Waves Plug-ins

docwright15

New Metal Member
Oct 28, 2010
Do the wave plug-ins take a lot of CPU?
Before I buy them I want to know if my computer can handle them.

Thanks....

Oh my computer is a HP dual core 2.53 ghz 3GB L3 Cache, 4 gig ram and 500 Hard drive.

thanks

What processor exactly?

It also depends on which plugins you're planning to use and how many, I'd imagine simple EQ's don't take too much power compared to the higher end comps.

just demo them and you will see they are very cpu efficient. i´m still on a p4 3,2 ghz and use a lot of them, too.

Off topic but... have you ever thought about ditching Mixcraft before you drop a lot of cash on Waves plugins? Maybe you should invest your money in a different direction here.

I agree with ^ Chris. Just forget about mixcraft, move to Reaper, or atleast try it out. Anyways to answer your question, your fine. If your gonna be using some of the simple EQ's like Renaissance, you'll have no problem at all. Plugins like the CLA take up a bit more CPU than others but I still wouldn't consider them as CPU hogs.

i think the dudes are right here...

a lot of daws have some pretty fit (built in) plugin selections, example:

i love the eq3/dyn plugins in pt (completely underrated)... and the compressors in logic are fab. as well as the built-in effects in ableton live (which can be rewired into any daw---that uses the rewire engine).

the best thing to do is to sit down and think about all of the things that you want to accomplish in your daw. and if you can't, then move on to another. the worst thing to do is to abandon your current workflow under false pretenses. the dichotomy is, creating a workflow in every daw you can get your hands on will definitely make you a more powerful engineer.

edit: i guess my post was a little ot from the op. soooo... yes, waves plugins are indeed cpu efficient. but that also depends on how well the plugin architecture/support is written into the daw. in other words, not all daws are created equal in terms of plugin support. some daws are more compatible than others when it comes to cpu efficiency.

I am going to convert to Reaper, thanks everyone. Yeah mixcraft is alright, but it doesn't do everything I would like it to, and it seems "arcadish?" I don't know, I want to get MaxxBass, RVox and a few other Compression plugins from Wave. I think I will buy them.

all those standard waves plugins (the renaissance bundle/etc.) would run fine on a frackin P4 with 512 mb of RAM, six or seven years ago. you'd need to push an i5 system pretty hard to get it to slow down. there's only one CPU hog waves plug-in... x-hum i think it is?? edit: out of the standards, that is. the fancy new hardware emulation ones can slow things down a bit too.

all those standard waves plugins (the renaissance bundle/etc.) would run fine on a frackin P4 with 512 mb of RAM, six or seven years ago. you'd need to push an i5 system pretty hard to get it to slow down. there's only one CPU hog waves plug-in... x-hum i think it is?? edit: out of the standards, that is. the fancy new hardware emulation ones can slow things down a bit too.

dude... *linear phase eq... CRAZY hog too!

the restoration stuff is ridiculous as well.

:lol:
nah It's not that I hate mixcraft, I always used it but like YEARS back though. Reaper is just ∞ times better. It has a billion more features than Mixcraft.