German Metal & Hardrock scene

D

Dillinger85

Goodday everyone,

I am a musician from the Netherlands who would like to know a few things about the music scene in Germany
I really want to know, what about the popularity of metal in Germany ? The metal and rock genres that thrive in Germany? I also wonder where most bands are formed in North, South or Central Germany ? Are there any musicians or bands on this forum who know more about the metal and hard rock scene in Germany ? I myself am a musician who wants to move to Germany in a few years. I would greatly appreciate it if there were substantive and insightful responses to my message.

Have a nice day everyone and keep making music.

I'm not a musician, so I didn't feel explicitly addressed, but I might be the only German still posting here every once in a while. I'd say that metal is still very popular in Germany. My impression is that whenever bands are touring in Europe, they play at least some concerts in Germany. There are several regular festivals, the by far biggest and most popular probably being Wacken. Can't say anything about them based on personal experience, because I'm not a fan of such huge events. As for the genres that thrive in Germany, I think traditional/old school metal still does very well here, though people listen to other metal styles as well. However, if a band hardly anyone has heard of before is playing a concert, you might end up in front of just a handful of people. I have absolutely no idea in which part of Germany most bands are formed. Also, even before corona put a halt to nearly any concert activity, I usually needed less than one hand to count the metal concerts I attended each year, but that's probably because of my very selective taste in music.