Memory-gobbling plug-ins?

I'm posting this because it's become quite a problem and is limiting what I can do while producing, often resulting in the quality not being the best it can be.

First off, my gear and stats: Windows 7, Cubase 5, Intel processor - 2.3GhZ, 2GB RAM, some generic standard laptop soundcard

My problem: Often in the processing stage of production, when I'm applying inserts to all my tracks, I find that using large VSTs completely hogs all my memory. The audio coming from my monitors [I have a stereo system plugged into my computer via headphone jack] often crackles and generally, everything moves so much slower.

I find myself often having to apply the inserts and exporting individual tracks en masse, and importing them, so I can take off the plug-in and free up memory.

This method seems stupid, while using up a whole shit load more computer space, as well as forcing me to create multiple session files for each process in production. It's very inconvenient.

Now, I'm going to be purchasing a desktop computer with which to produce. My minimum requirements when purchasing is 3 GhZ processor and 4GB RAM.

Can anyone give me more insight on what exactly my problem is, suggest an alternative, or comment at all?
I don't know that much about computer hardware, so chances are likely that I won't be purchasing a computer with a super-duper sound card.

That being said, can anybody suggest a particular sound card I should buy?

1) Buy an audio interface. For the love of god, this is THE MOST important thing if you want to be doing audio production work.
2) Clock speeds on CPUs are almost irrelevant these days. You want higher core numbers. Quad is the minimum for serious DAW's, with 4gb of ram to compliment.
3) BUY A GODDAMN INTERFACE.
4) Read this, then read step 3 again.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/513601-getting-audiointerface-faq.html

if you freeze a track, cubase exports it as audio and "use" this exprted file instead of the frozen track.
the used plugins will be disabled, so these do not need CPU and RAM anymore.

the disadvantage of this is that you can't change anything on the track while it is "frozen".

the really good thing is, if you "defreeze" the track again, everything gets set back exactly
as it was before freezing. so basically it's printing tracks to save memory but it is reversible any time.

cheers
S.

Freezing in Cubase is a great way to go. Look for the button that looks like a snow flake and press it. It only takes about minute to freeze a track and a second to un-freeze. Between doing this for guitar sims and printing samples you should have enough power to run the rest of the plugins needed.
The big thing with working on laptops is the power supply. Your specs on ram, cpu etc could match a desktop, but with only a 300 watt max power supply the laptop will simply run out of power before the cpu and ram can be pushed to its full potential. A desktop will out perform a laptop with the same specs because of the extra power available to drive it.

I'm sure you know this, but just in case... sending effects (using EFX tracks to supply the same effects for more than one track) may help a little too. You will use less instances of a given plugin then.

You're welcome!
There's a lot of things you can do with the sends and EFX tracks. Some effects can give better results when used as sends, others as inserts. You need to know how to apply effects in both ways, though. Be sure to read the Cubase manual first - it contains a lot of basic and more advanced info.

Yeah, I'll read up on it for sure. Having tracks sent to an EFX track makes it seem like you wouldn't be able to automate one of the plug ins for just one of the tracks that are sent to the EFX track.

Unfortunately, I have to wait a few weeks until I get my new computer before I can start practicing this method instead.