Metal Hammer Dimebag Tribute disc

MotorheadMadman

The One - Orgasmatron
Feb 19, 2008
Hatfield UK
Just got home and whacked it in the disc drive. Zakk Wylde does what you expect him to do - vocals sounding a bit too much like Ozzy, and goes a bit over the top with the solo. Machine Head - I have to say I thought their live version was good, but I'm dissappointed with the studio version - FWOOOAAAAAK! - WTF is that all about?

Malefice do a pretty decent version of I'm Broken, let down by flat production IMHO. Avenged Sevenfold's version of Walk is OK, but that song has probably been covered to death now.

So - to the main event, as far as this forum is concerned. Evile do a storming version of Cemetery Gates. It sounds amazing, but Matt's vocals are the biggest suprise - Wow!:worship:

You'd have to say Ol absolutely nails the solo too - stunning!:OMG:

More to follow:

I thought Zakk's was decent until the fucking solo
Most of the guys on the cd could have used a little more "umph" in their playing. Of course Evile's was good.

real good tribute cd. i like most the covers on it. Cemetary gates is spot on imo. avenged sevenfold do a good job on walk as do machine head with fucking hostile. the magazine is worth getting just for the dimebag poster

Personally i would say Evile's and Machine Head's is the only good ones that i would listen to
I don't know about anything else other than whats off Vulgar Display and Cowboys because that's all ive heard.

The drumbeat from A new level reminded me of Fix by Static X which was.... not the intention?

I think Evile and Machine definitely got it right by just sticking to it.

Also highlights for me the tiny things that make a song good. If A New Level was on a 5fdp record i wouldn't be blown away by it like i was first time i heard Pantera's original. And if i bought that Kiuas one i would just kill the solo with a foot. Along with most of the song............

Right, I mustered up the courage to listen to it (yes, including Cemetery Gates) so...

Suicide Note Pt. 1 - not too bad, Zakk's vocals piss me off a little though
Fucking Hostile - FAR better than the live version, but still not as good as it could have been
I'm Broken - Pretty crap. The effects on the solo were pointless.
Walk - I've heard this a thousand times before, and its so-so. Once again, vocals are the worst bit
A New Level - Fucking shit, absolutely fucking atrocious cover.
Mouth for War - Great, but the mix/master and guitar tone are fucking terrible
Strength Beyond Strength - A surprisingly great one here, very well done
Slaughtered - Better than I thought it'd be, but the vocals again...
Becoming - Its pretty much identical to the original, which is exactly what I expected. SO close to the original that its not that good.
Sandblasted Skin - VERY good, but some of the guitar parts don't sound right
This Love - Awful
Rise - couldn't careless for it
5 Minutes Alone - decent instrumental, appalling vocals (AGAIN)

As for Cemetary Gates.... no comment.