Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

edgeofthorns said:
I had to move into this genre slowly though, because some of the bands kicked my butt too much at first! :zombie: Once I caught on, I began developing my own taste within this genre of music, which is cool for people to be able to do.

With that said, it's cool to hear how other people got into metal.

I got hooked by osmosis. I was a huge Styx fan in junior high and high school. It turned out that the local radio station that played the most Styx also played Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Dokken, and Queensryche.

Sadly, the station changed to an easy listening format shortly after I left for college. I guess by then it had served its purpose, but it did make me sad for the younger generation in Spokane... :cry:

SavaRon said:
Do you guys mean the ex-marine dude?
Yes. I think because of his age, attitude and the fact that he's a professional, he's someone that many of us can identify with.

EvilGrit said:
This was very cool!! The bonus stuff was great as well.
Agreed. I especially liked how he revisits the Norway Metal scene, after his film caused a bit of controversy.

As an aside, Norway just moved onto my short list of places I'd like to visit. From the footage in this film, it looks like a spectacular place.

Zod

Yeah, it was a pleasant suprise. I usually get a bit cautious when there is anything about metal whether it be a film, tv show, book, etc... But this was well done and while it is not all comprehensive of all of metal, its a good representation of one fan's perspective and insight on metal. The best part about it is that Sam appears to be a passionate metalhead which many of us can relate to.

Thats for sure. Even on the VH1 special Heavy:The history of Metal... There were bands on there that were NOT metal. Didnt contribute to metal and somehow they were topics. I always get concerned when a film is done about Metal. It sounds like this one is good though.

Wow! I just finished watching the 2 DVD's and I really enjoyed the whole thing. Some really good interviews - even with some bands I don't like or don't agree with their views *cough*MayhemGorgoroth*cough*.

I would highly recommend it for anybody that is into metal - or maybe someone that isn't to maybe give them an understanding of the culture.

metropolisimages said:
Thats for sure. Even on the VH1 special Heavy:The history of Metal... There were bands on there that were NOT metal. Didnt contribute to metal and somehow they were topics. I always get concerned when a film is done about Metal. It sounds like this one is good though.

I thought the documentary was pretty good. They really didn't cover the sub genres, but overall, showed it's evolution in mainstream society.

I can relate to the the 30 something and most of the people that attend the PP Experience. Most are professionals who love MUSIC in general. It just happenes to be heavier and more progressive than your average music.

I stroll to PP every year with my buddy, who is quite the introvert and currently working on his PhD at Georgia Tech. Me? I am a homicide detective who gets stared at when I have metal coming from my cubicle while I'm arranging reports. Belive me, we could be farther from the black shirted, leather wearing generality that is a metalhead. Although on call outs in the middle of the night, I am prone to wear my black leather jacket and band tee.

I am a metalhead and proud of it.