Meshuggah - Catch 33

KornyBstd

May 16, 2006
Sweden
Dunno if anyone has made a review yet for this but I'll write one just in case no one else has..

The swedish band Meshuggah are known for their unique style of playing off-beat, which makes it extremely hard to headbang to ;). The drum pattern of all songs is 4/4 (the drums were programmed, as the drummer Thomas Haake did not have time to record his drumming) and the guitar goes in pretty much any other rhythm than the drums.

The album is an experimental album which can be noticed after listening through the first couple of tracks. In its essence, Catch 33 is one big song as each track continues into each other and merges..kind of like a mixtape for a metal band.

Esoteric lyrics, odd polyrythmics and 8 string guitars are a trademark for Meshuggah, but this album takes these 3 factors to a whole new level. Listening to the album puts you in a haze of thoughts and once the last track "Sum" ends you feel like you just been mind-fucked.

What is good about this album you might ask? Well Meshuggah have succesfully made an album which fits into no specific Metal genre, it's so unique that it very possibly fit into a completely new genre. While some tracks are just full of the most annoying and weird noises you will ever encounter such as "Mind's Mirror", other tracks are brutal, head-first mind-blowing that will surely get your adrenaline pumping.

If you're into melodic metal, you would probably not be able to stand more than 5 seconds of Meshuggah. If you're more open to new, weird, and heavy music, then you should try out Meshuggah.

Catch 33 is an album you would have to listen to several times to fully appreciate it. But at the same time, listening to too much Meshuggah is like eating too much chocolate..you get sick of it after a while.

Well, first of all I wanna thank you, KornyBstd, for finding some time and writing this review :kickass:
Personally I just LOVE these swedish bastards. I have to confess though that albums "Destroy Erase Improve", "Chaosphere" and "Nothing" are more attractive for me than "Catch 33". I still have to admit that the last one - is something new and definitely deserves attention.

I was really surprised that they have electronic drums on this album - I'd never guess it.
Thomas Haake is definitely awesome drummer. He's just a beast and has no mercy with breaking the standarts of rythm and creating that crazy polyrythmic stuff. If I knew him in life - I'd probably make breakfasts for him every morning...

This idea of one big song is also cool, I guess. Though I know ppl say that it makes the album boring and its hard to listen to.

I love Meshuggah's lyrics. They also have something special in their texts, and always something difficult.

I love the song "Shed". I found out that the main part of the song's lyris sings Haake, and Kidman only yells right in the start and right in the end. I love the effect (filter) they've put on Haake's vocal in this song.

I agree with you that its impossible to listen to Meshuggah too much. You will lose the taste of something special. It should be like a good expansive wine that dilutants your ordinary days and everyday life.

Yay, I'll check them out, thanks. I already like the name haha.
Also I know russian band Uncrossed that plays similar stuff, but they mix math metal and jazz. They're just crazy.

KornyBstd said:
If you're into melodic metal, you would probably not be able to stand more than 5 seconds of Meshuggah. If you're more open to new, weird, and heavy music, then you should try out Meshuggah.

Yup. I hate most melodic metal. I already know this album is for me. Meshuggah is a great band. I recommend them to almost any fan of metal.

~Neurotica said:
Yay, I'll check them out, thanks. I already like the name haha.
Also I know russian band Uncrossed that plays similar stuff, but they mix math metal and jazz. They're just crazy.
yea I think it means "eat shit" in greek or something.

:p

Heh, first off, it isn't really in 4/4. It adds up to 4/4, but isn't in 4/4. Mabye I'll grave dig my previous explanation of the mathematics up for you people. The only thing really in 4/4 all the time is that little tapping hi-hat on some of their albums (chaosphere). Anyways, I totally agree with the good reviews. This is meshuggah on the next level. I liked the other albums, especially nothing, but this is just so sweet. It is actually more normal in rythems then their other cds, but it just has killer atmosphere. And I love how they use the eight strings. Unlike crappy nu-metal, they use all the strings effectively. And I love minds mirrors. That guitar effect gives me creeps. GRRRRRUUUUMMMM-M-M--M--M. ;) Anyone who has the new tool album, notice that they borrowed that effect, as well as some meshuggah riffs. God, I love this album. Fine wine indeed.

:err: Tool admited to having influence from Meshuggah. Also, I interesting to learn that they used 8 string guitars that's awesome. I didn't even know they made those. Are you sure you didn't mean 7 stringer?

MetalNoob said:
I hope your kidding me right? Meshuggah is yiddish and it means crazy people. Man I kinda thought that was common knowledge. :err:

Errmmmm, he was talking not about Meshuggah, - about Coprofago.
And about Meshuggah's name I heard 2 versions:

1. Meshuggah - name comes from Messiah (Christ) in some ancient jewish or some other language (i'm not sure).
2. Meshuggah - the monster from scandinavian tales.

ok, now I know the third version...

I'm not kidding you about Meshuggah is yiddish. I swear and I know that it's derived from Meshuggahna which means crazy people. Your right though it's a common Jewish word, but most yiddish speakers are Jews.

Sorry about the Coprofago I didn't see that post.

Damn, I want one of those suckers.

Yeah, they got custom made 8-strings from ibanez because they were working on evolving their sound to a more sterile evil sort of thing. It is on nothing, I and Catch 33. Pretty sweet really. They really have one of the best guitar tones/timbres in all of extreme metal, if you ask me. I'm not sure what effects they use on it.

there were 8-string Nevborn guitars first during the recording of Nothing, but Ibanez made them 8-strings later

they use Line6 exclusively nowadays, but had used Mesa Boogie Rectifiers during Destroy Erase Improve i think.