Mercyful Fate - Melissa re-release

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I saw an avertisement in some magazine a few days ago about the Melissa 25th anniversary edition coming out. It wasn't terribly different than the re-master (of fairly recent note), with one major exception: It comes with a DVD of a live show from 1983. Very cool! It's released on 8/30 according to the Roadrunner website. It has more bonus tracks than the re-master too, but it's that DVD that I'm after.

I know a few of you will wanna know this....

ElectricWiz said:
I saw an avertisement in some magazine a few days ago about the Melissa 25th anniversary edition coming out. It wasn't terribly different than the re-master (of fairly recent note), with one major exception: It comes with a DVD of a live show from 1983.

Oh man, this one's a must! :headbang:

Evil? said:
I've always wanted to see a MF show...might have to pick this one up. thanks for the notice :)

My thoughts exactly. I've always wanted to see them, but it's that era that is my favorite. I've actually balked at seeing King Diamond a couple of times (though I intend to see him next tour) because I know that it can't quite live up to my mind's eye at this point. I kind of faded from his solo career after THEM, long ago as that was. He still occupies a big part of my love for metal though. It's that really dark era though, when Fate was weilding those old-school duel guitars and the imagery was scaring the crap out of the neighbors that I dig most. I'll be in the store the day this goes on sale, Melissa being one of my all time faves.

ElectricWiz said:
I It comes with a DVD of a live show from 1983.

That might be a registration from one of the many gigs at the Dynamo pub, were I was present, or the Aardschock day! :headbang:

Looking forward to that!

Thanks for the info, I want that DVD badly!

I remember that the previous RoadRunner remaster sucked though, they had the reverb erased on the last track ("Melissa") and even King doesn't know why...
Yeah I'm a purist ;)

Fangface said:
Thanks for the info, I want that DVD badly!

I remember that the previous RoadRunner remaster sucked though, they had the reverb erased on the last track ("Melissa") and even King doesn't know why...
Yeah I'm a purist ;)

Haha. You know, there was something that bugged me about it too. Toward the end of the title track there was a vocal part that was, apparently, restored. Roughly three minutes in where King says, "She was a witch, why did he take you away..." (if not exactly) there is some addes stuff after, just some "Oh Melissa," stuff. I have never quite gotten used to that. A small qualm, but it doesn't quite work for me.

I think the 25th anniversary might be more specifically about Roadrunner's 25th anniversary now that I think on it, not that specific release. They are re-doing a bunch of albums. Some of the King Diamond solo stuff too.

ElectricWiz said:
Haha. You know, there was something that bugged me about it too. Toward the end of the title track there was a vocal part that was, apparently, restored. Roughly three minutes in where King says, "She was a witch, why did he take you away..." (if not exactly) there is some addes stuff after, just some "Oh Melissa," stuff. I have never quite gotten used to that. A small qualm, but it doesn't quite work for me.

I've never cared for that myself. I much prefer the original mix of the album. Hopefully it'll be restored to it's former state with this new one. The DVD is the really important item like you all said. I have a couple old MF bootleg videos from that era but they are of rather bad quality. It'll be great seeing one in professional condition.

I also have a show from 83' on video which isn't good quality. melissa is a great classic album.the dvd will be a killer bonus.

ElectricWiz said:
I saw an avertisement in some magazine a few days ago about the Melissa 25th anniversary edition coming out. It wasn't terribly different than the re-master (of fairly recent note), with one major exception: It comes with a DVD of a live show from 1983. Very cool! It's released on 8/30 according to the Roadrunner website. It has more bonus tracks than the re-master too, but it's that DVD that I'm after.

I know a few of you will wanna know this....
Thanks for the news bro, I'll have a copy of that on release date for sure...

SoundMaster said:
This DVD may be shite quality too...much like the recent Fates Warning Awaken the Guardian re-release?!?

I'm certainly wondering about that. I haven't seen that Fates one yet. Is it the one from Pennsylvania or someplace like that? Maybe it was Detroit instead. Anyway, I heard John Arch mention it in an interview once. In any case, it's pretty bad then?

SoundMaster said:
This DVD may be shite quality too...much like the recent Fates Warning Awaken the Guardian re-release?!?

Thats what I was thinking. If it is one of the Dynamo gig your fears may be come true.