Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I had no idea what to expect when I popped in this DVD last night. Though there had been a good deal of chatter about this flick, on some of the boards I read, I never followed them.

For starters, given this was a documentary made from a fan's perspective, I was skeptical that this would be some half-assed, fanboy attempt to glorify Metal. However, the guy who made this film is no slouch. Sam Dunn is a 30-year old anthropologist, who wrote his graduate thesis on the plight of Guatemalan refugees. Sam sets out on a global journey to find out why this music has been consistently stereotyped, dismissed and condemned and yet is loved so passionately by its millions of fans. He speaks to Bruce Dickinson, Lemmy, Ronnie James, Geddy Lee and countless others. He also speaks with everyone from academics to a priest in Norway, who lost one of his churches during the 1990s, when Black Metal bands were burning down churches. During his travels he goes to the aforementioned Norway, England, Germany for Wacken, etc. The documentary is quite comprehensive and quite entertaining. I'd highly recommend it to any fan of the genre.

Zod

jimbobhickville said:
Cool. Reading the description about it, I didn't think it was so thorough (it mentioned some hair metal bands and such, so I assumed it was from someone who didn't really know metal at all). I'll have to put it on my netflix queue methinks.
He actually spent a good deal of time on both Death Metal and Norway's Black Metal scene. He spoke to members of Gorgoth, Emperor, Enslaved, Voivod, Canibal Corpse, etc. He also had conversations with Alice Cooper, Tommy Iomi, Vince Niel, Lamb of God, Slipnot, two of the guys from Mayhem, Doro, Angela Glassow (sp?), etc. It really is quite comprehensive.

Zod

EDIT: Oh yeah, he also interviews Slayer and they show clips of them live.

did they talk to some other metal essentials? Like Testament, Exodus, Varg, Mayhem, Death (ex-members), Gorguts?

AsModEe said:
did they talk to some other metal essentials? Like Testament, Exodus, Varg, Mayhem, Death (ex-members), Gorguts?
They spoke to Mayhem. They also spoke to someone who was convicted, along with Varg, and is now free. Keep in mind, the documentary was about Metal as a whole, and not extreme Metal. And I'd say speaking with members of Slayer, Gorgoth, Emperor, Enslaved, Voivod, Canibal Corpse and Mayhem pretty well covered it.

By the way, it's completely possible I'm leaving a few folks out.

Zod

oh cool.. they're still talking to a lot of bands. I'll probably rent it someday

edit: I was afraid they did something like: OKAY OLD BANDS INTERVIEW: MAIDEN, PRIEST, SLAYER, METALLICA

NOW NEW BANDS: SLIPKNOT AND LIMP BIZCUITS LOLZ

AsModEe said:
I was afraid they did something like: OKAY OLD BANDS INTERVIEW: MAIDEN, PRIEST, SLAYER, METALLICA

NOW NEW BANDS: SLIPKNOT AND LIMP BIZCUITS LOLZ
No. The way he cut it works very well. It's not as if you'd only be interested in certain sections of the movie. Also, for the most part, the younger bands come off fairly well. For instance, Lamb of God looks like geniuses compared to Mayhem, who were embarrassingly drunk.

By the way, among other things on the bonus DVD, is a 15 - 20 minute documentary on Norway and its Black Metal scene. Apparently, he received some flack in Norway, regarding how he handled Norwegian Metal. It seems that many were frustrated that much of his focus was on the 90's church burnings, more than the music. In this 20 minutes featurette, he attempts to correct that.

Zod