Metal 2015

I'd probably have 'Under the Red Cloud' sitting around a 9.5/10. And I don't really get much of an 'Elegy' vibe from it to be honest, and 'Elegy' is in my top 5 favourite albums of all time and for me is a 10/10.

I'm basically just mesmerised by Amorphis in general. I fucking can't believe how good they are. I don't usually say things like this, but I can't believe that anyone who likes melody in their metal won't immediately fall in love with 'Under the Red Cloud'. It's very close to perfect.

Reactions: nizzon
I need to give it more spins. Hopefully it grows on me. What did you think of it in comparison to Circle?

I really love 'Circle' too. In fact, I think 'Circle' is the next best Tomi Joutsen album of the six (or however many there are now). I just feel that it has a full complement of great songs. In the past, I've sort of felt that albums like 'Silent Waters' and definitely 'The Beginning of Times' have a bit of filler in them in the last third of each album. 'Silent Waters', for instance, has some of the best Amorphis tracks ever written, but one or two that don't really do it for me. 'The Beginning of Times' is mostly filler for some reason. 'Circle' and 'Under the Red Cloud' are full albums of great songs, I reckon.

I think there's a production quality on 'Red Cloud' that trumps it over 'Circle' though. It's just so perfect sounding.

Last edited:
Reactions: paul545
I love Eclipse. That's probably my favorite Amorphis record.

Here's how I rate the Amorphis full-lengths in order of release:

The Karelian Isthmus (1992): 7/10
Tales from the Thousand Lakes (1994): 10/10
Elegy (1996): 10/10
Tuonela (1999): 5/10
Am Universum (2001): 6/10
Far from the Sun (2003): 6/10
Eclipse (2006): 9.5/10 --------> Tomi Joutsen joins
Silent Waters (2007): 8.5/10
Skyforger (2009): 9/10
The Beginning of Times (2011): 7/10
Circle (2013): 9.5/10
Under the Red Cloud (2015): 9.5/10

Reactions: paul545
That makes sense. I'm just a fan of the previous vocalist. Those more alternative rock albums were pretty good for the style. Far from the Sun is pretty strong especially.

Last edited:
That makes sense. I'm just a fan of the previous vocalist. Those more alternative rock albums were pretty good for the style. Far from the Sun is pretty strong especially.

I'd listen to them in a pub or driving around in my car, but overall those alt rock albums are flat as tacks compared to the later (and earlier) material. They do have their fans, though, and I tip my hat to 'em.

I'll have to check out Circle. I wasn't solid on The Beginning of Times so I never picked it up.

It's a real mystery that album. It's surrounded by incredible albums, it has all the same personnel, the cover is amazing, but apart from tracks 1 and 2 it's a really mundane listen. I can't remember anything specific about it because I don't play it these days, but I remember giving it more than its fair share of time to sink in etc. It just didn't happen (apart from those first two really cool songs). Then 'Circle' came out and it was boom back in business!

I have see post talking about songs you prefered in 2015, top albums and so on but I would like propose a little change with simply ask you which are the bands that you discover in 2015