Metal Music videos

Daybreaker

Red, Hot, and Heavy
Jul 6, 2002
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
I'm probably in the minority but I love watching real metal music videos. Hell, I even said fuck it and bought the US version of Once so I could see the Wish I Had an Angel vid.

My questions are though, do most of you even watch metal videos, and if you do what's your favorite type?

I personally hate "live" vids, not live performance but when a band just uses onstage footage and splices them. Iron Maiden has that syndrome where the first vid for an album is a "proper" one then the second is simply a montage of footage from their tour. I love cool, simple, band performance vids, ie Wish I had an Angel, Primal Fear's Angel in Black, Balance of Power's Against the Odds, and the most metal video of all time Manowars Warriors of the World United. I swear to god every metal cliche is in there but the big titted strippers and they were in the Return of the Warlord one so hey. I mean cmon you have leather, metal, chains, chains on FIRE, explosions, machines that do nothing but make sparks, forest shots, snow shots, lightning (even if it is fake) during the guitar solos, now thats metal.

Evergrey's videos though are some of the best I've seen, I'm Sorry and The Masterplan are just brilliant, great concept, great direction and the overall surrealness of them are simply bad ass.

Ben

I forgot to add this, more top honors go to Edguy for Lavatory Love Machine and its silliness and the vid for Wolf and Raven actually uses special effects in a good way instead of super cartoon rendered cheese.

Amen to everything you said, fuck the gay ass "live" videos...

Another video that I like, despite the band hates it, is Needled 24/7 by Children of Bodom...

Ever seen Shaman's video for Fairy Tale?

Oh man, I didnt even know that Shaman made a video. Some hard as shit vids to find that I want to see desperately are Make Believe, Lisbon (did Angra do one for this? I know it was a huge commercial hit in Brazil), Pc 69's Shame, ANY Pretty Maids, and all the Harem Scarem vids. The Harem Scarem I did find on some Japanese dvd for like 45 bucks but its only about that long in minutes too.

Ben

Another "can I git a 'Hell Yeah!' " on that.

Live videos are ok only if you were either there or have the entire concert.

Some of the vids out there do rock some serious hardcoreness. I wish I could have seen the ManOwaR one, I've seen some of the 9-11 fan-tribute ones, but not the official ones. One thing that I read about one of the tributes couldn't be anymore true, and is really quite sick how popculture and corporate america are willing to make a buck on ANYTHING. The quote went something along the lines of:
"Here we are, everybody is trying to proclaim patriotism for 911 thinking that they are truly heroic. All these bands and what have you are making tributes to the brave people of the incident and songs to mourn it and all that as if they were always that way. BULLSHIT. look at their history and you see none of that. But then you have ManOwaR, whom devote their entire existence to the concept of Heavy Metal, which by nature encompasses BROTHERHOOD, COURAGE, ALLEGIANCE, BRAVERY and PATRIOTISM. They were parading these values based on the concepts alone without needing a real 'incident' to instigate them"

Anyway, back to the original statement. The REAL videos of bands do kick ass. Wolf & Raven was awesome through and through, but the only bad thing I can say about Sonata is that THEY LIVE TOO DAMNED FAR AWAY. Nightwish has some great ones as well, I haven't seen Wish I had an Angel yet, but Nemo and Over the Hills were great. (Though Nemo confuses me as I'm not particularly sure what the hell is going on). I absolutely LOVED EverGrey's Masterplan, that was very spooky in its appeal to match the mood of the song perfectly.

I want to say I remember seeing a Therion video (an older song, but post-death-metal days) and liking it, but i can't remember for the life of me what song or what it was about!
Some of the best emotion-inducing video+song correlation I have to award to Sentenced. Both No One There and Killing Me, Killing You were very deep.

HOWEVER... in the end, the winner for Best-Music-Video-Ever: Weird Al - "Fat"

I saw a live Shaman dvd "Ritualive" I think thats the name of it. It has Andi Deris and Tobias Sammet as Special Guests.

Angra did one for Make Believe (really good, you can find it on shit like kazaa or winmx) and they also did for Time I think... Now Lisbon, I don't think you'll like it... It's a "live" video with the studio song being played...

