Metal Camp 2008

Who would you prefer to schtoop?

• Total voters
Legion of the Damned are good. Similar sort of style to D666. Their new album Sons of the Jackal is the better of the two.

Line-up still isn't doing much for me. Looks like I'll be going back to Wacken this year.

I'm still in. Judging by last year's roster, and given that this festival grows each year, I suspect they've yet to sign most of the heavy hitters.

Primordial would make this a slam dunk. Primordial and Nevermore would be amazing. Neither played there last year, both should be in touring mode by then.

Zod

Doesn't it figure though? Wacken's lineup is already incredible for next year. So much so that I seriously might consider going back in addition to Metal Camp (keep the faith Brian).

I'm in shock at how piss poor Metal Camp's lineup is so far but I also believe they'll add enough quality acts to at least be somewhat worthwhile. If it weren't for the "impossible to not have a good time" setting and of course your commitment to that particular fest I would've already bailed out. As of now I'm still committed though, so it's cool. That said, it may come to a point that we could always say "Let's do this in 2009 when the lineup can't possibly be as bad".

Jason

"Let's do this in 2009 when the lineup can't possibly be as bad".

Jason

Let's seriously wait to see how the cards unfold. I still am committed to the overseas RC fest gathering. But lets use our heads. If Wacken signs Primordial and Negura Bunget, I'm not going to be stuck in Slovenia watching Hertz. :erk:

I'm in shock at how piss poor Metal Camp's lineup is so far but I also believe they'll add enough quality acts to at least be somewhat worthwhile. If it weren't for the "impossible to not have a good time" setting and of course your commitment to that particular fest I would've already bailed out. As of now I'm still committed though, so it's cool. That said, it may come to a point that we could always say "Let's do this in 2009 when the lineup can't possibly be as bad".
Well... I would say a few things. First, let's give it till year's end and see where we're at. If the line up sucks, I suspect much of RC will bail. At that point, if we don't have an RC contingent and it's a crappy line-up, why bother? As you said, there's always 2009.

Wacken would have to put together an insane line-up and draw a huge RC contingent for me to reconsider. As it stands now, Wacken's line-up is as follows:

IRON MAIDEN (headliners)
CARCASS
HATEBREED
CHILDREN OF BODOM
AVANTASIA
KREATOR
SONATA ARCTICA
SALTATIO MORTIS
THE BONESIron Maiden will play half a dozen places within driving distance of me over the course of the next 8 months. So for me, they would be more of a bonus than a reason to go. Kreator will be around in April. I could care less about the rest.

Zod

Well... I would say a few things. First, let's give it till year's end and see where we're at. If the line up sucks, I suspect much of RC will bail. At that point, if we don't have an RC contingent and it's a crappy line-up, why bother? As you said, there's always 2009.

Yep - that's pretty much what my strategy would've been. Plus, right now only you, me, Jerry and Mike were "committed", with a bunch of RC'ers on the fence who I suspect will forever remain there. Absolutely though, I have no problem waiting until the start of the new year.

Zod said:
Wacken would have to put together an insane line-up and draw a huge RC contingent for me to reconsider.

Keep in mind, I'd never even consider trying to get you to go unless you showed interest first - I 100% respect your feelings on this.

Zod said:
As it stands now, Wacken's line-up is as follows:

IRON MAIDEN (headliners)
CARCASS
AVANTASIA
KREATOR
AT THE GATES reunion (you missed them, announced today)

Those five right there rock so far.

Zod said:
Iron Maiden will play half a dozen places within driving distance of me over the course of the next 8 months. So for me, they would be more of a bonus than a reason to go.

I agree with this as I indicated before - and I fully expect to travel up to the NYC area to see them when they come over. Again though - I think the Wacken show has the potential to be one of their all time best given the setting and their propensity to play longer sets at Euro headlining shows.

Zod said:
Kreator will be around in April. I could care less about the rest.

Kreator, much like Testament, absolutely slay the capacity crowds. Again, I'd be more excited about them in Wacken then you would be.

Today's announcement of At the Gates has also really forced me to think hard about going (without ever so much as suggesting it to you unless you bring up the idea first, I promise).

