Megadeth - Endgame

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
So who has it? I just picked it up yesterday and have spun it 3 or 4 times from start to finish, and I gotta say, it's pretty fucking superb.

Dave has gotten Megadeth sounding "dangerous" again, like a band on the edge, like he did back in the SFSGSW days. The shredding is amazing (maybe there's a tad too much??) but overall this record is shaping up as awesome.

Seeing them with Slayer in a few weeks. Can't wait for both bands equally. :headbang:

I concur. Very good. Can't wait to see them next month with Slayer.

I've only heard Headcrusher and the 1,320 - and the band is smokin' hot.

Dave's vocals are less melodic than I'm used to, but still a step up from the shoe-horned-in verses of Sleepwalker.

Will be buyin' ENDGAME for sure.

=D

Hi,
got Endgame yesterday...been playing it non stop ever since...it is superb stuff...it has kinda back to early 90's feel to it, but with modern sound. In my opinion there only two weak songs on it...another one being Head Crusher.

T:)

I picked up this album based purely on this thread. I had given up on Megadeth some time ago. I just didn't grasp the direction Dave was taking. But Endgame is very very good. As the other posters said, this is a revival of the "old" Megadeth sound.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Setlist from NZ show. Seeing them with Slayer on Sunday night. Can't wait. That setlist is BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

> > 01. Set The World Afire
> > 02. Wake Up Dead
> > 03. Hangar 18
> > 04. Devil's Island
> > 05. Skin O' My Teeth
> > 06. Head Crusher
> > 07. She-Wolf
> > 08. Sweating Bullets
> > 09. Tornado Of Souls
> > 10. Sleepwalker
> > 11. Rattlehead
> > 12. Symphony Of Destruction
> > 13. Peace Sells
> > ------------------
> > 14. Holy Wars/Mechanix

Yep - will be there too on Sunday. That IS a great set although one more new tune would be good. STWA - what an opener!!!!!!! Just think - we get to witness this setlist, and then another by SLAAAYYYEEERRRRR. Does metal get much better than this???!!!!!

Slayer cancelled as Tom had a throat infection and couldn't sing. So we got an extended Megadeth set.

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!! 4th time I have seen them and they never disappoint. Amazing setlist. Some real old classics in there.

Mustaine and co are just awesome live. Some of the best melodic/thrash guitar work I have ever heard live.

I haven't stopped listening to this record in weeks. Honestly believe it's their best since RIP.

Interesting... I'm a big fan of Mr. Mustaine but I just can't get into
Engame for some reason. Perhaps it's the strained vocals and at times
queer lyrical content that confuses me...

I agree some of the riffs are brilliant and I note Dave actually took
more involvement in the leads this time... fantastic stuff.

Liked S.H.F and U.A. but this album grates me a little.
For all the hype I was pretty dissapointed.
Perhaps it's one I need to listen to a few more times.

Definately one of the tightest and best live acts getting around still though.

Dialectic Chaos, This Day We Fight, 1320, Headcrusher (most of it), and How The Story Ends are throwbacks to a bygone era of Megadeth.

The leads are grande, the riffs are awesome - but you're right, Dave has a weird way of shoehorning his verses in.

It's a great record, overall. I just don't know why people go ape over 44 Minutes - it's a great example of Dave's odd vocal phrasing.

Musically I do like the album a lot better than anything they did after Countdown. But I'm not too fond of Dave's vocals and especially a lack of memorable vocal lines. I miss the melody/catchiness (whichever you prefer) he could pull off during his SFSGSW and PS days.
The vocals on Endgame just seem so hastily put together. It doesn't give the songs that bit 'extra'