Merch thread

papajohnny

Dec 9, 2012
Leskovac, Serbia
More like a merch question, but I guess it doesn't hurt to start a thread about it.

Basically, I'm interested what's the latest merch available on shows and how much it costs, your opinions about it (i.e. shirt quality).
Of course, those who follow, please update about anything merch related, new items etc. when you find out.

I'm surprised we haven't made this thread yet...

Yeah, I'm curious about this, too. At the previous concert in Sofia the t-shirts were of absolutely shit quality. I am not thinking of buying yet another Amorphis t-shirt - I got plenty already and I seldom wear them, but if there's something else that might be of interest, I would gladly spend some money on merch.

Tour merch is nowadays handled by Kapanen & Co. - judging from the Tavastia gig, it's gonna be the same stuff as you can see at the bottom of this page. Same designs as last year, but on the upside, it's a small company run by a Finnish dude (although he's based in Germany) and the quality seems to be decent.

I regretted not buying those specially designed T-shirts when I was in Sofia, but I had already spent all my money by that point. On the happy side, trin was critical of the quality even back then, so I guess it went well.
Still, I'd like to buy an Amo shirt - I have only one official (and one bootleg, but it's old and is soon going to disintegrate itself).

But damn, those are some prices... I kinda hoped shirts are cheaper during tours, since AFAIK bands get all the money from the purchase at that time because they don't have to share with labels, so they tend to lower the prices to sell more. Guess I was wrong.
Still, I could handle 18 euros for a shirt if it is of good quality and nicely printed.

What about CDs?
I still don't have Skyforger...shame on me. I was actually hoping about buying that one. What are the average prices?

And as for prices themselves, the most stupid of all questions comes - they are in euros right?
I mean, I wouldn't expect them to sell stuff in local currencies, but when my friend went to Slayer and Judas Priest concerts he brought back merch bought in RSD, which was weird for me. On the other hand, those are bigger bands, I suppose they can afford themselves and their fans such accommodation.
But what about Amo?
I can't recall how they sold their stuff in Sofia, nor can I recall CD prices and so on. I just skimmed through them.

Also, that calendar still gives me the creeps.

What about CDs?
I still don't have Skyforger...shame on me. I was actually hoping about buying that one. What are the average prices?

Skyforger seems to cost 9,95 euros in Record Shop X (+ postage), but I remember that in a few Finnish department stores I have seen it at a reduced price and it has costed only 5 - 6 euros. What a coincidence, over a year ago my previous copy of Skyforger got broken (it didn't play the last tracks anymore) but luckily I found a new one for this six euros...

So, if the merch guy has it, I can hope for a price up to 10 euros.
I could handle that. Hell, I could buy that + some other album I'm missing without buying a shirt, or alternatively, a vinyl release of something, but I doubt about that one. It could be problematic to transport it back home in a crowded bus, and given that my Amo collection is mostly on CDs, it would be more...erm, thematically fitting. Not to mention financially.

In the end, I'm not sure what CDs/records they're hauling with them through Europe. But I will get my wallet ready...

A usability of a Kapanen's web shop is something totally horrible. Or is it just me?

It was sad that there was not anymore those back flags / weeery big badges (I don't know the right term, that kind of a little flag that Tuuletar bought from Nosturi gig), I would like to buy one of those Black Winter Day -flags/badges.

I dunno about the other places, but merch in Belgrade was - surprisingly - way cheaper than it says on site.
In comparison, a shirt was written to be 18 euros on the website - it was sold for approx. 12 euros (the prices were in RSD). CDs too. I imagine someone told the guys nobody will buy their stuff if they're that expensive.

But the stuff sold very well, actually, with some shirts selling out. I myself couldn't resist and bought a shirt plus a planned Skyforger CD. The shirts are of decent quality - only criticism is that majority of them are missing back prints, but I guess I can live with that.
Plus, the merch guy has that aura around him - you just HAVE to give him money. All of my moneyz went to his pocket - luckily, I didn't have much in the first place.

I think the world needs pink mankini with the Amorphis logo.
Also, maybe lip gloss, besides the lipstick.

Otherwise - yeah, the prices were locally adjusted and the merch stand was doing brisk business through the evening. I myself bought the Hamferð CD, an Amorphis tote bag and a guitar pick, which I'll never use, since I don't play guitar. But Esa's picks are hard to come by. I've been trying to get one for ages, but I only have two of Tomi K.'s picks, which he threw from the stage. I cherish them more, as they're trophies. But Esa's are fancier and branded ;)

I probably should've got a Hamferð CD instead of a shirt too, but I dunno, it just went that way. I guess I'll order it eventually.
And yeah, I don't play guitar either, but I probably should have gotten a pick too, since it was really cheap. But eh, doesn't matter now. I'd most likely just put in some dusty corner of my shelf and eventually forget about it.

Lip gloss, lipstick, chapstick...whatever they throw at me, I'll buy. Gotta catch 'em all!

Btw, I don't think I've seen anybody buy a calendar. I'm still laughing about that one.

LOL @ thongs.

On a side note, I'm still looking for a VINNLAND flag that isn't shitty quality. I've looked on ebay and amazon, googled all over and can't find something worthy. (type O flag if you see one, let me know)

Why don't you just make one? There are places where it can be made (depending on the fabric, but I understand it's some sort of textile, and there are places where you can make those), and of solid quality too (I know a store in Serbia that makes stuff like that, and it's of very good quality, so I'm pretty sure there's something in similar in US too).
Technically, it's a bootleg, in case there were actual flags as merch, but it's not like anybody will notice or that you're hurting the band at this point.

The online store I knew that used to sell Vinland flags is no longer in business. At this point I don't know of anyplace that sells them that isn't also associated with the bonehead nithings from **********. Too many WP types appropriating that flag and scaring off the non-WP cultural Nords.