metal 'clubs'

evolutions_end

now with extra avatar!
Sep 1, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
so the saturday night just gone, i decided to tag along to a nightclub my mates frequent here in melbourne. It goes by the name of 'bang'. any other melbournians familiar with it?
ANYWAY they decided to take me into the 'metal room'. here i am thinking its gunna be a bar/pub with a whole lot of blokes listening to judas preist. how i wish it was that. it was like a private function room where the DJ had his own little booth. lights were set up, kinda cool, did the job and set the affect. anyway im hanging around in there for a few hours wating to hear some 'metal'. I get linkin park. disturbed. muderdolls. hatebreed. metallica. BLINK 182! bullet for my valentine, Killswitch, deftones, h.i.m.

at the end of each DJ's set i walked up to him and said 'whats the go with metal? why did you only play 3/4 of master of puppets? all that other garbage isnt metal'. he asked me how old i was, to which i replied 21 (which i am). he persisted to tell me how i wouldnt know what real metal was if it hit me in the face. at this point, i nearly hit HIM in the face.

he told me that he has to cater for the majority of poeple, whih were aged between 18 (legal drinking age) and 25. thats all well and good, but what abou the 20 odd bikies sitting in the corner? what about some gunners for them? he told me to email him with a list of bands he thinks he should spin a bit more. im not going to prattle off the list, but it varies from black sabbath, to testament, to hatesphere, chimaira, mnemic, arch enemy, sonata artica, ect. play a more DIVERSE range of metal. not just nu-metal.

anyway im blabbering. Has anyone else been to metal clubs around their area and come across 'false advertising'? im just really, really, really pissed off.

Yeah, pick up a copy of Beat magazine and check out the photo's of our "metal" clubs. I think Switch is another one of those. There's probably another one. Revolver rings a bell, but I've never been or seen photos. I know some decent bands play there.

Last decent metal club I knew of was Ragnarok at Insignia (corner King and Flnders St). Thursday nights though. There's also DV8 at CBD nightclub on Saturdays, if it's still going, which could be ok, I only ever went there once and it was to see a band.
Actually, the best club I went to was Back in the day, 2 years ago. I should go back there.
I mainly stick to gigs. I've been loving going to the Central Club in Richmond lately. Great bands and decent equipment and vibe.

yeah i was in this club the other night that advertises thursday night as metal night but they where playing all this indie shit, although the last time i was there they where playing everything from scorpions to dimmu so i guess it probally just varies bassed on the dj an what the crowd looks like ie. long hair an metal shirts or slicked up lookin pansies.

Wow...that sucks..most bars in pittsburgh play alot of that lame stuff but just call it like "rock/alternative night".

Theres a really cool bar in Pittsburgh called the Smiling Moose...it's basically a metal/punk bar. I remember the first time walking in and hearing Carcass blasting on the jukebox thinking "ok..this place can't be bad".

Every thursday they have metal night at the upstairs and they play all of the classic metal stuff on Vinyl. They mostly play old thrash but they do have some newer records. Your more likely to hear DiamondHead, Sabbat, Metal Church, Grim Reaper, etc. though.

The bartender is a cool chick who's old band actually toured with Sadus..so always something funny to talk about when your there.

oh yeah getting drunk is pretty cool too!

the more metal (thus the louder)

Oy - that's like the attitude some mullet-sporting biker with a black label society back patch on his denim vest would have. In other words, not the kind of metal I enjoy, and I'd actually rather go to a bar with totally shitty pop music than one with like BLS, Metallica, Guns 'n Roses, etc. because I hate being associated with "that" type of metalhead (the "louder faster harder" low-life variety).

Oy - that's like the attitude some mullet-sporting biker with a black label society back patch on his denim vest would have. In other words, not the kind of metal I enjoy, and I'd actually rather go to a bar with totally shitty pop music than one with like BLS, Metallica, Guns 'n Roses, etc. because I hate being associated with "that" type of metalhead (the "louder faster harder" low-life variety).

Well there are allot of biker types there lol. But they play bathory ALLOT enough to get tiresome of it.

And i HATE the powermetal sing allongs haha most of the time i am way to drunk to refuse:cry:

I don't think I'd want to go to a metal club.

I generally don't like most metalheads - find them to be really stupid, immature, unclean kids with an affinity for violence.

When I think of a 'club,' I think of girls and alcohol - almost a sure thing to be listening to rap or techno or something given that combo.

most bars in general suck. if there's no band, what in the hell are you supposed to do? drink an expensive beer and look around, whoo hoo. talk to people that you wouln't normally give a crap about. lust for chicks that look better in the dark than the light. suffer through crappy music.

there's only one type of good bar. OK two. one that has a good metal bands, and one where the women strip.

most bars in general suck. if there's no band, what in the hell are you supposed to do? drink an expensive beer and look around, whoo hoo. talk to people that you wouln't normally give a crap about. lust for chicks that look better in the dark than the light. suffer through crappy music.

there's only one type of good bar. OK two. one that has a good metal bands, and one where the women strip.

But dont strip clubs offer lusting for chicks that look better in the dark than the light, crappy music, and expensive beer?

I visit Greece every couple years and one of the best parts every time is finding a metal bar, listening to Maiden, smoking, and drinking. We just don't have that in the States. You don't have a beer at a bar and all of the sudden In Flames or Iced Earth comes on. It's fkn awesome.

And DSS3, I don't know if you've been to Europe, but in my experience I've found that less of the metalheads there are the trashy type you are referring to. I think in Socal, for some reason, the scene might even be a little worse than the rest of the states in that regard. $0.02

But dont strip clubs offer lusting for chicks that look better in the dark than the light, crappy music, and expensive beer?

well, yeah. but you get to see their goods right off the bat - that makes up for it! but I don't go often, cause it is a money pit.

And DSS3, I don't know if you've been to Europe, but in my experience I've found that less of the metalheads there are the trashy type you are referring to. I think in Socal, for some reason, the scene might even be a little worse than the rest of the states in that regard. $0.02

No shit? I hate the metalheads here - either they're only into 'true metal' (AKA nothing recorded after 1990), actually into hardcore, and not metal, or they're into metal, but are completely retarded, immature, inconsiderate douchebags with, again, a strange affinity for violence.

That said, I'll be in Germany for the month of July - hopefully I can come back with some hope for the masses who listen to metal.

Well hey, that's why I love this forum man - so many of my peers who say the listen to "metal" wet themselves over Dragonforce, Lamb of God, Unearth, etc., and you guys prove that there's hope yet in the world

No shit? I hate the metalheads here - either they're only into 'true metal' (AKA nothing recorded after 1990), actually into hardcore, and not metal, or they're into metal, but are completely retarded, immature, inconsiderate douchebags with, again, a strange affinity for violence.

That said, I'll be in Germany for the month of July - hopefully I can come back with some hope for the masses who listen to metal.

I've been to a load of concerts/festivals over here europe, and never have been able to witness any kind of true violence. There is hardly any kind of security service on the bigger european festivals.

Although sometimes stuff can burn on campings festivals :)

All the metal heads I know are very peacefull guys. And I am not the kind of guy "only preaching for metal guy".

Is the Lost Horizon still open? Played there alot, and the Wolf St Inn

I used to live in that area and went to the Lost Horizon for shows all the time in the late '80's. Great place, great memories, so many great thrash bands:
Overkill
Flotsam & Jetsam
M.O.D.
Testament
Vio-lence
Voivod
Kreator
King Diamond
Exodus
Anthrax
Metal Church
D.R.I.