Metal 2017

I was disappointed in that Nokturnal Mortum song as well. Weak vocals. Had some more interesting sections towards the end, but not up to par with The Voice of Steel on first listen.

The new NM track is awesome. It's one piece of the whole album anyway...not fair to say it doesn't hold up to VOS. It'll be an epic, amazing album for sure. Those guys are too critical of their own music to make half-assed shit.

their keyboardist left the band apparently, idk if that means anything though. i'm not writing off the album based on that track but i'm not finding it particularly interesting as a stand-alone so far.

he did leave the band, but...

As a stand alone i can see how it would wear off after a bit, but taken as part of the whole (as NM albums need to be listened to all the way through in one sitting) I am confident that it will sound in place and wonderful. They're really one of the few bands that puts 100% effort into every song on every release, which I respect. I love their dedication to "no filler..."...

I don't listen to a lot of thrash at all anymore and haven't for some years. But is Heathen still around? I used to love Lee Altus...is he still a main writer for Exodus?

... they've been pretty quiet for the last few years. Their last album was 2010's The Evolution of Chaos(check it out if you haven't, solid album) and i dont think they've hit the road since '02.

Heathen is still around. Their bass player is gigging with a local thrash band here.