Mesa Boogie Rectifier price

jangoux

May 9, 2006
I am getting sick of my handmade Soldano clone and so jealous after listening to all you guys Rectifier samples, they're just friggin' amazing. I am really thinking of pissing off my wife and pulling the trigger on a Rectifier head. But how much those are running used ? I will need to import one from the US or something as those cost around $3k here in Brazil.

Ivan

A Dual Recto (really the only one you should consider) usually runs between $1100 and $1500 USD, depending on condition/age/2- or 3-channel - naturally, the 2-channels are the ones to shoot for, cuz everyone says they sound better; the only advantage to a 3-channel is being able to footswitch between the different modes, but there's pretty much no sounds a 3-channel can get that a 2-channel can't do as well if not better.

Blasphemy!!!:mad:

I dont know, I cant get a heavy tone out of it, can get thick mids, maybe its my transformers. I am getting a hi-fi one soon, whch is closer to what soldano and mesa use, and i will see if it improves something - or not.

Metaltastic, Why only the Dual ? The single Rectos arent any good ?

I dont know, I cant get a heavy tone out of it, can get thick mids, maybe its my transformers. I am getting a hi-fi one soon, whch is closer to what soldano and mesa use, and i will see if it improves something - or not.

Mine sounds very close to a 5150, with more vibrant mids and a bit tighter lowend... I don't know why it sounds different from every other SLO clone I have heard, seeing as how they are all pretty much built the same.... and I used the cheap Weber transformers, which IMO sound great.

But, you can't go wrong with a DR....

Yeah, truthfully, both from what I've heard here and my own experience, for some reason the Single Rectifiers really don't have the same balls that the Dual/Triples do - I've never played a Dual, but I've spent a fair amount of time with a triple, and when I played a Single at a guitar store recently, I was thoroughly underwhelmed.

Mine sounds very close to a 5150, with more vibrant mids and a bit tighter lowend... I don't know why it sounds different from every other SLO clone I have heard, seeing as how they are all pretty much built the same.... and I used the cheap Weber transformers, which IMO sound great.

But, you can't go wrong with a DR....

Mine sounded close to a 5150 combo, using the same cab, but more buzzy and with more hi-mid bite. Recorded, however, the 5150 sounded thicker, and had the green channel, which was far more useful to me due to being thicker. I am rebuilding mine right now, with dual bias and some mods. I will also change the transformer to either a hi-fi i bought or a engl savage transformer which is the way to Brazil. What tubes u used in it ?

I have one tung sol on my amp and its way brighter than JJs, which were too dark, to the point of being muddy...i liked it so far:headbang:

naturally, the 2-channels are the ones to shoot for, cuz everyone says they sound better; the only advantage to a 3-channel is being able to footswitch between the different modes

Ummm, the 3channel heads are much more versatile when compared to the older 2channel heads, so you can't really get all the tones of the 3channel head with a 2channel one.

So when it comes to versatility the 3channel Recto's are way more versatile(3XEQ's, every channel has different modes...), but yes, some people do prefer the 2chan Recto's distorted tone.

There are people who prefer the 3channel heads over the 2channel heads and vice versa. I know people who have owned both and they liked them both, some did even prefer the 3channel heads. So the 2channel Recto is not the universally better sounding one!

Have you tried them both yourself?

And relax, I am not attacking you in any way, but... It just seems that there's a huge amount of people raving about the channel heads, and when you ask 'em if they have played one, they respond "No, but one guy on a message board owns a 2channel head and he says it is much better than the 3channel heads" and then you end up having thousand of people like this. And no, I am not saying you are one of them :lol:

And even if it seems like I am taking this personally, I really am not. Yes, I do own a 3channel Triple Rectifier, which I love to death, but it doesen't really matter to me if somebody doesen't like the amp, since a "good tone" is a highly subjective thing, and if somebody can achieve his/her ideal tone with a 3 or 2 channel Recto, it's all good, but like I said, there is no universally better one.

