Metal nowadays...

Originally posted by phlogiston
Do you think there's room in metal nowadays for another "monster" metal band, like Maiden, Slayer, Metallica et al? You know, those bands whose pictures are in the dictionary under "metal", and who EVERYBODY has heard of.

It seems to me that metal now is too "wide" now, with too many categories of metal for one band to come along and just totally dominate the scene. It used to me a much more narrow genre, so really good bands could crossover and be popular. Now it seems that even the best new bands can only get a portion of the metal community excited.

Thoughts?

True. Metal has become a very fractured genre, but I still think there are bands that at least everyone knows, if not likes. I don't think any band from today will ever be as big as the three you mentioned, only because Maiden are one of the biggest bands ever, and Metallica and Slayer practically invented a whole new style of metal, and everything that's come since has come from that. But I still think that there are newer names out there that everyone remotely interested in metal has heard of, and I'm thinking of bands like Pantera, Sepultura and Fear Factory. Say those names just about anywhere and people will know what you're talking about.

Originally posted by Goreripper

I'm thinking of bands like Pantera, Sepultura and Fear Factory. Say those names just about anywhere and people will know what you're talking about.

Yeah, but those bands have been around since the late 80's at least (maybe not Fear Factory), and I would put all of them in the "monster" category (maybe not Fear Factory). In fact, when I was thining about this further, Pantera was the latest monster band I could think of.

In reading the responses, the general feel seems to be "no, there's not much chance of it happening again."

METAL IS WHAT WE ALL NEED

Nowadays, some freaks said that metal is LINKIN' PARK, SLIPKNOT etc. Where's the METAL? Where's the GLORY of METAL with them?
I'm not very sure with these nu-metallers for spreading the METAL!!! The only think here is how to make money from the great music on Earth.
:devil: :devil: :devil: