Melancholic Art Breeding Retardation of Social Life

On some level, ultra-shallow people who typically only care about chicks, cars, beers, etc. (guys)

What I dont' get is what REALLY makes you better then those types of people.

And now I understand, its ok to be a deep intellectual dark metal manic deppresive, but not a Thrash Metal Terrorist.

You know, the funny thing is, most metal fans are introverts. They are forced outcasts simply because they don't follow trends (the mainstream). However, when they become musicians, they can get up on stage in front of hundreds/thousands of people and perform.

As a performer, I'd assume you'd need to be an extrovert of sorts, but I don't think it's true. Indeed, some of the funniest people in history have been introverts/depressive in real life (John Belushi, Tony Hancock, Chris Farley, Charlie Chaplin, etc). So metal musicians have the guts to go on stage at Wacken, but behind doors, they're meek.

I bet behind the scenes, Wacken is full of bands with massive stage fright. Everyone vomiting into buckets, changing underwear, trying to remember lyrics etc. But then it gets primeval - strap a guitar around your neck, turn up the amps, hammer out a few chords, and you become a god.

It's like all of David Bowie's personas in the 60's and 70's, the reason he did those was to combat massive stage fright.

Personally I get off on being in front of people playing with my instrument, I mean uhhh, uhuhuuhuhuhuhuhhhuhuh.

bandb.jpg

what about Maynard James Keenan? didn't he used to be hidden during concerts to combat stagefright? or was that just to create an aura of mystery and intrigue?

KILL TULLY said:
What I dont' get is what REALLY makes you better then those types of people

I'm not better than them! To each their own... I just can't keep up a conversation about those things for very long, is all I said!

Demilich said:
I'm not better than them! To each their own... I just can't keep up a conversation about those things for very long, is all I said!

K, not you, but theres definitly people who think they are superior to those type of people.

KILL TULLY said:
K, not you, but theres definitly people who think they are superior to those type of people.

This is true! I wonder if there are any of THOSE people who think they're better than people who aren't THOSE people. who knows? anyways, we're all people, who the fuck cares, beyond that?

KILL TULLY said:

I enjoy being with people of the former type infinitely more than the latter, and that makes them superior (to me). But being stuck in relativism as I am I can't really say that a certain trait (e.g. intelligence - whatever that is) makes someone better than the other :erk:

Demilich said:
what about Maynard James Keenan? didn't he used to be hidden during concerts to combat stagefright? or was that just to create an aura of mystery and intrigue?
If you're talking about after Lateralus was released, no. For that tour he stayed toward the back because he was tired of all the Maynard-worship that was occuring in the post-A Perfect Circle days, basically he was saying "I'm in a fucking band, this isn't some solo artist act" since the other dudes don't exactly move around much (Adamn Jones sustained a serious motorcycle injury years back that leaves him a bit immobile, Justin Chancellor sorta stays in his own zone, and obviously Danny Carey is locked behind the drumkit). In years prior I don't think he had stage fright, he usually assumed this stance directly in front of the stage staring out to the crowd holding the mic with one hand, in an almost confrontational pose, or at the very least very aggressive. He also talks to the crowd all the time inbetween songs, although a bit less as the years go by.

Damn, I know a lot about Tool. :loco:

spaffe said:
I enjoy being with people of the former type infinitely more than the latter, and that makes them superior (to me). But being stuck in relativism as I am I can't really say that a certain trait (e.g. intelligence - whatever that is) makes someone better than the other :erk:
DONG we have a winner!

One Inch Man said:
... ... ...
Damn, I know a lot about Tool. :loco:

Damn, I don't know who I heard that from. I've only seen them once, and it was a stadium show on the Lateralus tour. FUCK, was it ever good! Probably my favourite concert ever, but it would have been 92491289831x better in a small club. I've seen bootlegs of them playing in tiny clubs like Foufounes in Montreal, I think, and Maynard was up front of the stage wearing only tighty-whiteys, so I guess I already knew about the stagefright thing.

When I saw them, he was on an elevated section of the stage (a pedestal, perchance?), the floor of which was a screen that displayed the same images as the two big screens on either side of the stage. Support band was Tomahawk, and a 20 minute 3-way drum thing happened between their sets.

I myself rarely enjoy being with people who consider themselves to be "deep", ...eventually these are the people who get on my nerves. Most of the time I'de rather discuss guitars, booze, girls, headbanging, etc etc with people because those are things that arn't used as leverage to sound superior to others. Once you get into other conversations, many people use it as a "my dick is THIS much bigger then yours" competition.

KILL TULLY said:
Oh and One Incha, didn't that hidding shit just make people worship him more?
Yeah, and that sorta blows. I think that may have died down a bit (hopefully) because it was pretty fucking annoying. Look I love Maynard, he's one of my favorite vocalists if not my all time favorite, but going to Tool shows with crowds of dudes yelling "MAYNARD!!!!!!! MAYNARD I LOVE YOU!!!!" was fucking annoying. It's a band dude, each instrument no more or less important than the next. At least with Tool anyhow.

@Demilich: seeing Tool in a small venue is tits, but honestly their best stuff was in medium venues, since they use tons of visuals now. Like one of my favorite Tool shows was at the Palladium in LA (1996), and I fucking hate that venue. That was the night they recorded the live version of Pushit for Salival, OMFG BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY ENTIRE FUCKING LIFE.

I don't like talking to pseudo-deep thinkers either. THey get on my nerves as well. But I also can't stand the ones whose only goals in life are to get drunk and laid. There is a middle ground where one can exhibit knowledge as well as being able to hold liquor and bang sluts. Find that middle ground and prosper.

J. said:
I don't like talking to pseudo-deep thinkers either. THey get on my nerves as well. But I also can't stand the ones whose only goals in life are to get drunk and laid. There is a middle ground where one can exhibit knowledge as well as being able to hold liquor and bang sluts. Find that middle ground and prosper.

I agree. I just don't show any middle ground here on the 'ol RC, haha.

THRASH ILL DEATH DRINK TILL YOU DROP ARGGHH SEX0R CHIXOORRRZZ ARRGHHH!

J. said:
Find that middle ground and prosper.
Yep. Like last night my band got together and jammed for a bit then discussed the nature of love v. sex for about an hour.

Last week we were all drunk and fighting in the bathroom at the local pub. Yin and Yang. :loco:

J. said:

words of total wisdom.

listening to a steady diet of bands like Agalloch isn't going to rob you of your testosterone (no matter what Lurch might say) or your sense of humor.

uh oh, dragged into the conversation unwillingly ;) Before going into my little story, let me just point out that a lot of my picking on certain bands has more to do with keeping things lighthearted and fun around here. I don't think you should take things I say too literally ... if I had enough smily faces I would use them. :loco:

The social thing ... for me oddly enough as I got older I became more social and outgoing. Defintelly trying to meet different people all my life, but could never relate to ones that had a "normal" family upbringing. My dad passed away when I was really young, and I lost a lot of family over the years (my aunt just yesterday from a heart attack) so for me it was always difficult more than anything to come to trust people ... as they were always taken away so to speak. So if my friends were somewhat disfunctional ... it always helped for a stornger bond.

I think all you younger guys/gals will eventually socialize more later as you grow older, circumstances change all the time. I'd like to think I am not the same person I was 15 years ago and certainly learned a lot over the years.

Blah blah blah ...