Jason

Keep in mind, I'd never even consider trying to get you to go unless you showed interest first - I 100% respect your feelings on this.
Not at all. I was just stating where my head is at, in respect to that festival.

Today's announcement of At the Gates...
I was late to this party and don't really feel like I missed much. I like the first few songs off Slaughter of the Soul, but other than that, pass.

Zod

Not at all. I was just stating where my head is at, in respect to that festival.

Cool - either way I hope we get to vacation together in some capacity next year under much better circumstances than this year. (aside from short festivals like PP or HC - which are always a blast as well)

Zod said:
I was late to this party and don't really feel like I missed much. I like the first few songs off Slaughter of the Soul, but other than that, pass.

Wow really? To each their own as always of course, but man I was stoked when I saw the announcement. Absolutely one of my favorite melodic death/thrash bands of all time.

Just to put it into context, if 20,000 people are at Metal Camp, approximately 5,000 of those are standing at the stage at any given time. Trust me when I say, most people do not go to Metal Camp for the lineup. I'm fairly certain the vast majority of people don't even bother checking the roster -- other than those who post at their forum perhaps.

Do not go to Metal Camp and miss out on the rest of the country, the Italian coast line, the Austrian alps -- all within 2 hours driving distance. Going to Wacken and not seeing Hamburg is no big deal.

IRON MAIDEN (headliners)
CARCASS
AVANTASIA
KREATOR
AT THE GATES reunion (you missed them, announced today)

Based purely on line up alone, that would seal the deal right there. :kickass:

Well folks let's not give up on Metal Camp just yet. All I am asking for is 1-2 phenomenal bands. Though their organizer's taste in music is rather suspect.

yeah, last year they were signing up metalcore shit which many people complained about on the forum. But then when those bands took to the stage, people just went off and smoked in the hills. :D

The way we looked at it, Metal Camp was an added bonus to a small trip around East Europe.

Just to put it into context, if 20,000 people are at Metal Camp, approximately 5,000 of those are standing at the stage at any given time. Trust me when I say, most people do not go to Metal Camp for the lineup. I'm fairly certain the vast majority of people don't even bother checking the roster -- other than those who post at their forum perhaps.

Understood - but if there's absolutely no redemption to the lineup that's already been announced, it would make more sense to experience it in 2009 or beyond when the lineup is at least halfway decent (acknowledging that there's still plenty of time for cool bands to be announced for 2008 of course).

JK said:
Do not go to Metal Camp and miss out on the rest of the country, the Italian coast line, the Austrian alps -- all within 2 hours driving distance..

Absolutely - my past experience with the Austrian/southeast German alps was nothing short of amazing.

JK said:
Based purely on line up alone, that would seal the deal right there. :kickass:

Yep - and there's like 60 or so bands left to announce. :kickass:

the headliners last year with bands like Immortal & Blind Guardian, etc were announced really late last year if I remember correctly. I'm fairly certain they were announcing bands up to a month before the fest!

again, it's a tough one because we were going either way last year since it was the last few days leading up to Amman's wedding. it really didn't matter who they announced since we had no other festival to choose from -- it's really pure coincidence that it turned out to be the 'hippy pagan' gathering that it was.

Metal Camp is like the woodstock of metal fests I suppose.

the headliners last year with bands like Immortal & Blind Guardian, etc were announced really late last year if I remember correctly. I'm fairly certain they were announcing bands up to a month before the fest!

Is that right? Well, even if they do end up announcing great bands in May next year, that's way too late for me. Common sense should tell the promoters not to wait that long for at least some of the "larger" acts.

JK said:
again, it's a tough one because we were going either way last year since it was the last few days leading up to Amman's wedding. it really didn't matter who they announced since we had no other festival to choose from -- it's really pure coincidence that it turned out to be the 'hippy pagan' gathering that it was.

If the lineup is at least somewhat decent, I'm there. But there has to be at least something positive to fan the flames.

guys -- I suggest you do it the other way around. Go because you want to see East Europe first and foremost and then plan your visit during the same time as Metal Camp. Conversely, go to Wacken because of the line up and not because of the surrounding neighborhoods.