And if I remember correctly, the majority of the Recto clips here, have been tracked with a 3channel heads and there has not been a lot of negative feedback about the clips, so it can't be that bad :lol:

Have you tried them both yourself?

Nope.

It just seems that there's a huge amount of people raving about the channel heads, and when you ask 'em if they have played one, they respond "No, but one guy on a message board owns a 2channel head and he says it is much better than the 3channel heads" and then you end up having thousand of people like this.

Guilty as charged. :D

But seriously, I've played and recorded a fair amount with a 2-channel triple, and demo'ed a Single in a store, and that's the extent of my Recto experience. However, there was a thread recently where a bunch of 3-channel owners chimed in about their frustrations trying to get a good tone with settings that had been posted from a 2-channel (and failing miserably), but then realizing that apparently the presence is much more sensitive on the new ones. So that thread (among many others) contributes towards my understanding of the 2-channels being more desirable (my understanding, mind you, not my steadfast opinion, cuz I haven't verified it myself).

As to the 3 being more versatile, though - how so? You can get the orange channel on a 2-channel (it's either than or the green on channel 1), and it has the switches for modern/vintage and its own eq. The independent eq's on the three-channel make it more versatile IF you need to switch on the fly - but as I understand it, in a studio environment, there's not much the 3-channel can do that the 2-channel can't (even if it takes more switching/retweaking). Or maybe I'm off...

It just seems that there's a huge amount of people raving about the channel heads, and when you ask 'em if they have played one, they respond "No, but one guy on a message board owns a 2channel head and he says it is much better than the 3channel heads" and then you end up having thousand of people like this. And no, I am not saying you are one of them :lol:

Though I don't own one myself, I have been lucky enough to play one of the 2 channel Dual Rectos while I was on holiday in Devon a year or two back. Well worth the money spent on the holiday! haha. They are that good.

I've heard the better ones were the ones manufactured circa '95, but I can't remember who said it or what grounds it was based on.

personally the only rectifier i like is the Dual Rectifier Rackmount, serious thick tone. check out the Mark series too, VERY versatile amp. you can find them for ~$800 used and i definatly prefer my MarkIII over my 3-channel rectifier which was sold in less than 1 month.

personally the only rectifier i like is the Dual Rectifier Rackmount, serious thick tone. check out the Mark series too, VERY versatile amp. you can find them for ~$800 used and i definatly prefer my MarkIII over my 3-channel rectifier which was sold in less than 1 month.

Marks could be a nice option, but i really want something more beefy. I already had a DC3, which i a simpler Mark, and I want something 'bigger'. $800 would be a value to think, tho. What else can be had up to $1000, $1200 that is not a 5150 ?

Marks could be a nice option, but i really want something more beefy. I already had a DC3, which i a simpler Mark, and I want something 'bigger'. $800 would be a value to think, tho. What else can be had up to $1000, $1200 that is not a 5150 ?

it kinda depends on what your going to be playing and exactly how versitle the amp needs to be. with that price range id say you can have pretty much any decient head.

Marshall JCM800
Mesa Dual Rec
Mesa Mark III
Krank Krankenstein
Peavey 5150 (i know... but check out modded versions http://www.fjamods.com/5150.html :))
Peavey XXX
VHT Deliverance
ENGL Fireball

the list goes on.....and all can be had for $1200 or less used

if your just going to be playing straight metal and you have very little need for clean, i would reconcider the dual rec. theyre awesome amps but i think there are much better sounding amps at that price range.

what are you looking for in an amp? whats not cutting it in your current rig?

Not really metal, but i could use modern heavy tones and a clean channel would be nice. I loved some VHT deliverance tones i listened, but the lack of clean chanell is a bummer. I am currently not playing on a band (even considering quitting guitar playing) but IF i have a banda again someday, i'd like to have those 'features', and the versatility is for the bands i record. The Mark looks the more versatile but a Recto is kinda like a dream :lol: