Meaning behind Break

Petrucci914

Nov 14, 2004
Madison, WI
Is it just me or does anyone else think Break is the saddest, most depressing CD ever? It is so dark. I think Doug used Les Pauls mostly so you get the darker tone there, the keyboards have a very creepy sound to them, and then you have the lyrics. Ted also seems to sing lower on the album. When I'm depressed or pissed off I usually listen to this record because it makes me realize other people out there feel the same. Anyone have any extra feeligs on this? It's one of my favorite Enchant album along with Juggling 9.

Could anyone enlighten us on maybe the context of this album? I know you weren't there Ed, but do you know the inspiration for it? Thanks!

I know the inspiration well. It was not the best of times at all. It is dark and deep for many reasons, the important this is we all got through it. 98 was one the best years of my life for sure. Or my bandmates either.

Just look at the liner notes and some the very heavy yet brilliant lyrics and songwriting. It is a very dark album.

Not an easy subject for me or the band to really relive. I missed out on some good times but had some difficult stuff to deal with. We live and most important? hopefully learn from it.

There is another song that never made it on the disc called "Fall" that we worked on as well that Doug wrote that is pretty much lost but was pretty intense as well. It was a very sad song.

You are pretty dead on with your take on this one.

But no worries it is good to be able to answer the question now and look back and be able to talk about it now.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Break is the saddest, most depressing CD ever? It is so dark. I think Doug used Les Pauls mostly so you get the darker tone there, the keyboards have a very creepy sound to them, and then you have the lyrics. Ted also seems to sing lower on the album. When I'm depressed or pissed off I usually listen to this record because it makes me realize other people out there feel the same. Anyone have any extra feeligs on this? It's one of my favorite Enchant album along with Juggling 9.

Could anyone enlighten us on maybe the context of this album? I know you weren't there Ed, but do you know the inspiration for it? Thanks!

I must say, I too have been very intrugued by all of Break lately. Musically, at first, it didn't really grab me at first... Then, some weeks ago, I decided to give it another couple of spins as a change of pace, and then it really caught hold of me and has refused to let go.

A couple of weeks ago, my best friend from age 10 to 13 --someone with whom, thanks to the Internet, I have reestablished contact -- went missing for a day and a half. The situation had his family and friends very worried; we feared foul play. Ends up he had a bout of severe depression and had a major breakdown. He managed to check himself into a hospital and is going to be OK. He's now undergoing treatment.

I was listening to one of the tracks on Break immediately before and after calling to his wife and learning he had been found alive. I got really choked up. There's something about that album that I will now always associate with that emotional rollercoaster ride.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, of course... Quite the opposite, actually. Although not especially topical, I think Break helped me to more fully process the range of emotions I dealt with in that ordeal... And perhaps, in a way, it helped me to appreciate what my friend might have been going through.

I'm thankful to everyone who participated on that album for their sharing some very personal experiences and vulnerabilities, and I hope the process was as therapeutic for them as it is for us.

--Keith

Team,

I usally don't post here but I thought I'd chime in as Break is by far my favorite Enchant album. Yes, Ed, you're most certainly missed on this album but Doug does a fine job on bass. I always thought that Paul's "Xen" album as the "more loose sister" of Break, and they really go together (espicially the last song, Existentialist, and the death (I believe) of Paul's father).

On a totally different subject, am I one of only a handful that have both pressings (Paul's original and the InsideOut version) of the Xen album? :)

Back to the post - The "true" meaning of Break, however, as Petrucci says above, remains a mistery. The credits don't really go into much detail, but I know it's Benignus's last album with the band (and the first album not to feature Ed as the bassist). Are the issues surrounding the album of a "band" related conflict or more personal in terms of the families ala She Plays from the Xen album?

BTW, My Enemy is probably one of my all-time favorite songs. So haunting...

Perhaps a bit "tough" to talk about, but I find it very interesting sometimes to go "behind the music" and find out the true inspiration for the songs. With the echolyn boys, i have a very close friendship with them and usually know what the songs are written about. it helps me actually get closer to the song.

Boy do I have more than enough material for a behind the music deal. Video audio etc! Playing with all these characters for all these years, my god it is endless :) and they would same the same and then some.

