• other

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
Ok, reading through the Terrorizer thread reminded me that I wanted to post this poll a few days ago. I read a bunch of metal mags, and I was curious as to everyone else's opinions on that topic.

What is the BEST magazine in your opinion? Keep in mind things like quality of review skills, quality of writing/overall interview techniques, extras (free CDs, etc), best content, etc. Things like that. It would be great if you posted your thoughts and reasons as opposed to just saying 'Terrorizer.'

Anyway, what do y'all think?

I voted Unrestrained. Their interviews are better and they have more reviews than most others. Plus, I like Kevi-metal's reviews in the back of the mag

I love Unrestrained as well Dream, but the 4x a year thing puts me off.

I voted BW&BK, because it's a close to a high-quality "mainstream" metal mag that currently exists (meaning they get the TOP interviews, always), it's well put together and written well, has great tidbits & gossip, and a shitload of decently written reviews. Though it's fair to say I take all their reviews with a grain of salt, since they're all from the Martin Popoff school of metal these days...

It's the only metal mag I can find. Well, I could find the other ones, but I'm lazy. I've read a couple of issues of Unrestrained and was pretty impressed, but I haven't read it enough to give it a fair rating.

Not that I need to defend my own opinion, but there you go :)

Terrorizer is overall the best metal mag I've read as far as coverage and quality of content. Being from America, though, Terrorizer is a little more difficult to find than Metal Maniacs (which I feel isn't all that great as far as the quality, but they cover all the awesome bands). I've found that Revolver is a good metal mag, even though they cover some nu-metal stuff, you should check out the latest issue with the 69 greatest metal albums of all time list.

Originally posted by St. Vitus
It's the only metal mag I can find. Well, I could find the other ones, but I'm lazy. I've read a couple of issues of Unrestrained and was pretty impressed, but I haven't read it enough to give it a fair rating.

Not that I need to defend my own opinion, but there you go :)

No, you don't need to defend your opinion, but I'm glad you admitted it!

Hey, you live in Colorado right? If you're anywhere near Denver, go check out Wax Trax (near downtown) - they carry a good selection of metal mags. Or, if you live anywhere near Colorado Springs, go find Pit Magazine, the store. The dude that works there is very cool and they obviously carry Pit as well.

Otherwise, I get every magazine I put in this poll at either Tower Records or Barnes & Noble. You should really check them out. Good luck and happy hunting.

I voted Metal Maniacs. The biggest reason is for a while it was the only mag I could find and I really enjoy the mag. I know how alot of the reviewers write their stuff and I know what they like, and I can compare my tastes with theirs to get a very good idea of what I will get from the review.

BW&BK is OK. Don't like SOD at all, seems all the writers do is rip on their readers (how funny) and really haven't heard of many of the other mags.

My 2 cents...

I'm not knocking Metal Maniacs. It's certainly the best domestic (USA) I think, though I'm not entirely certain where they all come from.

BW&BK comes with an a great CD (usually), and Terrorizer is incredibly well-written. And if you don't like serious black & death, SOD won't be for you.

I voted Terrorizer because over the past several years, I have learned more about metal (especially European metal) from them, than I have anywhere else. Unrestrained! is excellent, but 4 issues a year knocks them to second. Terrorizer is also VERY professional. I also like that they aren't afraid to step outside the "typical" world of metal and bring in some new flavors.

I voted for Metal Maniacs because I have been reading it for 10 years and it is the most common metal magazine in my area. I'm starting to branch off into other magazines and have been enjoying Terrorizer and Unrestrained. I picked up the Pit the other day but thought the interviews were short and missed the crazy Horrorscopes they used to print many years ago.

grimiore (pronounced grim war) is describe as a metal magazine written for assholes by asswholes. they have hilarious interviews with extreme metal bands and hot topless chics!
~gR~