David Wayne formerly of Metal Church dies... R.I.P.

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
Original METAL CHURCH frontman David Wayne has passed away. According to the webmaster of the David Wayne's Metal Church web site, "we are unclear as to actually what happened. We are putting together an official press release and will post that out as soon as we get it done."

Wayne sang on METAL CHURCH's first two classic offerings (1984's "Metal Church" and 1986's "The Dark") before leaving the group and being replaced by Mike Howe. Wayne subsequently teamed up with members of HERETIC members to form REVEREND, with whom he released two full-length albums and a couple of EPs. He eventually rejoined METAL CHURCH in time for the 1999 reunion album, "Masterpeace". A "solo" album (under the WAYNE banner), entitled "Metal Church" followed in 2001.
----

Sad news indeed. A great fucking singer. The first two Metal Church albums are legendary. Wayne will be missed. R.I.P. brother.

David Wayne was awesome! It's horrible that he died at such a young age. I was hoping to hear something new from him, as the last (and only) release with Wayne was rather good. I wish his family the best in this time of grief.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Hey guys! Let's all pray for Wayne's family in this horribly tragic time of grief and sorrow together, because praying is fucking METAL! METAL BROTHERS UNITE IN PRAYERS!

I was a huge Metal Church fan. Though I prwefer the Howe era, Wayne was an excellent vocalist in his own right. He will be missed. He was a metal icon. My prayers go out to his family, friends and the metal world for such a tragic loss.

Bryant

This is a lot like the Chuck Schuldiner (Death) situation. My friend is producing the forthcoming Metal Church DVD "Beyond The Black". He interviewed Wayne just days before his death. When he returned to Las Vegas, he told me that Wayne had been involved in a bad car accident months before, and yet failed to heal properly because he couldn't get the necessary medical treatment due to lack of insurance; the hospital literally bandaged him and sent him home. This will go down, it seems, as being caused by a severe infection. With Schuldiner, another prominent (but not wealthy) musician who died of a brain tumor, he could have been saved as well if given the necessary operation, but hospitals refused to help without the necessary insurance. I don't want to start another political rant on a music forum, but this is a particularly timely debate if you're watching the news. With all the discussion about illegal aliens entering our country and getting free medical treatment with no questions asked about their residency status, it's CRIMINAL that tax paying American citizens are turned away and allowed to DIE from medical maladies that can be treated and/or cured. Something to think about next time you go to vote. Last count: over 1 BILLION tax dollars spent annually to take care of the medical expenses of those who were not supposed to be here in the first place. Many times the amount of money necessary to cover proper treatment costs for both Wayne and Schuldiner.

*raises frosty frothing mug in memory of the 'Reverend'*

I too am a fan of the old Metal Church days with Wayne at the helm. And I am saddened I never had the opportunity to see him perform live.

"we watch the children pray..."