Metal Archives "Reviewers"

I have said this before and will say it again. If you were not alive to see a good Iron Maiden album released (last one 1988) then you should not be reviewing metal. Don't even talk to me about it.

I wasn't a alive to see their good stuff come out and I review metal all the time and so does everyone else who posts here when they reflect on their opinions because they are opinions after all. There's also metal AFTER Maiden, as well, so even on the professional level, things change. It's a way of life.

halolz-dot-com-pokemon-diglett-comeatmebro.gif

i love watching you two go at it! hahaha, Jeremy how can you expect us to side with you when you make such outlandish (bordering "old fart") statements like that. hahaha, i don't even agree with you.

i love watching you two go at it! hahaha, Jeremy how can you expect us to side with you when you make such outlandish (bordering "old fart") statements like that. hahaha, i don't even agree with you.

I would think you two out of anyone would not only pick up that it is a half hearted joke, but really do you to not realize that I'm well aware that there has been two decades of metal since. Come on you two know that my metal knowledge and tastes expand further than most. So yeah I have no second thoughts about my statements and I think you both do get where I'm coming from. And if I'm not mistaken some of these posts are about young people and their difficulty putting 80s material into proper perspective.
And as you know Justin this is not over yet, I'll see you next month. HAHA

What normal human being in their right mind has the time to write this many reviews?

Um, just want to make sure you're aware that this line comes in the 6th paragraph of a 1000-word meta-review of Metal Archives reviews. I'm not sure what level Dungeon Master that makes you, but it has to be higher than UltraBoris!

I wish I had the motivation to write a higher volume of more permanent texts. :(

Step two: Over intellectualizing metal while making other forms of music out to be inferior. Nothing screams "I'm a virgin" harder and louder than when you use the phrase "sophisticated black metal art" unless you're actually in Emperor and coined the phrase to help sell your record and/or are already with lady friends. You on the other hand, sound like a massive dork for using it.

This doesn't have anything to do with metal. Have you never read Pitchfork, for example?

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/7151-agaetis-byrjun/
http://cookham.blogspot.com/2007_06_13_archive.html
http://www.amazon.com/review/R43DQHFFQD8MA

There are pretentious twats who write about every genre of music.

What the hell does this even mean? Prose should sue your ass for sexual harassment and get a restraining order against you, because you raped it.

While I have no use for reviews like that, I do have a strange respect for them carrying on a long-standing Internet tradition in pretentious metal criticism. That's http://www.a.n.u.s.com/metal/about (stupid censorship!)

Step 3: anything that the reviewer does not understand is automatically not metal.

Lacking metal is derogatory for guys like these. If it's not metal, it's not worth listening to.

The arbitrary rules about what is "metal" enough to be included in Metal Archives seem kind of weird at first, but over time I've come to believe that they're responsible for the tremendous usefulness of the information that is allowed inside. If the site had a broader focus, I don't think it would have nearly the level of completeness that it does. And since the site itself enforces a "metal is the only way" rule, it's not surprising that attitude is shared by its contributors.

Finally, I found the Facebook group you started: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=130065287362 :D

Neil

I would think you two out of anyone would not only pick up that it is a half hearted joke, but really do you to not realize that I'm well aware that there has been two decades of metal since. Come on you two know that my metal knowledge and tastes expand further than most. So yeah I have no second thoughts about my statements and I think you both do get where I'm coming from. And if I'm not mistaken some of these posts are about young people and their difficulty putting 80s material into proper perspective.
And as you know Justin this is not over yet, I'll see you next month. HAHA

when you don't use :) how can i tell :) if it's a joke :) or not :)

you say some crazier stuff sometimes. hahaha.

...deemed them as “non-competitive”, and only left a small group of European fans (Greece and Germany respectively) of Retro-U.S. Metal hailing these albums as solid releases.

1. Count me as one of those "Retro-US Metal" dudes. That second album still freakin rules! - the music, the sound and the FEEL.

2. You can also count me in as one who thinks today's metal discs lack feeling in its production; it makes everything sound generic. The ear can only be tricked so long before it realizes it is being tricked.

3. Are reviews even relevant in today's digital age? Much easier to find a bands new music than a new review.

4. Listen to the original 'The Warning' from Ryche on disc, then listen to the remaster, and try and convince me the latter has more FEELING than the former.

Um, just want to make sure you're aware that this line comes in the 6th paragraph of a 1000-word meta-review of Metal Archives reviews. I'm not sure what level Dungeon Master that makes you, but it has to be higher than UltraBoris!

Remember my step one of identifying a MA dork (I'll give you a hint, it's taking the internet too seriously)? If you really took a goofy took-me-10 minutes-to-type-post with no actual objective resources/facts that was meant to be funny seriously, well... ;)

Also the irony is that I just used one link to ultra boris as one of many examples. I wasn't explicitly referring to him though throughout the whole thing, although I do think he is hysterical.

I have said this for years, I was starting to think it was just one of those "crazy things" I sometimes say.

It's not just Metal... it is almost all music produced since the early 1990's. I blame Macintosh Computers.

And George W. Bush. But that is another story.

As it has become easier to "produce" an album, more people have gotten into it... and the talent pool diluted. True, there is now better equipment and more talented folks using said technology, but there is more STUFF being produced, thus creating static. It was harder to produce an album before 1993ish, so I think the production value was actually "better", given the technology available.

I guess the 1st 2 Boston albums, or anything produced by the Beatles would be my initial exhibits, and listening to Green Day discs (although I like Green Day) would be my comparison on the other end.

Hey - this is my hypothesis, but I haven't been a good Dungeon Master in over 25 years, so I lack street cred.

What I love about reading reviews, is when it's obvious that the reviewer isn't into the type of music that's being presented.

"Those things that you are saying are bad things...are actually good things."

In regards to dungeon mastery:

Anybody wanna game? I'm down.