Metal Archives

I like the reviews of UltraBoris, and I often find I agree with them, so if I see a recomendation in one of his reviews, I usually find I like the band.

His Master of Puppets review is a good read.

High On Maiden said:
I like the reviews of UltraBoris, and I often find I agree with them, so if I see a recomendation in one of his reviews, I usually find I like the band.

His Master of Puppets review is a good read.

Nothing short from the truth either. Ever since my first listen to that album i've thought of it as complete shit.

I also write reviews for the site, but I haven't written any in a while. I now use a standardized paragraph format for my reviews - my first paragraph will be an overview of the band's career or sound, then I have other paragraphs in there called "The Highlights", "The Lowlights", "Who This Album's For", and "The Bottom Line". These paragraphs are fairly self-explanatory as to what I put into them. Also, I've been trying to post reviews for albums that don't have a lot of reviews already written for them. I post reviews there under the name I use for most other messageboards I post at, which is panteramdeth.

You can also find some of the reviews I've written for that site on my website, which is located at www.geocities.com/panteramdeth (Alex Farley's Lair). I haven't been writing many reviews for that site lately, and I still have some reviews at my site that could use a little touch-up and editing. I should also write some more reviews for some of the power and progressive metal albums I've bought over the past year.

I used to submit reviews (as The Ghost of Room237) all the time. But in the last year or so I really haven't been inspired to write much. Besides, most of my reviews were accepted in the early days when the standards were quite low. For that reason, I think all of them got through; although some have been deleted recently, and rightly so. I remember thinking, back then, that people would be bored by my longer reviews, and so I submitted quite a few that were one paragraph, basic description, and mostly promotion. I'm not proud of those reviews, but they aren't representative of my style at all.

I can't help but giggle at all the blokes that complain endlessly about having their reviews rejected. As a reader, I like Boris, Vic, Vilerancour, and Sarcophobic aint bad either. All are better than me, incidently. There are some other names that shit all over my reviews but I can't name them all, would take too long.

ShadowOfDeath said:
Nothing short from the truth either. Ever since my first listen to that album i've thought of it as complete shit.
Actually UltraBorris thought the album was musically medicore, but it was the influence it had on music that made it such an abomination.

The Metal Major said:
I used to submit reviews (as The Ghost of Room237) all the time. But in the last year or so I really haven't been inspired to write much. Besides, most of my reviews were accepted in the early days when the standards were quite low. For that reason, I think all of them got through; although some have been deleted recently, and rightly so. I remember thinking, back then, that people would be bored by my longer reviews, and so I submitted quite a few that were one paragraph, basic description, and mostly promotion. I'm not proud of those reviews, but they aren't representative of my style at all.

I can't help but giggle at all the blokes that complain endlessly about having their reviews rejected. As a reader, I like Boris, Vic, Vilerancour, and Sarcophobic aint bad either. All are better than me, incidently. There are some other names that shit all over my reviews but I can't name them all, would take too long.

Your reviews are really good.

Yeah, Metal Major, I find your extreme metal reviews to be quite good. Was it you who gave In the Nightside Eclipse a 62% or something? Other than that, pretty good.

As for the MoP thing, I have mixed feelings, as that was my first real metal album, and perhaps the riffs are mostly stolen, but I didn't know any better. I haven't listened to that in years. I think that review is definitely required, or at least recommended reading, for any metal fan.

Some of Ghost/Major's earlier reviews suck without doubt, and he knows it. His better ones are some of the best on the site (better than mine incidentally, but thanks for the praise ;)), and his taste is also very good.

I think Boris writes well-written, entertaining reviews, though they often lack in substance. That MoP one was classic, though.

MasterOLightning said:
Yeah, Metal Major, I find your extreme metal reviews to be quite good. Was it you who gave In the Nightside Eclipse a 62% or something? Other than that, pretty good.

As for the MoP thing, I have mixed feelings, as that was my first real metal album, and perhaps the riffs are mostly stolen, but I didn't know any better. I haven't listened to that in years. I think that review is definitely required, or at least recommended reading, for any metal fan.

I never liked Emperor much, but I need to re-evaluate that review, I'm sure. But I honestly have no interest in doing so. Feel free to bug a mod to delete it if you wish.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Some of Ghost/Major's earlier reviews suck without doubt, and he knows it. His better ones are some of the best on the site (better than mine incidentally, but thanks for the praise ;)), and his taste is also very good.

I think Boris writes well-written, entertaining reviews, though they often lack in substance. That MoP one was classic, though.

I have two sides to my musical tastes: art and entertainment. If I want to hear great art, I don't read Boris. But I'm pretty sure that an album he rates 88% or more will at least make me smile.