How are black people treated in the metal scene?

It's not okay to be white. I would imagine black people in the scene are treated pretty well. Since everyone wants to be black.

In all seriousness, in response to Sylice, and on a sociological note, stereotypical white people tend to see black people in particular as all into rap, all Tyler Perry fans, etc etc whatever whatever. And the only black person they'll notice as different is one who is visually counter culture. It is a shame that the only way for a person of color to stand out as an individual in the grand melting pot of public life is to have that thing about them that says hey, I'm not a stereotype.

It's weird that shit like this seems so much more common in the US than in the UK, given that the former has a significantly higher proportion of black people.

^at the risk of sounding ignorant don't people of the different areas in the UK have a similar accent to those around them? That subconscious camaraderie might play a part.

I absolutely see what you're saying and understand if my point was misunderstood. Perhaps it's because we're having a conversation within the context of music and I was actually commentating within the entire scope of individuality.

If a black dude say goes to the store wearing a tech n9NE shirt he's just assumed to be a stereotype. Dude must play basketball, smoke weed and rap, right? Who's to say that guy doesn't go home and look at bugs under a microscope for fun? Meanwhile a black dude at a store in a Metallica shirt sets the stage in others minds of oh, he's unique, I bet he does unique things.

That's the kind of stripping of individuality I'm talking about. Music isn't the only indication of personality, but in the context of OP question, he'd find himself very welcome because of it.

I only used music as an example because we were already talking about music and this is of course a music forum.

My overall problem with how you're framing this is that, other people asserting your individuality for you seems to me to be counter to the concept of individuality.

I only used music as an example because we were already talking about music and this is of course a music forum.

My overall problem with how you're framing this is that, other people asserting your individuality for you seems to me to be counter to the concept of individuality.

On a deserted island, is someone really an individual? Of course others play a part.

Think we're both bored of this conversation though, cheers. I have a Nanny marathon to watch and pizza to smash.

On a deserted island, is someone really an individual? Of course others play a part.

Think we're both bored of this conversation though, cheers. I have a Nanny marathon to watch and pizza to smash.

Sure, on a deserted island you're an individual quite literally. :lol:

I wish I had pizza.

^at the risk of sounding ignorant don't people of the different areas in the UK have a similar accent to those around them? That subconscious camaraderie might play a part.

That probably contributes to it. The UK does, for a country less than half the size of Texas, have a ridiculous number of accents, but after their regional nature the most important factor is 'class'. My accent, and the accent of most of the people I went to school with, is significantly different to the accent of most of the people in the hour or so drive around me that went to fee paying schools. Race seems largely irrelevant in this regard.

And people tend to adapt the way they speak to those around them, so. Yeah.

I guess one of the few benefits to the UK's continued fixation on class is that it makes it, compared with much of the rest of the world, somewhat less racist.

If you're on a low income, it doesn't matter two fucks if you're black or white. You're still a subhuman benefits scrounging cunt.

britain is absolutely rife with racism lol. it's just less focused on blacks and more focused on muslims (and to a lesser extent east europeans).

Stereotypes are just one of many wonderful skills humans have been endowed with for the purpose of rapidly sorting individuals into mental bins with significant implications in personal safety, time management, and mate-choosing, to name a few.

Stereotypes are just one of many wonderful skills humans have been endowed with for the purpose of rapidly sorting individuals into mental bins with significant implications in personal safety, time management, and mate-choosing, to name a few.

I hope you're being serious. We need to hang if you are. Just don't try to have sex with me.

Very serious, I've been an obsessive judge of individuals for as long as I remember. For example, in 6th grade, due to a sickly main teacher, I used to keep a quasi-spreadsheet of all of the various substitute teachers we'd get over the period, and rate them according to various performance metrics while noting their identifiable characteristics, and then attempt to make predictions of their quality according to said characteristics. Being fat was usually a negative, but that will probably help with hanging off of you.

Did you correct a perceived grammatical/word-choice error in that quote? I've never seen someone correct a person's quote without announcing that they had made an error and drawing attention to it. I was attempting to make a love handles joke. Attempts at sex will be had, sorry man.

well, you're still alive i suppose, and you obviously use your time very wisely based on the countless hours you spend arguing about nothing on message boards, but how's the mating situation? are you sure the consistent application of this method isn't conducive to dying a childless virgin?

So you're telling me that if you see what appears to be one of those chav creatures so common in your homeland, you don't automatically make certain judgments regarding their personality, or perhaps allow it to influence your attraction to them?

chavs are easily the most successful breeders in the UK though, they rival rabbits in this regard. i'd probably be a great grandfather by now if i'd only cast aside my biases and search for the Human Beneath The Chav.