Metal 2017

Power Trip is clearly my AOTY so far. Haven't heard the new Warbringer but the sample I've heard doesn't indicate it's going to outdo PT.

That Power Trip record is pretty much crushing everything out there so far. That, and Dodecahedron have to be the best this year but lots of good stuff out recently like The Omnious Circle, Shaarimoth, Grima, Lockup, Heretoir, Cover of Night, Lantern, Morta Skuld, Schattenvald, etc.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/av...d-halos-cover-artwork-track-listing-unveiled/

01. Into The Fire / Into The Storm (4:14)
02. The Starless Sleep (4:47)
03. Road To Jerusalem (5:48)
04. Medusa Child (9:00)
05. The Sky At The Bottom Of The Sea (5:25)
06. When Breath Turns To Air (4:46)
07. A Kiss (From The End Of The World) (7:14)
08. Hurricanes And Halos (3:32)
Yesterday's live premiere of the opening track:

https://www.facebook.com/avatariumofficial/videos/vb.231668093638481/798941856911099/?type=3&theater

I really like this up-tempo song. Since it's about a minute shorter than the playing time of studio version, I'm wondering if there's missing a part or if they played it much faster.

Hey guys is the new Pillorian worth the $20 price tag? Been dragging my feet on it. I know it's not that expensive but still, fairly pricey for a new release.

I've got the new Dread Sovereign on the way finally along with some The Devils Blood digibooks.

Did the newest 40 Watt Sun ever see US distribution?

Thoughts on the Memoriam full length? Karl's voice had not aged well. It feels like a Bolt Thrower album in parts but falls short overall on first listen. I will spin it more.

Instrumentally I absolutely love it so far, but yes I definitely agree that Karl's vocals have not aged well. I appreciate that they're keeping him on as he's a legend, but I can't help but feel as if Karl has tarnished what would otherwise be a great record.

It has all the lurking, epic riffing of Bolt Thrower but I hear more modern death metal influences sneaking in too which is cool, rather than just recycling the mighty Bolt Thrower blueprint they're doing something different.

So, three new tracks are available to preview from Cloven Altar's new album. "Streets of Rage" is for me the pick of the litter so far. Sounding very promising.

These are barbaric.

Last edited:
This brand new Mastodon album isn't bad at all. It's the singles that are just offputing, Show Yourself is abominable but the rest of the album is pretty good. I'd say it's better than Once More 'Round the Sun. Clandestiny is a beautiful track, the closer, Jaguar God, is exceptional too. Worth giving a shot.

Reactions: Evil Dead