The "Nemo" video is really great. Rhapsody's "Rain of a thousand flames" is a great video, and "Unholy Warcry" is good too. UDO's "Train ride in Russia" from the new Thunderball album is a fun video to watch.
Some other good ones:
GammaRay's "Rebellion in Dremland"
Helloween's classic "Halloween"
Symphorce: "Cause of laughter""
Within Temptation; "Mother Earth" and "Running up that hill"
Mob Rules: "Black Rain"
Firewind: "I am the anger"

One of my favorite videos ever is the Summernight City cover by Therion.

I think that is probably the one I was thinking of. I shall have to dig it up and watch it again.

I'm going to argue that the most "metal" video ever is actually The Book of Heavy Metal by Dream Evil .
I NEED TO SEE THIS!!! I have been taunted by people saying it rules. I even bought the album with DVD at PPV, but alas, I am retarded and lost it!

Some of my favourite vids are
Lost Horizon - Again will the Fire Burn
bathory - One road to Asa bay
Amon Amarth - Death in Fire
manowar - warriors of the world united
manowar - return of the warlord

Prog & Power metal vids are the hardest to find, where do you guys find/see them?

I'm asking because I collect music videos. I have around 400 metal videos mostly in mpeg format but most of them are from the 80s when I used to watch and record Headbanger's Ball religiously. I've managed to get some more recent videos that have been on cds and such. There's nothing like a huge playlist of metal videos that just doesn't end.

I haven't seen the Nightwish videos mentioned but I do have the Dream Evil video. That video's got me so hooked on this band, I'm dying to see them live. All my metal prayers are going out to Glenn, the Metal Promoter God, that he will bring them to ProgPower for one of the third slots.

And there's nothing I hate more than a song with a great story line but the video is done live. It really takes away from the magic of the song.

Some of best metal vids are Rage "Down" as well as Dimmu Borgir "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse"
Other solid vids are:
Evergrey "Touch of Blessing", "I'm Sorry" and "Masterplan"
Bodom "Sixpounder", "Needled 24/7", "Everytime I Die"
Stratovarius "Eagleheart" (I hate that song, but vid is pretty cool...simple but funny)
Brainstorm "Highs Without Lows"
Nightwish "Nemo" (don't like song too much but vid is cool)
Soilwork (the one with computer animations)
In Flames "Only for the Weak"
Dark Tranquillity "Monochromatic Stains"
Sonata Arctica "Wolf & Raven"
Crematory "Fallen" (not sure if that is name)
Kreator "Violent Revolution"

Those are just off the top of my head...

Most good metal vids are from melodic death, thrash bands. Most power metal vids (especially Rhapsody) suck big time, and prog bands don't make many vids.

Whew, Alex, you just barely got there before me in praising "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse." I was stunned at the amount of money the label spent on it -- for a (relatively) unknown Norwegian black-metal band? Wow!

I forgot to mention Sentenced. They have a few cool videos like "Killing Me Killing You" and "No One There"...depressive stuff but nicely done.

Daybreaker said:
Oh man, I didnt even know that Shaman made a video. Some hard as shit vids to find that I want to see desperately are Make Believe, Lisbon (did Angra do one for this? I know it was a huge commercial hit in Brazil), Pc 69's Shame, ANY Pretty Maids, and all the Harem Scarem vids. The Harem Scarem I did find on some Japanese dvd for like 45 bucks but its only about that long in minutes too.

Ben
Shaman's Fairy tale is cheesy as hell.. But Angra's Make Believe is awesome!
That video got me into metal, actually :)
It was back in 1997... It was in HEAVY rotation in the Brazilian MTV, #1 on TRL and everything... It was nomitated for a couple of brazilian VMA's, including Viewer's Choice, best rock video and stuff.. :)

When I saw them on MTV i didn't even know they were brazilians! LOL and I didn't know they were metal.. But I feel in love with that song, I had to buy Holy Land...
I remember the day I bought the CD, it was the first CD I ever bought.. That same day I also bought Silverchair's Freak Show... LOL