reviews I actually write will be. With the current format allowing for maybe 12 reviews an issue, most of what arrives will be unreviewed. The rest gets the email interview, which the band can ignore or not at its leisure. And those things do get read so I don't even get to feel shifty about the arrangement. I get to be choosy as to what I put in print. Everyone wins.

So how to choose what to review? I keep putting mental priorities in order. Spectacular albums, then unsigned bands, then Finnish bands, then whatever albums I have witty statements prepared for. No, maybe just albums that inspire a rant of some sort, things that trigger observations beyond the albums. No, maybe just albums that exemplify heavy metal characteristics. No, maybe just things I actually buy, and let the promo stuff serve to keep my perspective modern. No, maybe just bands with members that have no other side projects. No, maybe something else.

I just have this urge to have an ethic to all of it, some real way of deciding things before another album slips through the mailbox. Basically assert control over the content of LotFP instead of letting participating record labels do so.

Difficult to decide.

One thing I am going to do differently next issue is not just write and print. It occurs to me that while I'm waiting for the proofread copy to come back, I'm not really just wanting proofreading. I'm wanting a direct challenge to some of the ideas, the entire presentation, not just a check on spelling, grammar, and periods.

So next time, I think I'll give the LotFP crew the opportunity to tear the new issue apart before it goes for proofreading. Killkillkill the bad metal, killkillkill the bad writing about metal.

Three quotes drive this:

""You thought I'd bullshit you about being into metal? You've never been in love?"
"Metal surrounds me."
"Metal journalese is often ugly and inaccurate because the thoughts of metal journalists are often foolish, but the slovenliness of their language makes it easier for them to have foolish thoughts, and their language is full of bad habits which spread by imitaiton."

Work continues, ever so slowly, on the compilation book, and it's painful looking at some of that early stuff. How could I have thought that, let alone written it?

I am obsessed with the idea of writing that will still be as true in five years as it is now. That's the key to making it important.

It occurs to me that it is arrogant to say, "I want to do important work with LotFP." It also occurs to me the entire thing is a pointless undertaking if I think, even once, "What I do with LotFP is unimportant."

So I will act like it is important. Proofreading, a feature familiar to LotFP's printed works only since 2005, was a step. Backstage tearing and ripping at the thought processes will be another step. I always hate it when a "Well I never thought of it that way" moment happens after it sees print.

*shiver shiver*

It also occurs to me that I have never heard James Rivera sing aside from the Destiny's End albums. Fucking pathetic. It all started with knowing that the new Agalloch album was coming out. Special wooden box edition! With T-shirt offer! And the T shirts come in XXL! Well by the time I looked, the XXLs were gone. And that was the only size gone. For some reason I am amused imagining Haughm's face thinking about the fact that Agalloch's biggest fans are fat. Luckily I was indecisive on buying the box edition long enough for it to sell out. The album won't be any better cased in wood. The normal CD version ships today, so I headed on over to The End's site to order it. But I can never order just one thing. To me, cash management means spending it on things I enjoy before something "important" comes up and my money is wasted in "obligations". It's funny how unimportant things are when you don't have the money to deal with them "properly". Rent's paid, there's food in the cupboard, fuck everything else. Funny when the wife "just wants to look" in furniture stores. "Oooh, that couch is nice!" She's seeing a couch, I'm looking at the price tag thinking "I could buy the Rage catalog for that amount." And I have a distinct disinterest in most of the new stuff coming out. That gets hyped, anyway. Blind Guardian and Solitude Aeturnus are the only new albums I'm looking forward to. Everything else I want is old. I bought an Overkill album yesterday. Had some bad experiences with them in the past, but Matt Johnsen suggested Horrorscope, I obeyed, and I'm glad I did. Cool stuff, and I realized vocalists today are lacking character. Blitz has character. I love it. Last two songs are fucking awesome. Totally the opposite of that Testament album I bought a couple weeks back. The New Order is boredom in audio form, interrupted by guitar solos. And for some reason I got excited knowing there was a new Terror Squad album out. The last album was completely reckless in ways I did not appreciate at the time. Disco Bloody Disco! That got me to thinking, I need Artillery albums. Only place I know to find them is Evil Legend. So that got me wanting the first three plus the two Pagan Altar albums they have on sale. $75 plus shipping? Too rich for my current budget. Irresponsibility is best doled out in responsible doses. So I started checking around for older stuff. The End is not the place to go to look for old stuff. But I found some anyway. First Metal Church album, in the shopping cart. And the first three Helstar albums. That's why I started thinking about Rivera. The guy's a lifer and all I've heard are fucking Destiny's End albums? God damn I suck. Situation corrected, I got the first two. And Zebulon Pike has a new one? fuuckkk. With some creative finangling, that's five CDs then, $50 post paid to Finland. Even if customs snags it, that's less than 9€ in charges. Worth it. For that price I get the new album of one of the best current bands, a cool instrumental band (well, hopefully they still are), and some classics of the genre.

Yeah.

The internet is good because without it, that might have made it into print.

Current listening also leads me to believe that while Bruce Dickinson may be the better singer, Paul Di'Anno just might be the better vocalist. I don't know how he would have handled later material, but he's better than Bruce on the songs from the first two albums.

So next time, I think I'll give the LotFP crew the opportunity to tear the new issue apart before it goes for proofreading. Killkillkill the bad metal, killkillkill the bad writing about metal.
This is a good idea, I think. It is always a good to have another set of eyes (or two or three) look at what you are going to circulate in print before you do so. And you can always tell the people that while the opinion is appreciated, it is not one which is sound. :)

It occurs to me that it is arrogant to say, "I want to do important work with LotFP."
Nothing arrogant about this at all. Important, as you intimate, is just another way to say that a piece of writing is not only going to be timely but also something that is still relevant and vibrant when someone returns to it years later--and not just as a curiosity. Important work is important because it is of importance to more than the writer and possibly even the subject he is treating, while self-important work is arrogant and written for no other reason than to slake a transitory need or provide a fleeting bump.

Blitz has character. I love it. Last two songs are fucking awesome.
Overkill?!? Man....you are in trouble.:)

Blitz indeed has bucketloads of character, and I consider him to be the best live frontman I've ever seen in action.My evidence

Current listening also leads me to believe that while Bruce Dickinson may be the better singer, Paul Di'Anno just might be the better vocalist.
No opinion about Blaze Bayley? I actually prefer him to Dickinson in the current scheme of things (not the past) and think that "The Clansman" may very well be the best Maiden song and The X-Factor is easily one of the best Maiden albums ever made. Bayley's solo work is also superior to Dickinson's solo output (Blood &Belief being a bit of a let down in quality).

You gonna have any room for print contributions from the LotFP peanut gallery in the near future?

I agree that it is not arogant to want to do something important. Self-importance and caring about what one's work are two different things, the latter being not the rule among a lot of people, sadly enough.

...and yes, wherever you want to go with the zine, you can count on my pair of eyes (and "pen") as well. :)

So you were unfamiliar with Overkill? - I got into them relatively late, probably when they were already considered to be past their prime. I saw them in Wacken in 1997, and they tore my head off. Apart from the classics, I'd suggest 10 years of breaking your neck, and everything is pretty enjoyable up to From the Underground... as far as I am concerned.

To Dave and Iron Maiden (damn, I hate these quotes - take away so much space, so I'm referring to your remarks that way):
Funny that you think similarly about Blaze. I probably am the only person around here that feels The X Factor is a pretty good record. What I still do not understand is: where did they get infected with that tapeworm disease, i.e. repeating passages, lines and choruses so excessively? Also, what drugs did Harris take when he wrote "Virus" and "The Angel and the Gambler"?
I think Blaze's debut was great (even Andy Sneap did not hurt here), and he ripped live with his band as well. The second had a more interesting concept than the music was, and I did not care much about him afterwards. Last thing I heard is that he got into a fight with some American musicians at German Bang Your Head festival about foreign politics and patriotism.

Dickinson's Accident and Chemical Wedding are superb, if you ask me. The latest one suffers from Smith's absence, and the self-same structures and vocal melodies become obvious. As powerful as Dickinson's vioce is: he has problems to find sequences of notes he has not sung yet...

Occam's Razor said:
Dickinson's Accident and Chemical Wedding are superb, if you ask me. The latest one suffers from Smith's absence, and the self-same structures and vocal melodies become obvious.
I agree. I just think that Bayley's first two solo albums are better. Dickinson's new one left me a bit cold as well. It is one of those albums that I will return to eventually and revisit after the let down of it not living up to its predessor, which I do think is a classic, has completely worn off.

DBB said:
No opinion about Blaze Bayley? I actually prefer him to Dickinson in the current scheme of things (not the past) and think that "The Clansman" may very well be the best Maiden song and The X-Factor is easily one of the best Maiden albums ever made. Bayley's solo work is also superior to Dickinson's solo output (Blood &Belief being a bit of a let down in quality).

Bayley got a raw deal. I thought his Maiden albums were not to the standards Iron Maiden had set, but Brave New World was the same, so it became clear whose fault it was... or wasn't as the case may be. That Blaze stayed on with Sanctuary management means they realize he wasn't just crap to be jettisoned, and his solo albums, while not exactly my thing, were solid.

DBB said:
You gonna have any room for print contributions from the LotFP peanut gallery in the near future?

Of course. Andreas has a review in the new one, he asked about it when I announced the new issue.

