Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
This movie looks good. For those in Atlanta, its being previewed on Friday at the Fox Theatre. Metalsome Monday is going to be opening for about a 30min set, and a few of their contest winners will be the singers. For those that don't know about Metalsome Monday (http://www.metalsomemonday.com/).

Anyhow, I would go.. but am otherwise occupied. But it probably would be a great time. One of the singers is my Guitar teacher, so I really wish I could go.

Hmm, the flyer I was handed at the Behemoth show says Thursday, 7:30pm, Fox Theater. "One night only, tickets only $10."

A guy from the Fox's PR department contacted me about doing a ticket giveaway on WREKage this past Friday night and I emailed him back, but he didn't get back to me until it was too late...he'd forgotten our show was on Fri night-Sat morning. Duh.

I saw the movie Thursday night. It is AWESOME. Well put together, not "preachy" or "insulting" in any way. Interviews have real substance to them rather than "hey, look who I'm interviewing." The section on Norwegian Black metal was very informative to me because I was unfamiliar with some of the bands and the story behind it.

The basic point of the movie is that metal is as varied and different as it's fans, BUT it is still a unifying power. People who don't understand it probably never will and that's just fine. (paraphrasing the director)

Great footage from Wacken, interviews with Mayhem, Rob Zombie, Bruce Dickinson, Slipknot, Geddy Lee, Slayer, Iommi, Lemmy, Girlschool, and a host of others. The best part about the theater experience was when the entire crowd booed when Tom Morello and Fieldy from Korn came on screen. Classic.

It comes out on DVD May 23rd and I highly recommend it!

The movie is fantastic! I'm SO jealous of this guy though! He got to go to the homes of Ronnie James Dio and Tony Iommi, he interviewed Bruce Dickinson onstage at the Hammersmith Odeon in London and he went to Wacken!!! He does a great job covering the entire spectrum of metal.

Those Norwegian Black Metalers scare the shit out of me!