Melodicrock Fest 3: What a weekend!!!

templeofmax

Aug 13, 2009
For those into melodic rock, the fest was fantastiiiiccc!!!! PPUSA and then this, hell of a month! Eric Martin, Eclipse, WET, Steve Augeri, Ted Poley, Mecca, Harem Scarem, House of Lords, Heaven and Earth and many more! Saw some of the PPUSA guys there and even saw a couple shirts from this year!!!:Smokin::headbang::headbang::Smokin:

Here is my take on the festival and this is by no means meant to be derogatory, etc. This is an honest opinion from someone who cares about this music and has supported melodicrock.com above and beyond the casual visitor. Also, many would call me a bit of an audio purist and very picky when it comes to sound, etc. That is fine but I did talk to MANY other attendees as well as MANY of the performers and crew over the weekend, so as the opinions expressed below are mine, many of the sediments were confirmed by others who attended and performed. This was in my hometown and I knew a lot of people there and value their opinions as well.

There was an awesome selection of talent that performed over the weekend, there is no disputing that. If you like Melodic Rock, this line up had something for everyone. My biggest issue was with the sound and the venue. I will try and keep this short and to the point.

-If you are going to have 10+ bands each day over 14 hours with no place for the general public to sit, this is a very bad idea, it was the biggest complaint I heard all weekend. In & out privileges were great but not much to do outside if you don’t have a vehicle. By the time the headlining band came on Saturday night they were 75 minutes behind schedule, it's know wonder only a few hundred people were left.
-To have bands travel from all over the U.S. and the world to play this festival and have the VERY limited selection of equipment (back line) is an insult to the bands. This was not only my opinion but actually communicated to me by a few of the performers. The guitar sound was poor all weekend due to the single mic'd Marshall half stack that each guitarist had to use (no alternative amp selection). Best sound of the weekend I thought was Pete Lesperance (Harem Scarem) and that is because he brought his own head/effects rack. The drum set was very small and limited options to configure.
-The mix was poor all weekend, vocals were always up front but guitars and keyboards for the most part were buried (Heaven & Earth had the best mix of the weekend but that is because they had their own guy back mixing). The house mixer obviously didn’t know the music or just didn’t care (as was evident the multiple times I went back to tell him that we couldn’t hear the guitars but he was too busy playing with his phone). That upsets me and the promoter should be held responsible.

It just updates me, as someone who would love to see this festival succeed and grow, that these issues are not addressed. I have reached out to Andrew in the past and will continue to do so in the future to help. I would love to hear other peoples comments on the issues I listed above.

Here is my take on the festival and this is by no means meant to be derogatory, etc. This is an honest opinion from someone who cares about this music and has supported melodicrock.com above and beyond the casual visitor. Also, many would call me a bit of an audio purist and very picky when it comes to sound, etc. That is fine but I did talk to MANY other attendees as well as MANY of the performers and crew over the weekend, so as the opinions expressed below are mine, many of the sediments were confirmed by others who attended and performed. This was in my hometown and I knew a lot of people there and value their opinions as well.

There was an awesome selection of talent that performed over the weekend, there is no disputing that. If you like Melodic Rock, this line up had something for everyone. My biggest issue was with the sound and the venue. I will try and keep this short and to the point.

-If you are going to have 10+ bands each day over 14 hours with no place for the general public to sit, this is a very bad idea, it was the biggest complaint I heard all weekend. In & out privileges were great but not much to do outside if you don’t have a vehicle. By the time the headlining band came on Saturday night they were 75 minutes behind schedule, it's know wonder only a few hundred people were left.
-To have bands travel from all over the U.S. and the world to play this festival and have the VERY limited selection of equipment (back line) is an insult to the bands. This was not only my opinion but actually communicated to me by a few of the performers. The guitar sound was poor all weekend due to the single mic'd Marshall half stack that each guitarist had to use (no alternative amp selection). Best sound of the weekend I thought was Pete Lesperance (Harem Scarem) and that is because he brought his own head/effects rack. The drum set was very small and limited options to configure.
-The mix was poor all weekend, vocals were always up front but guitars and keyboards for the most part were buried (Heaven & Earth had the best mix of the weekend but that is because they had their own guy back mixing). The house mixer obviously didn’t know the music or just didn’t care (as was evident the multiple times I went back to tell him that we couldn’t hear the guitars but he was too busy playing with his phone). That upsets me and the promoter should be held responsible.

It just updates me, as someone who would love to see this festival succeed and grow, that these issues are not addressed. I have reached out to Andrew in the past and will continue to do so in the future to help. I would love to hear other peoples comments on the issues I listed above.

As far as the sound, I noticed exactly none of those things.

And when I wanted to sit down, I did so. The booths had great lines of sight to the stage, and out in the bar you can still hear the bands pretty well.

And when I wanted to sit down, I did so. The booths had great lines of sight to the stage, and out in the bar you can still hear the bands pretty well.
Justin,
As I stated, the general public had no place to sit as there were no seats, booths were reserved for those who paid for VIP tickets. And in the evening they had dance music playing in the front bar that was on par with the volume in the main room. Which bands did you think sounded the best? any one particular? I'm just curious to hear other peoples opinions.

Justin,
As I stated, the general public had no place to sit as there were no seats, booths were reserved for those who paid for VIP tickets. And in the evening they had dance music playing in the front bar that was on par with the volume in the main room. Which bands did you think sounded the best? any one particular? I'm just curious to hear other peoples opinions.

The booths by the merch areas were free. I crashed there often. As far as I know, only those two really high ones were "reserved."

And no, I'm not enough of a sound expert to say whether one band had a better sound than another. It was all fine to my untrained ears.

The booths by the merch areas were free. I crashed there often. As far as I know, only those two really high ones were "reserved."

And no, I'm not enough of a sound expert to say whether one band had a better sound than another. It was all fine to my untrained ears.

Your exactly right, the main level booths were for anyone....I also sat down often. Sound was fine for me as well..Great venue, great performances.

An absolutely awesome weekend. Great venue, great bands and friendly crowd. Highlights for me were Eclipse (main reason for me going), WET, Harem Scarem and House of Lords. Surprise band of the weekend for me was Coldspell who were superb.

I noticed none of this either. There was, perhaps, a moment or two at the beginning of a set or two where the backing vocals/guitars were back too far as happens at any show but 7th Heaven, Coldspell, and W.E.T. had some of the best "punchiest" sound I've heard lately. I sat down very easily throughout the whole weekend and still had a nice view of the stage from any point inside the merch area. Frankly, I wanted none of the Chi-Jersey Shore action that was threatening to break out on Saturday night at the bar area so I was fine in the music hall.

Your gripe about the running time? I agree on Sunday night. I'm not sure why Bombay Black were "special" enough to merit a load-in of their own drum set while everyone else was fine with the provided kit. That, right there, added 30 minutes to the delay. Had we been talking KISS or a band of that status, OK. Bombay Black? Play the ****ing set that's there and ready.

Otherwise, I love the band selection each time melodicrock is put on. I think that it's the 2nd best festival going on US soil (ProgPower has it fairly well pinned down). If we ever get the BW&BK fest back in Cleveland I'm living the complete dream here.

Well, I do agree that Newman´s sound was really bad. Up in front row all I could hear was that thumping bass and his vocals at least. Guitars and keys, buried, even going to the back of the room. Highly disappointing since I have every release from this guy. He was also very disappointed in that his set was cut short. A disservice to him who traveled from england to only perform 5 songs with sub-par sound.