metal guitar advice?

Haven't tried the X2ns but the Duncan Invaders work pretty well also. And pretty much everyone is right when they said its not the guitar that matters, it's the skill of the player. Stevie Ray Vaughan could pick up a cheap $100 Fender Mexico strat and make it sound just as good as his custom shop SRV Fender. I have an Ibanez RG321 but I really really want to get the Ibanez RGT3120 :headbang: :
519556.jpg

I'm sure I heard someone say that Ibanezes are big and bulky and really aren't good for metal, but that couldn't be more wrong... Ibanezes are actually rather light when compared with other guitars. Dino Cazares used a custom ibanez 7-string while he was with Fear Factory and it sounded like the epitome of the metal sound. BC Riches are the ones that are rather cheaply made unless it is a custom shop. It felt like I was playing cardboard when I tried one out in the shop last year, because the tone was pretty much nonexistent.

Just to play devil's advocate on the "shredder" guitars, a buddy of mine had a Carvin "Ultra V" (I think was what it was called) and though I really have to try a guitar before I buy it, I could not have been more impressed by the quality, sound and looks of that Carvin. Don't get me wrong, the Carvin was around $850 (best I remember) so I'm not talking about a "budget" guitar by any means, but itwas neck-thru body, Floyd Rose, 24 frets and a hard-shell case for that $850. That was probably the "best" shredder guitar for the money I have ever played. The guy who had it lost it in a pawn shop. I wish he would have let me know about it, or I would have the thing.

Bryant

*nods*

To take the devil's advocate thing further - take Yngwie for example. He plays a 22-fret fender strat with high string action and an all-out scalloped fretboard (which in itself does *not* help faster playing). The pickups he use (DiMarzio HS3 & YJM) are not typical metal pickups either (although I imagine they make a big difference compared to stock Fender singlecoils).

'bane

Carvins are great guitars. And they make them cheap, which is also a good thing. I would have a couple of them myself if it wasn't so damn expensive to have them shipped from the US to Europe, and then paying for customs fees. Truly mazing instruments.

Oh, and Ygwie played 21 fret guitars last time I checked. :) I think he's pretty much a vintage freak. I can't imagine some of the tones he has recorded coming out of a 70's Super Lead...

Sunbane said:
*nods*

To take the devil's advocate thing further - take Yngwie for example. He plays a 22-fret fender strat with high string action and an all-out scalloped fretboard (which in itself does *not* help faster playing). The pickups he use (DiMarzio HS3 & YJM) are not typical metal pickups either (although I imagine they make a big difference compared to stock Fender singlecoils).

'bane
Very true. Some of Yngwie's guitars date back to the lates 50's. I don't even own a guitar with a single coil in the bridge, but it works for him. Over the years I have grown tired of Yngwie as he has not reinvented himself in any shape or form and sounds old and tired to me. However if you look at what he did back in '83 or so it's still really about as technical and fast as anything out there today. Maybe I am just "way out of" the modern shredding style, but after Yngwie came along, guitar as far as speed and the neo-classical technique seemed to slow to a crawl.

Bryant