merzbow

Susperia said:
Well... 99.6% of people who post here are male. What, did you want me to be able to smell your male pheromones from here? Sorry, it just seemed the more logical gender to pick.

I've never heard a Noise band before. I'm assuming they're not really just noise----- I mean, sludge isn't just sludge, etc. What makes it "noise"? Technically all music is noise.
Put your radio on an untuned channel and you've got pretty much the equivalent of noise music.

To say Noise is music unless you're trying to prove things just for the sake of doing it like that fag John Cage is pointless. Noise is an extension of Industrial, which if people looked at its roots, instead of just writing it off as being all NIN and Ministry or Dance electronica like Meat Beat Manifesto or VNV Nation they'd see that it started out kind of like punk, except it was free form art(Look at Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, Coil, Whitehouse, early Skinny Puppy, Einsturzende Neubauten etc for a clear representation of what Industrial is) that was against the pretentiousness of prog and arena rock, and also was an expression of working class life. With that said Noise cannot be judged on the same set of standards which one judges traditional music as it is Anti Music.
These standards are harder to describe, Anti Music has to be more honest as anyone could mix up some noise... a good example of what I consider to be an incredible Noise act is Melek-Tha, though they're more Black Ambient which I won't go into, because they capture a bleak atmosphere that could be described as tr00 and kvlt effortlessly.
Due to the sheer volume of Merzbow releases(no pun intended) many of the suffer in terms of quality, my picks would have to be the albums he did for Tzadik and Relapse, as well as his collaborations(not just the Boris ones, A Perfect Pain with Genesis P. Orridge as well), plus his first few live releases.
... now wheres VVVVV to elaborate...

I don´t care about this kind of music, nor do I see no use to release a 50 CD Box, like Merzbow did. About Ambient someone should check out Blood Axis even if they aren´t that "true" Ambient

Noise isn't necessarily ambient. Blood Axis sure as fuck aren't ambient.

Birkenau said:
Put your radio on an untuned channel and you've got pretty much the equivalent of noise music.

You're dumb.

Susperia said:
Well... 99.6% of people who post here are male. What, did you want me to be able to smell your male pheromones from here? Sorry, it just seemed the more logical gender to pick.

I wasnt offended cause yes I'm a guy, i just was kinda curious.

Is noise music actually 'noise' or patterns repeating using tones,textures,sounds,noises,etc... I've never heard what would be considered noise.

Could noise be trance like and what not.

The Greys said:
Is noise music actually 'noise' or patterns repeating using tones,textures,sounds,noises,etc... I've never heard what would be considered noise.

Could noise be trance like and what not.
noise is noise, there is no "music" in it except perhaps in the very loosest of terms because i guess there is usually some sort of "structure"

to expand on birkenau's explanation, if you have radio static and hook it up to a distortion pedal and press this distortion pedal every 10 seconds and sometimes maybe an EQ pedal and blah blah blah yes you would have "noise music"

but using ready made noise isn't really cool i think so you'd better make your own noise making contraptions such as gluing a contact microphone to a rubber duck floating in a bathtub full of PIG BLOOD then hook this contact mic up to a series of 12 DOD FX-86B DEATH METAL DISTORTION pedals then throw rocks and scream at this poor rubber ducky all while being naked and activating and deactivating your pedals at random moments of extra intensity until 60 minutes later you finish by pulling out a CHAINSAW AND KILLING IT you will pretty much have made a noise album but its kinda up to the GENRE AFICIONADOS to decide whether it's "good" or not (probably not huh)

it will end up sounding like radio static

Merzbow is industrial/noisecore
Phrozenspite said:
To say Noise is music unless you're trying to prove things just for the sake of doing it like that fag John Cage is pointless. Noise is an extension of Industrial, which if people looked at its roots, instead of just writing it off as being all NIN and Ministry or Dance electronica like Meat Beat Manifesto or VNV Nation they'd see that it started out kind of like punk, except it was free form art(Look at Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, Coil, Whitehouse, early Skinny Puppy, Einsturzende Neubauten etc for a clear representation of what Industrial is) that was against the pretentiousness of prog and arena rock, and also was an expression of working class life. With that said Noise cannot be judged on the same set of standards which one judges traditional music as it is Anti Music.
These standards are harder to describe, Anti Music has to be more honest as anyone could mix up some noise... a good example of what I consider to be an incredible Noise act is Melek-Tha, though they're more Black Ambient which I won't go into, because they capture a bleak atmosphere that could be described as tr00 and kvlt effortlessly.
Due to the sheer volume of Merzbow releases(no pun intended) many of the suffer in terms of quality, my picks would have to be the albums he did for Tzadik and Relapse, as well as his collaborations(not just the Boris ones, A Perfect Pain with Genesis P. Orridge as well), plus his first few live releases.
... now wheres VVVVV to elaborate...
Very well said.

Birkenau said:
Also, this thread belongs in non-metal thx.

This forum is called "General Music Discussion." One might argue that Merbow does not qualify as music, but if you accept that it does, it fits here quite rightly according to the title of the forum. Why there is a "non-metal" forum at all is one of ultimatemetal.com's great mysteries.

Anyway, as usual, blame Deron for the confusion because he's the person responsible for the ambiguous sub-forums.