Metal musicians with music degrees

The Butt

The Admiral
Sep 10, 2007
The void.
Preferably extreme metal musicians :V

I did a few searches both in Google, and in GMD hoping to find some, but I haven't gotten any helpful results.

tl;dr I'm in a debate with people who are arguing that growling isn't a legitimate vocal style... they're saying that without a degree in art, or without word from any metal musician who has "high musical standing" or a degree, I have no grounds to claim otherwise. Fucking faggots

Decapitated's original members all graduated from music school..I think Sauron even got a Master's degree in Music..and he's the vocalist! That ought to show the people you are arguing with!

Preferably extreme metal musicians :V

I did a few searches both in Google, and in GMD hoping to find some, but I haven't gotten any helpful results.

tl;dr I'm in a debate with people who are arguing that growling isn't a legitimate vocal style... they're saying that without a degree in art, or without word from any metal musician who has "high musical standing" or a degree, I have no grounds to claim otherwise. Fucking faggots
I bet that they are pretentious classical fags who think that they are so sophisticated because they are able to namedrop like 2 composers, and try to pretend they are such adults.

*edit* lol the tl;dr part is longer then the rest of the post.

maybe Ihsahn? He teaches music now. And umm George Kollias teaches drumming, all the guys in Between the Buried and Me went to school for music. Thats all I can think of atm

I heard somewhere that Colin Marston and whats-his-face-other-guy who plays the yellow RG in Behold... The Arctopus both have degrees in Jazz Guitar.

Ihsahn said in an interview that Lars Norberg from Spiral Architect went to school for music.

I think the guys in Scale the Summit went to some musical tech school. They took a class on how to make guitars, that much I know.

I know Ron Jarzombek makes his living teaching guitar. I don't think he has a degree, but he knows more about music theory than 99% of other musicians out there.

What about Alex Skolnick? I don't know about his degrees but obviously he's done the whole jazz thing..