Memorizing fretboard

Lord Lemons

May 1, 2007
Okay, hey everybody. I'm really trying to memorize the fretboard, note for note.
I can figure out what any note is if I look at it for a second, but I want to be able to instantly tell what note it is. How did you guy memorize them?

Same thing goes for what notes are in the scales. The only 3 I have memorized note for note is
Cmaj, Gmaj, and Amaj.

There rest I just use muscle memory. How did you guys memorize the fretboard and scale notes.

some things that helped me was

a. sight reading stuff, and not just stuff under the 5th fret, I consider myself pretty fluent with sight reading between the open nut and the 12th fret

b. when playing licks, stop and think, okay what note am I playing, in the middle of a lick. It's weird at first, you have to remind yourself to do it, but man it helps

I play Fretboard Warrior everyday. I only started this 2 weeks ago, but I see how I'm getting fluent really fast. Unfortunately it neither supports 7 strings nor 12+ frets (yes, it's the same notes, but the fretboard looks different, this make things confusing).

I play about 2 times a day, 10 minutes sessions only. If You decide to start playing we can battle :)

Michael

I play Fretboard Warrior everyday. I only started this 2 weeks ago, but I see how I'm getting fluent really fast. Unfortunately it neither supports 7 strings nor 12+ frets (yes, it's the same notes, but the fretboard looks different, this make things confusing).

I play about 2 times a day, 10 minutes sessions only. If You decide to start playing we can battle :)

Michael

Heh, I would kick your ass. I'm not saying I'm better, I found a huge glitch. :)

Thats an awesome program.