Metal concert shirt rules

Mar 4, 2002
Something on my mind this weekend after seeing Iced Earth. A majority of the people there were wearing Iced Earth shirts. I'm aware of the unwritten [or maybe it is written somewhere] rule that you're not supposed to wear the shirt of the band you're seeing, I was just curious to hear from you all if you follow this rule or if you've noticed a pattern one way or the other when going to shows. Is this something that mostly old-schoolers do or care about?

As a quick aside, I actually went so I could check out one of the opening bands Trivium. I've pimped them on here before, but I just wanted to say that they kicked ass and were super cool. Got some pics taken with them and had my CD signed. Give em a listen when you have the chance.

Beyond The Embrace were great too. I'm finally getting some good shows to go to down here. (Shadows Fall in August, Anthrax in my prayers...)

I'd wear a band shirt if it was a radio show or maybe even Ozzfest. Something like a big package show. To represent who I'm there for. But other than that, who really cares?

It doesn't matter to me. If you love the band, represent. I'm there to see the band, I could care less what people are wearing. Its about music, not fashion.

I have been to too many concerts since the early 80's to care about stupid rules. I will wear whatever shirt I want most likely not the band performing that night unless it is a big festival type show. I will wear them tucked in if that is how I choose as I like my belts as I am not going to get all rap baggy on you. Plus, I don't want to look like the typical metal slob with my shirt all hanging out :puke: :rolleyes:

tattooedsean666 said:
I have been to too many concerts since the early 80's to care about stupid rules. I will wear whatever shirt I want most likely not the band performing that night unless it is a big festival type show. I will wear them tucked in if that is how I choose as I like my belts as I am not going to get all rap baggy on you. Plus, I don't want to look like the typical metal slob with my shirt all hanging out :puke: :rolleyes:

Oh, I always tuck my shirts in, I'm talking about the guy with his pants up to his chest, a black braided belt, and white MacGregor shoes.

u guys have some wierd thoughts,i think there is nothing better than 90 percent of the crowd wearing the shirt of the band that they are seeing,and in australia it is the case in every gig i have been to!!!

to go on the so called rule is just so trihard,(look at me i'm different)what a load of bullshit.)

I am always "That Guy" at an Anthrax concert, and always will be. I see nothing wrong with it. Charlie has comented on a few of the shirts I have had on at diffrent shows. i like showing off the collection.

Not really...in fact I have very few bands t-shirts. My fave is The Misfits one coz I got it from the Jerry Only himself.

johnnieCzech said:
Not really...in fact I have very few bands t-shirts. My fave is The Misfits one coz I got it from the Jerry Only himself.

I used to buy a lot of concert t-shirts when I was young, dumb, and naive. But hell, I never wear 'em. I wear a shirt and tie to work everyday for Christs sake. Then, look at the price of concert shirts. For $35 bucks I can get a few items at a nice store like Aeropostle or Old Navy. Also, consider the bands I see: Slayer, SJR, and Anthrax w/ Pentagrams? Yeah, those shirts will go over nicely at church or at the local BW3's. :rolleyes: Basicallly, I'll buy an Anthrax tour shirt and a KISS tour shirt to archive in my collection, and that is about it.

Yeah, I almost bought a Rush shirt, but I decided they weren't worth $30. I'll get one online and onsale from Rush's official site from a past tour or album. I didn't buy a $35 Iron Maiden shirt last year either, but that was a nice Armored Saint shirt you wore to the show...