Metal becoming hip?

Now that Overlorde has been on MySpace these past four months, I definitely see an upswing among teenagers in the USA. I was amazed how many teens were into metal. Including females. Even females with pictures of themselves with swords, etc (one example being a member of the Progpower forum, Empress).

I think it may well be a mix of the following :

1) Todays teens are the children of the headbangers who powered the 80’s metal scene and are growing up exposed to the “classic” style of metal.
2) The popularity the LORD OF THE RINGS movies. After all, what genres of music sing about this type of fantasy? Basically, only the “classic” metal related subgenres of Power, Prog, etc.
3) The renewed touring and new releases of such veterans as Maiden, Priest, Megadeth, etc. Especially the touring. These bands put on great shows.

Regardless of why, another thing must surely be the internet and specifically broadband. As more and more parents get broadband, their kids are hearing more and more music online and seeing metal videos they could never see before. Specifically via MySpace and MySpace music. Metalheads are hooking up with each other much more easily. Now it doesn’t matter that you might be the only metal teen in your school, now you can hook up and meet others at MySpace. And of course hear metal bands. This kind of exchange just leads to more teens being introduced because of the buzz.

Of course the efforts of everyone to keep a scene going through these past years cannot be overlooked either (nods to Glenn & the staff).

As a side note, Skully of the band SEASONS OF THE WOLF, a band that self releases on their own label, even commented to me a few months back that things are picking up so much for them among USA teens that they are moving some of their marketing away from Europe to the US.

Anyway, that’s my take.

I've noticed a lot of the mall rats here in Johnson City wear Motley Crue, G&R, and Iron Maiden shirts. I seriously doubt any of them know who DT and Symphony X are though.

I believe the 80s hard rock/glam metal bands are a fad with the kids right now.

I predict some 3 piece, music corporate guru will come across some hard rock/metal band and attempt to push them into the main stream. I do think that the metal music scene will lean toward the traditional metal sounds that we all like. I'm curious to see what will happen withing the next five years!

edgeofthorns said:
You know I hear alot about this band, but I have no idea what they sing!
It isn't as much what they sing as it is how they sing. It's just funny. Not exactly Hayseed Dixie funny, but OK.

Joe

I hope metal becomes 'hip' and 'mainstream'.. but I hope the metal itself doesn't become mainstream, if that makes any sense.

I hope my favorite bands become huge and get the money they deserve for making such great music. but I hope these same bands don't change the way they make their music in order to achieve that.

in recap:

Sell out the stadiums... don't sell out the music.