Mega Man!

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
Alright guys, I need your help. This is actually one of the only things that I miss from PC days; Fucking good variation of free synths in VST.

I wanted to get this old school 8-bit nintendo mega man sound out for this song, but then I noticed that I don't know how to fuck get that sound. I tried all the synths that came with cubase and pro tools + the IK multimedia ones, but with no luck. There was this one preset on one of the cubase synths (sorry, can't remember the name) that was almost there, but that synth was so fucking redicilously eyecandy with kazillion buttons and submenus that I have no idea how the fuck to program it.

Any good starting tips?

oh yeah, just for clarification, I have only the "shoot yourself in the leg" plugin format choises: Mac VST and RTAS

Aren't they nothing but simple waveforms? Surely you have a synth that can produce saw, square, sine and triangle waveforms?

Requirements:
- Windows95/98/NT4(after SP3)/Me/2000/XP

Aren't they nothing but simple waveforms? Surely you have a synth that can produce saw, square, sine and triangle waveforms?

Yup, 1-2 oscillator stuff mostly, but some of the sound comes from the technology restrictions. And none of my synths have like bit depth reduction mode. The "Feed Back Module" preset on the Cubase "Spector" synth sounds REALLY close to what I want, but fucking shit that is one complicated synth to operate.

But anyways, here is a reference, the lead melody sound that comes first (0:00-0:08, there is also a bass and "drums" under it):

Last edited by a moderator:
3xOSC
Basic 64
ICECREAM
Magical8Bit
NesNoise
Nespulse
NesTri
PooBoy
PooBoy2
Quantum 64
YmVST

Tweakbench:
Monomate
Triforce
Peach
Toad

EDIT: You don't use mac right?...
A lot of these won't work in cubase as well as the output is mono and Cubase doesn't like that.

It might be best to go all MIDI except for the rhythm guitars if you want it to sound like mega man.

Personally I'd throw a lot of bit crusher on the drums, do the leads as like square or triangle waves.

are you looking for something free (only) ?

Not nessecary free, but it has to be Mac VST or RTAS. Since I don't use Logic, AU is out of question. Eventho judging from the it actually sounds pretty fucking sweet and what I was looking for.

au
au
link doesn't work

but thanks anyway