Mesa Stiletto/Traditional

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
I've just received my MEsa stiletto (former traditional) and....FUCK ME, is this box awesome!
it's got lot's of the mesa smoothness, but it's way more agressive in the midrange than the rectifier/standard.
the OS has more bottomend and is more scooped, the trad is more biting...both are great, but I'm loving that stiletto right now.

It was used on the latest Satyricon album with great result, Black'n'Roll :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1oBpl66i4U

well, it's also the one that Andy is using for most of his stuff.....and Adam D as well I think.

I can't say which one I like better, the OS has this chunky smoothness, it sounds really big and "finished" with zero fizz.
the trad is a bit tighter and bitier, somewhat meaner....
will probably blend them a lot in the future

have fun, lasse!

hermann ;)

yeah, I will.
this will probably be my goto cab for thrashy/oldschool stuff.
doesn't beat the OS for modern chugging of course, but I knew that...

(Hermann is the one I traded cabs with, I had two OS (ordered a stiletto but got another OS sent...and since I didn't need two OS I traded the new one with his trad/stiletto).
And it's just what I expected, more mid-bite, but also less smooth/big.
Mesa cabs are just the best.

about the clips: I'm not posting them yet, cause so far the Oversized cab is still kicking this cab's ass...but that's not fair cause I know the OS better (know which speaker to mic etc), I'm gonna spend some more time with the trad on monday and then post a comparison clip when I feel I can use the potential of the trad like I'm using the full potential of the OS.

Cool, keep us posted :)

Maybe do a 12o'clock settings, through all 8 speakers in the classic Sneap position?

ha yeah i think some people are getting confused!

im confused with mesa cabs!

so you've got the stiletto cab which is smaller, tighter bass, bitey upper midrange AND the standard rectifier cab which is slightly bigger, big bass response, no fizz, smooth overall sounding.

is this correct?

so you've got the stiletto cab which is smaller, tighter bass, bitey upper midrange AND the standard rectifier cab which is slightly bigger, big bass response, no fizz, smooth overall sounding.

is this correct?

correct :)

..........old.............-....new

Rectifier OS/Std ... - Rectifier
Rectifier traditional - Stiletto

I can't speak for the rest but I know it's a cab and I mentioned 12 o'clock settings as a means for providing an unbiased test of the 2 cabs, regardless of what amp is used for the test.

Congrats Lasse!

I actually have a couple of those cabs. I like my OS cabs but these are great too. Personally, besides sounding different with the same amp of course, i think you will find that it matches some heads better than others. For instance the mesa mark series sound so much better thru these IMO than the OS. Anyways im excited to try and mix these on a recording.

Nice one, Lasse!

...I mentioned 12 o'clock settings as a means for providing an unbiased test of the 2 cabs, regardless of what amp is used for the test.

12 o'clocking all the knobs on the tonestack is not at all flat, and the actual contour of the response will be very different for different amps.

Check out this program to see how the response actually changes as you dial. Fender and Marshall are the most common circuit styles.

How much presence boost is applied at "5" is determined by the amount of NFB the poweramp uses, which again varies from one amp to another. Presence frequency also varies.

A very few amps use active tone/presence controls, and those tone circuits may have flat response at 5. But...

Add to that, guitar amps have a shed-load of extra non-adjustable tone-shaping filters. Which means even if two amps have identical tonestacks, they may need very different dialling to produce a similar overall eq curve.

Everything-on-5 is not a neutral setting, and is a more biased way of evaluation since it flatters a cab which happens to best fit that particular tone curve.