Occam's Razor said:
So you were unfamiliar with Overkill? - I got into them relatively late, probably when they were already considered to be past their prime. I saw them in Wacken in 1997, and they tore my head off. Apart from the classics, I'd suggest 10 years of breaking your neck, and everything is pretty enjoyable up to From the Underground... as far as I am concerned.

Not completely unfamiliar. I won tickets to see them in 1993, had never heard of them at the time. hehe. Had a friend who was so into Overkill she had a HUGE tattoo all over her shoulder and upper arm of Overkill bats flying around, but the albums through the mid to late 90s were.... not good.

Hadn't heard any of the earlier stuff though.

I think the appeal of Overkill is based on their hardcore and punk roots, while Testament - you made the comparison - were metal and nothing else, which resulted in music that was at times very close to Metallica and not half as good - they had the better guitarist, though.
When Testament started to crawl out of their 80s metal den and started to incorporate heavier elements, they became better - at least if you ask me. Low was promising, Demonic better and The Gathering one of the best albums of that type from the last decade. The reunion with the olde members, in that context, does not make any sense.

As for Overkill - they in return got worse when they started to open themselves to new influences. Their last albums do not only lack direction, but also decent songwriting. Verni has changed guitarists so often that the identity is missing, even though he's the main writer.

As far as the future of LotFP goes........ all i know is that I really miss the days of LotFP Weekly. I am sick of playing my hand-held Yahtzee game on the crapper. :loco:

This may sound rude, selfish, insensitive, etc..... but I (personally) really don't care about long metal essays, the book idea, or even interviews. I don't have the time for that kind of stuff anymore. All I really care about are the reviews. I want to discover the best bands out there, whether new or classic. LotFP used to be the absolute best shit-filter in the whole scene. Got turned onto many great bands through LotFP, and that's really what it's all about. Nothing beats reviews, and Top 10 lists from a trusted source. The rest is just filler, IMO.

The thing is: Do you want to read reviews of albums you can find in any other publication as well (which would be less of a problem to deliver), or do you prefer the unknown, unsigned bands (which I presume you do, but it is up to these bands to send their stuff. I don't know how much of that Jim gets sent, but I am usually flooded by common label releases only, and I am glad to cover them all for the German source I write, so doing another English review for a record you know people will find in any other zine seems a little pointless and time-consuming to me - e.g. the new Slayer).

Occam's Razor said:
The thing is: Do you want to read reviews of albums you can find in any other publication as well (which would be less of a problem to deliver), or do you prefer the unknown, unsigned bands (which I presume you do,....

I personally don't care if a band is extremely popular, or totally obscure..... it's all about discovering amazing albums. (Lilitu, for example, was a great LotFP discovery for me) I'd be thrilled if a mag came out a few times a year, maybe quarterly, that focused on exposing absolute must-purchase metal releases (new, old, popular or obscure.... whatever). Every 'zine out there is filled with pages and pages of mediocre crap that is not worth my time or money.

How about this:
LotFP Elite - Exposing the Metal Scene's Best to the Masses
or
LotFP Elite - Bringing Erection-Inducing Metal to the Masses :loco:
:p

Occam's Razor said:
The thing is: Do you want to read reviews of albums you can find in any other publication as well (which would be less of a problem to deliver), or do you prefer the unknown, unsigned bands (which I presume you do, but it is up to these bands to send their stuff. I don't know how much of that Jim gets sent, but I am usually flooded by common label releases only, and I am glad to cover them all for the German source I write, so doing another English review for a record you know people will find in any other zine seems a little pointless and time-consuming to me - e.g. the new Slayer).
No, the thing is: I would like to read good reviews of any album that's interesting. I do not neccesarily prefer the unknown, unsigned bands because obscurity still does not guarantee greatness. I get very impatient with that "gee, they're big so they must suck now"-attitude. And besides there's still a lot to gain here because generally a lot of reviews still suck. The new Slayer is a good example. Most reviews I've seen are by a) people who don't know shit about Slayer and/or Metal in general, or b) un-critical fanboy devotees

Would a mag be good if ... all it did was review good albums? Meaning, you listen to various albums, but if it sucks, you keep it out, and only talk about the good ones, and why they are good? Reading why an album sucks can be just as entertaining though. But, perhaps people are right, that bands that suck are getting space, instead of lesser known groups that put out a good album.

Cheiron said:
Would a mag be good if ... all it did was review good albums? Meaning, you listen to various albums, but if it sucks, you keep it out, and only talk about the good ones, and why they are good? Reading why an album sucks can be just as entertaining though. But, perhaps people are right, that bands that suck are getting space, instead of lesser known groups that put out a good album.

I wouldn't trust a reviewer (or a magazine) that gave only good reviews.