metal album reviews, quick and to the point

Cythraul

Dec 10, 2003
Dawn - Nær Solen Gar Nider For Evogher: This monumental work of highly intricate, sophisticated, majestic, and altogether challenging melodic black metal has unfortunately been continually overlooked by many in the metal underground. Well, I'm here to tell you that you're fucking gay and that this album is one of the best, if not the best, examples of melodic black metal ever produced. This sits nicely in my top three or four best Swedish albums ever made (fuck you, Abba). Makes Dissection sound like the Village People.

Woodtemple - Feel the Anger of the Wind: I really hope the guy behind this one man project can someday take his mouth off Rob Darken's cock for at least a moment so he can actually come up with something that doesn't sound like total Graveland worship. Actually, this stuff ain't all that bad. As it stands, there are many inspiring moments to be found on this album in the vein of later Graveland (i.e. "epic pagan black metal", whatever the fuck that means). He justs needs to trim the fat a little and get rid of some of the more plodding, uninspired material.

Frozen Shadows - dans les bras des immortels:
The Canadians are notable for not being notable for anything. Fortunately, Canadians might start becoming notable for making pretty good black metal. The album under consideration here is in the classic Norse style with a nice ice cold blast attack and a majestic atmosphere so thick you could cut it with a knife. Not exactly groundbreaking, but their take on this style is so astute that it's hard not to appreciate.

Dub Buk - Misyac Pomsty: This shit sounds like some Eastern European skinhead stole his little sister's Fisher Price keyboard and then proceeded to cover the soundtrack to the smash hit Super NES title "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past". Now, if you're a rabid NSBMhead you might think that equals awesome. Well I've come to tell you that it doesn't and you may as well lick my hairy beanbag instead of listening to this thing.

Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger: What can I say about this album? How can I even do it justice with words? This shit is beyond words. This goddamn stuff is so icy cold I get goddamn frost bite when I touch the cd. This is like the zen of minimalism right here. These guys wrote the fucking book on icy, minimalistic, necrotic black metal with icy melodies straight out of the icy Scandinavian woods. If you claim to be a true black metal fan and neither enjoy nor own this album you fucking suck and please get out of black metal before you embarrass yourself further.

Darkthrone - Soulside Journey: Darkthrone used to be a death metal band, and a very good one at that. This shit is like old school Scandinavian death metal played by psychotic fucking nihilists from outer space on a progressive trip. If that doesn't sound awesome to you then just go back to your Lil Wayne cd or whatever degenerate garbage you kids are listening to these days.

I couldn't agree more on the band Dawn. Slaughtersun: Crown of the Triarchy is my favorite. And to me, the best melodic black metal album of all time. Yes, I think it's even better than the mighty Dissection album Storm of the Light's Bane. Hell, the singer used to be the vocalist in In Flames.

Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger: What can I say about this album? How can I even do it justice with words? This shit is beyond words. This goddamn stuff is so icy cold I get goddamn frost bite when I touch the cd. This is like the zen of minimalism right here. These guys wrote the fucking book on icy, minimalistic, necrotic black metal with icy melodies straight out of the icy Scandinavian woods. If you claim to be a true black metal fan and neither enjoy nor own this album you fucking suck and please get out of black metal before you embarrass yourself further.

I couldn't agree more..