MELODIC HARDCORE( the ghost inside, A day to remember, For the fallen Dreams. (ish)

Loving the guitar tone, SM57 on the grill? I think the vocals are a bit too high in the mix, especially for this genre. The bass guitar is not defined enough, too much low end mud compared to top end. The china is also super loud compared to the other cymbals.

The rest of my crits are about the song itself.

Those really fast kicks in the intro are distracting from the song, it doesn't sound good, just sounds like a really bad mistrigger. The song has a bunch of arrangement issues, horrible transitioning in some slow downs/speedups, and the last breakdown had just guitar/bass for WAY too long.

Loving the guitar tone, SM57 on the grill? I think the vocals are a bit too high in the mix, especially for this genre. The bass guitar is not defined enough, too much low end mud compared to top end. The china is also super loud compared to the other cymbals.

The rest of my crits are about the song itself.

Those really fast kicks in the intro are distracting from the song, it doesn't sound good, just sounds like a really bad mistrigger. The song has a bunch of arrangement issues, horrible transitioning in some slow downs/speedups, and the last breakdown had just guitar/bass for WAY too long.

Yeah im going to go back through and fix some the guitar mistakes and line stuff up a little better, ill post a new mix when i do so.

and for the guitar tone.

it was just my rig with a sm57 off axis.
i had my amp rebuilt recently because when i first got it, it was all fuck lol.
but it kicks, to me it sounds some what different then the other 5150 and 6505 i have worked with.

so what would you suggest i do about the bass?

Are you already doing the high/low split? If so, I'd say try splitting at 150, then on the high track slap podfarm tube screamer, use an 8x10 impulse, cut out the ugly 500-1k mids that will be there, and balance it so it has presence/bite with a non overbearing low end.

Here's an example:

It needs to GROWL, especially in this genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you already doing the high/low split? If so, I'd say try splitting at 150, then on the high track slap podfarm tube screamer, use an 8x10 impulse, cut out the ugly 500-1k mids that will be there, and balance it so it has presence/bite with a non overbearing low end.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKJ9TUc7s58

It needs to GROWL, especially in this genre.

honestly i have never really did the dual bass tracks like that, could you give me some tips on how i should do this?

Like i tried it in the past but i couldn't get it right and it killed my mix

Id say just duplicate the track you have, high pass it to 200, add gain/EQ/compressor, then just bring it up so you can hear the growl in the mix. You don't have to touch the original bass track.

Id say just duplicate the track you have, high pass it to 200, add gain/EQ/compressor, then just bring it up so you can hear the growl in the mix. You don't have to touch the original bass track.

alright im going to do that then upload the new mix and see what you think

Dude i tried to listen to this but I couldnt because the vocal so harsh they hurt my ear .. DE-ESS you vocals dude , or lower their highs

I'm digging the bass sound a lot, it's definitely giving the song a nice mid growl, maybe a small boost in the 2-3k area for a bit more attack. This mix is coming together very well man, I like it a lot.

I'm digging the bass sound a lot, it's definitely giving the song a nice mid growl, maybe a small boost in the 2-3k area for a bit more attack. This mix is coming together very well man, I like it a lot.

Thanks man, yeah ill try that out, should i boost on the gain bass track, or the clean?

Good job on the new mix dude.
Ill agree with the vocals needs a bit of de-essing but aside from that Im digging it.
What did you use on the drums?

thanks man
yeah i think im going to use a de-esser on the singing, do you think i should use it on the screams as much?

and the drums were all layered.
the toms were truth black and gold samples.
1 of the kicks was a sample i made from my kick.
along with a slate sample, which is mostly what shows through in the mix.
snare was slate, and truth black and gold snare sample.

I'm not a fan of joey's samples i bought them and was instantly disappointed, honestly felt they sounded god awful lol, but if you use them just to thicken up the slate samples i learned to like using them.

yeah the joey toms don't work on much of my mixes, but if they do they sound RAD. They sound alright in this song.
That kick is way to clicky and the ride/bell is way too loud. Both are kinda distracting imho.
Apart from that: solid mix! I don't know if you already fixed the vocals on the sss but they don't sound too bad to me!