Metal Church is no more...

That's cool.
It's music, it's entertainment.
If you like it, that's what matters.

I guess one might have to think.
Would a "new" band featuring Ronnie and ex-members of Metal Church be better received than carrying on the name Metal Church? I suppose it's a double-edged sword, right?

Not getting on the "thrash the current version of the band because they aren't the first or second version of the band" boat. All I can say is, saw them once, about 5-6 years ago, and they nearly blew the roof off the place. Great band, period.

That's cool.
It's music, it's entertainment.
If you like it, that's what matters.

I guess one might have to think.
Would a "new" band featuring Ronnie and ex-members of Metal Church be better received than carrying on the name Metal Church? I suppose it's a double-edged sword, right?

Isn't this the same question Zod is asking in the Alice In Chains thread? Should Jerry Cantrell call the band something else and see how it's received?

I guess most bands feel like starting over like that could be hazardous to their career and so they believe it's a whole lot easier to just use the already known name and continue on.

I've been a fan of MC for 20 years, and had never gotten to see them live, ever. Until this past Thursday when we played at Rocklahoma, I forced the rest of the band upon pain of death (and whining on the entire drive back to Atlanta after the fest) to get me there early enough to see them.....I missed Fake Healer which was their intro song, but I heard it as I ran across the field like a little girl getting to their set. So, after all that time wanting to see them, I see their last show.....

Anyway, Ronny Munroe did a great job, they tore it up....did these songs as best I can remember:

Fake Healer
Ton Of Bricks
Start The Fire
Beyond The Black
Gods Of Wrath
Badlands
Mirror Of Lies
Highway Star

They ruled....sad to see them go. I like the Howe era the best - but they're all cool.

Man, I think I like the Mike Howe era more than the Wayne ere. Sure, there were some killer tunes off of MC and The Dark, but to me, the 3 Howe CD's were what Metal Church was all about. This may be heresy to some, but I think Blessing in Disguise was their best CD.

QFT. I love Badlands.

\m/
RonCK

The Howe-era is my fave as well. I confess to not making the time to check out the Munroe era albums, so I may have to correct that at some point. But, for now, give me Blessing In Disguise, The Human Factor and Hanging In The Balance (underrated, IMO)...of course the Wayne era is classic, but like I said, I prefer Howe-era METAL CHURCH...

Isn't this the same question Zod is asking in the Alice In Chains thread? Should Jerry Cantrell call the band something else and see how it's received?

That's a tough one, as AIC had so much commercial success.

It's not an easy decision, underground band or not.

As I said, a double-edged sword.

It's especially hard for bands who lose a vocalist.

Most know, I am a big TROUBLE-head.

It has been a hard pill to swallow having Eric Wagner out of the band.

Vocals are the main thing audiences generally indentify the band with...that voice is a large part of how a band is "supposed to sound" to many people. The cries of "it's not (band) without (singer)" can be heard for miles when a popular/well loved band carries on with a replacement singer. I usually can roll with the changes on stuff like this (ICED EARTH, METAL CHURCH, JOURNEY, JUDAS PRIEST, ALICE IN CHAINS, VAN HALEN, etc)...but I admit that if one of my all time favorite bands changed singers at this point in the game (KING'S X, U2, DREAM THEATER and a couple others) I'd be terribly disappointed and be saying the same thing.

I said this somewhere else, can't remember where, but people want bands to sound how they expect them to sound based on their favorite era...it's human nature to want what we want and be resistant to anything else...but the fact is that bands change, tastes change, people change and no matter how we may cry "it's not (band) without (singer)" the fact of the matter is that is IS (band) with a new singer whether we like it or not.

I said this somewhere else, can't remember where, but people want bands to sound how they expect them to sound based on their favorite era...it's human nature to want what we want and be resistant to anything else...but the fact is that bands change, tastes change, people change and no matter how we may cry "it's not (band) without (singer)" the fact of the matter is that is IS (band) with a new singer whether we like it or not.

I feel this way about Metallica.James Hetfield sounds nothing like his "old thrash self" anymore.I miss the Master and Ride days soooooo bad........

My issue with MC after Wayne is the sound itself seemed to change. The guitars had an edge to them that disappeared after The Dark. Maybe it was more of a raw mix...but the band seemed to adopt a more polished sound & that didn't seem like MC at all.

My issue with MC after Wayne is the sound itself seemed to change. The guitars had an edge to them that disappeared after The Dark. Maybe it was more of a raw mix...but the band seemed to adopt a more polished sound & that didn't seem like MC at all.

I chalk this up to evolving studio/recording technology. In the time between the first album and BID, the technology surely improved/changed. I don't think it was anything they "did", per se...the albums were just recorded differently.

It was a real treat to see them live for thier farewell. I am actually one of the few who like Masterpeace and would've like to hear some of those songs, but what can you do? I think the best album by far was Blessing in disguise due to it's commercial production qualities. I also like A Light In the Dark , by far the strongest of the Ronnie Munroe era stuff. Ronnie hopefully will find some success with his solo band, he is a real talented vocalist.

Hell, I don't think the rawness found on Human Factor is matched anywhere in the catalog. By raw I mean abrasive, fiery, etc. not primitive...maybe that's what you're hearing different than I do.

I chalk this up to evolving studio/recording technology. In the time between the first album and BID, the technology surely improved/changed. I don't think it was anything they "did", per se...the albums were just recorded differently.

That may be the case...although there were bands around the same time that were doing "clean & polished" work. Just seemed like the 1st 2 had an edge that they lost after Wayne left...less over the top. l think some bands do this to accomodate a singer with a different style...especially one with a weaker delivery.