Break is no mystery but something we all hopefully learned from and have certainly gone on to bigger and better things. Ted played great bass as well on the title track and yes My Enemy is a classic all timer, same with the Cross for me. It is very dark.

And the Xen disc is an all time favorite I would have played on but I had my hands full at the time. Wait til the next one it will rule!

There was even another song called, "Fall" that Doug wrote about the situation I was living through at the time that never made it on Break which was a gorgeous haunting song as well. If I ever get my project done I would have to strongly consider talking him into finalizing for me.

I worked on the Cross, Silence, my Gavel Hand, King and Middle Groud which went to the Xen release, before the infamous break.

OK next thread.................

Thanks for the kind words man.

Team,

I usally don't post here but I thought I'd chime in as Break is by far my favorite Enchant album. Yes, Ed, you're most certainly missed on this album but Doug does a fine job on bass. I always thought that Paul's "Xen" album as the "more loose sister" of Break, and they really go together (espicially the last song, Existentialist, and the death (I believe) of Paul's father).

On a totally different subject, am I one of only a handful that have both pressings (Paul's original and the InsideOut version) of the Xen album? :)

Back to the post - The "true" meaning of Break, however, as Petrucci says above, remains a mistery. The credits don't really go into much detail, but I know it's Benignus's last album with the band (and the first album not to feature Ed as the bassist). Are the issues surrounding the album of a "band" related conflict or more personal in terms of the families ala She Plays from the Xen album?

BTW, My Enemy is probably one of my all-time favorite songs. So haunting...

Perhaps a bit "tough" to talk about, but I find it very interesting sometimes to go "behind the music" and find out the true inspiration for the songs. With the echolyn boys, i have a very close friendship with them and usually know what the songs are written about. it helps me actually get closer to the song.

I guess every lyrics on Break are full of meaning. My feeling is although english is not my mother tongue that words were chosen after a reflexion. man these lyrics are ART. Enough said ! Still I re-read these lines from time to time and songs like My Gavel Hand, Surrounded, Silence, In The Dark, Defenseless… still give chill in my spine 9 years after my introduction to the band. Have you guys seen the point here ? 9 years after its release we still talk about and quote these lines ? Isn't that the trademark of great lyrics/songwriting

Funny thing is : (I don't know for Paul) the style has changed through the years : Doug, through Blink and Tug kinda wrote lyrics using the dialogue way like talking to somebody. I could say the same for Ted although there is in his words a straightforward and visual approach (ex : Shell Of A Man) but i'm less sure (can you confirm Ted?). As for Paul there was kinda trademark style by using structures, metaphores and references which really blew (and still blow) my mind (ex : Rough Draft). That's why I am still delighted with a new Enchant CD : good music AND good words all together on a CD

To put in a nutshell I'll never say it enough : you guys (Enchant) Are Geniuses

Thank you for the responses Ed, we appreciate it. I put Break in again today and in light of your responses it even became more powerful. It is most definitely a dark period involving relationship problems, drugs, and depression. Never has an album touched me more emotionally and as strong as it is. As I said before, it is a very important album for me and lets me introspect a bit more than usual - which I find very important. Defenseless is probably one of my favorites and Surrounded effects me very deeply and reminds me of the death of my friend in Iraq on 4/6/04. Many bands have good music but to write such strong personal lyrics and can touch people deeply, THAT is the REAL talent.

I have always loved the BREAK album - so many great tunes with (on both counts) musical punch and lyrical and melodic importance and urgency....

And of course, my favorite tune:

In The Dark

absolute perfection....... :worship:rock:

Break was my introduction to Enchant, and yea, it's completely awesome.

After hearing it I bought 5 more copies of that album to give away to friends, along with all the other albums I could get my grubby hands on.

I think that Break is one of the most introspective album ever.
I love the way the lyrics flow through the songs and how the messages are written between the lines.

One of the best songs of the album is King. The lyrics really knocked me up in a very special momment of my life too.

"Wrapped up in
What might have been
I just pretend
That luck was seized from me
All alone ( but on the throne )
The King of tragedy
Caught up in what could be
If only God had smiled on me
Another dance with circumstance
For His Majesty"

You rule guys!

Really touching lyrics that I can relate to. One of my favorite lyrical work ever!

Loneliness, hope, depression, coming to terms with some things, struggling. Really dramatic and emotional stuff!