Mercy Falls reviews

Here is another one, courtesy of www.rockreport.be:

http://www.rockreport.be/review.asp?id=2202

“Mercy Falls” is the third album in four years from this excellent Swedish progmetal band
and they keep on surprising me with the high quality of their output. “Become” (2005) was
already very good, the follow-up “Waiting In The Wings” (2006) was great and at least the
same can be said of the brand-new “Mercy Falls”, which turns out to be a concept album
‘based on the fate of a small town, a family tragedy and … human nature’.

Mainly written while on tour in Europe in 2007, the new album offers all the ingredients
we dared to expect from the five band members: superb songs with a wealth of variety
and tempo changes, soaring vocals from Tommy Karevik, fiery axework from Johan Liefvendahl,
subtle yet effective keyboards from Andreas Söderin, a solid rhythm section from the pair of
Andras Blomqvist and Johnny Sandin, plus an excellent sound (Seventh Wonder, Daniel Flores,
Tommy Hansen) and a deluxe packaging (although there’s also a standard CD available).

I just hope Lion Music can keep this flagship, because I’m afraid they’re becoming too
huge for such a small label! Absolutely recommended, once again!!! (CL)

Members' opinions:

kotzenfan (on 3/10/08)

My first time through I didn't find this album to be fantastic. Now after a
few more listens it has really opened up into a killer album. The concept
story is interesting as well. Great job!

E (on 3/10/08)

The best album of 2008 till now. Great musicians and even better songs.
Hope they will come to the Netherlands very soon. SUPERB!!!!

YNGWIEVIKING (on 3/10/08)

Very good MELODIC PROG METAL !
very easy to catch and pretty melodic even if the technical parts &
the many rhythmic twist and turns of the genre are present here !
very good band as the previous albums already warned us !

www.rockunited.com (9/10):
SEVENTH WONDER: "Mercy Falls" 9
LionMusic 2008
Review by Urban "Wally" Wallstrom,
7 October 2008

Not one, but two, instrumental pieces as the first pair of opening numbers on this 15-track CD seems like a rather strange and daring concept. Ok, the first one is a soundtrack-score, a fanfare-keyboard intro, possible inspired by Kiss and their famous car-crash accident of "Detroit Rock City". It's also the beginning of this concept album based on the fate of a small town, a tragedy, aka the crash, and the loss of a family member (who'll end up as a coma patient).

"Mercy Falls" is the third album release by Seventh Wonder and it's definitely their magnum opus. This isn't just another average Prog-Rock effort, nah, it's frankly put a small masterpiece of music, and you'll find large parts of 'Pomp' and Melodic Metal on this platter too. Imagine the close to perfect mix of Yngwie Malmsteen during 'Eclipse', Dream Theater (Images And Words) and some of the grand pomp of Robby Valentine and Queen, and you're definitely a bit closer to the core of "Mercy Falls".

Still they have their very own original Prog-Metal sound and it's a utterly melodic, complex, album, that just keeps getting better for each spin (up to a certain point of course). Vocalist Tommy Karevik is like a updated and more diverse version of Goran Edman (Yngwie Malmsteen, Madison, Glory), and there are just marvelous guitar/keyboard interludes to be found throughout the record. I really can't single out any tracks or even mention any 'highlights' as they're all part of this superb concept album.

Best of all, even though it smells like prog-metal, it's basically a cross-over release, and you don't really need to be a die-hard fan of any 'special' genre of hardrock to appreciate the music. Final Verdict: you'll end up in awe over the lads ability to combine melody, harmony, and complexity. The 74 minutes of music will all be gone way too soon and you'll be spinning the disc over and over again. Highly Recommended!

I just have to say, that since i heard it for the first time, i haven't been able to stop listening it, It's just awsome!!!
The best 2008 album!
I would like to get the lyrics, I can't find them anywhere. and i'm an ass at listening lyrics, so i'd appreciate if you could give them to me

jajaja yeah well, I found it on amazon, but the shipping to here(colombia), is just, 17USD...'¬¬ so, it's quite expensive, actually, if you take on count that the cd itself costs almost 25USD, so, I'm thinking that if I can Get it on the DVD+CD, I'd buy it right away, because just a cd Doesn't justify that expensive shipping, BTW, how much is the lionmusic.com shipping?, or, where can I see those prices?

Just Downloaded the become album, on my way to listen to it!

BTW, here's my review for this excelent album: (it's originally in spanish, I translated it the best I could:saint:)

A wonderfull progressive metal band, from sweden, with an awsome drummer, a very technical and diverse bassist, a great guitarrist with an exceptional tone, one of the best keyboard players I've ever heard, and, well everithing combined makes this great band that have 3 albums this far, and the best release of this year(for me:)) is the third album, called Mercy Falls
mercy falls.
It's a Concept album that as far as i can understand, tells the history of a man who falls into a comma state(after his wife's great idea of telling him that their son is not his son actually, while he is driving and it's raining) and he arrives to a town in his mind called mercy falls.
Very touching songs like tears for a father, tears for a son and one last goddbye are one of the strong parts of this album, is just a rest of all that power it transmitts the other songs, nothing to envy great prog-metal bands such as Dream Theater or Symphony X.
Anyways, this group, and particulalry THis Album, left me like o_O when I first listened to it. then it was more like this way:OMG:
now I'm more this way:worship:
:heh:

You can see this one in spanish in here
Long Life Seventh Wonder!!:headbang::kickass:

:heh:

Yeah, long live SW..........

...and now order the album! :Smokedev:

Damn, that's not a T, is an I! sorry:saint:
I'm not that good in english.... :saint: what I was trying to say, as i said before, is that:
I want The special edition with the DVD+CD

I knew that........just fooling around, mate :p.

I hope you are able to get the SE as soon as possible.
I'm sure you will experience the album on a whole new level when reading the booklet/lyrics!!

If the SE is not an option, just get the regular edition......the SE-disc is a nice bonus but it is not a "must have".

:loco:

I never catch those ones..XD

I found the album on lion music, and I'me thinking seriously about bying it, since it is much cheaper than on amazon, I think by next weekend I'll be buying it, for now, I think I'll be very focused on DT's chaos in motion DVD:headbang::headbang: