Meshuggah - Catch 33

MetalNoob said:
4/4 time is standard for any song so that would make it easy, but a guess he meant how the guitars don't follow the rthym. Not really sure though I could be wrong.

The foot pedals and guitar follow something odd , as a time signature !

Believe it or not, this was actually my very first metal album.. As you probably guessed, I didn't know jack shit about any metal back then, but this album jumped out at me in how it was different than anything else I'd ever heard. Even now, after sampling almost every different type of metal, it still strikes me as odd. It took me a bit to get used to the sound, but after giving it several listens, I really started to love this band. There's few other bands, if any, out there that kick ass and play hard like Meshuggah.

By the way, "meshuggah" is the Yiddish/Hebrew word for "crazy".

KornyBstd said:
The drum pattern of all songs is 4/4 (the drums were programmed, as the drummer Thomas Haake did not have time to record his drumming)

The drumming is definately not 4/4. And they didn't program the drums because of lack of time, they wanted to do it that way.

Awesome album.

Satanstoenail said:
And they didn't program the drums because of lack of time, they wanted to do it that way.
I heard they did. Because Haake was too busy with his other projects. He programmed drumms on his own made program "Drumkit from hell".

~Neurotica said:
I heard they did. Because Haake was too busy with his other projects. He programmed drumms on his on made program "Drumkit from hell".

Yeah you may be right there. I read it differently, in this interview in Decibel mag. I interpretted it as them wanting to do it that way, but they do say it's a convenience thing.

Blue_Jay said:
Well I listened to this for my first time today. So far I'm not impressed but I heard from others this is supposed to grow on me. I hope they are right.

So far I'm not impressed by your Steve Irwin pic.

Blue_Jay said:
Well I listened to this for my first time today. So far I'm not impressed but I heard from others this is supposed to grow on me. I hope they are right.
I would say - you might not like them at all, but still be impressed by their stuff. Cause their music is close to something fucking unbelievable...
Meshuggah needs time to get into them. Nobody says you're gonna like them at last though.

Indeed, there is a chance of a great payoff, but no guarentees. Especially this album. This is one of the more difficult to get, in my opinion.

4/4? yeah, its kind of. Meshuggah actually play in multiple sigs at once, and usually 4/4 is one of them. It makes it possible to keep together on some of the crazier stuff.